PDA

View Full Version : Still in shock over Grammy Award Best Album

logos34
March 31st, 2009, 02:15 AM
I was just sitting here listening to all of Radiohead's In Rainbows album, blown away as usual, and still unable to fathom how it didn't get 2009 Best album (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29089824/). I mean, it was THE music event of 2007/8. It is vintage Radiohead, an instantly recognizable classic, a beautiful-sounding record as good if not better than Hail to the Chief, and in the future probably as influential as The Bends or OK Computer. I just can't believe Plant and Krauss swept the award ceremony...And Coldplay's Viva la Vida as Best Rock Album--not only that but the title track as Best Song of the Year??? Gimme a break! All the mainstream critics were just overflowing with praise for that insipid "chamber pop" ditty. Don't get me wrong--I'm a serious fan of Coldplay, but that album was a BIG disappointment. Now, I fully appreciate their tough position--you know, wanting to change their style and all, to grow artistically and not get trapped in a certain sound...Not to mention the fact that A Rush of Blood to the Head and X&Y are hard acts to follow even if they had wanted to...Viva as I see it has only four decent tracks: "Lost!" thru "Yes". The rest is forgettable. Simply put, here's just not much musically interesting going on (esp. compared to Rainbows). Oh, and "Rainy Day" from Prospekt's March--which for the life of me I don't know how got left off the album (really cool even if the bouncy bass line fairly reeks of No Doubt's "It's My Life"). Just goes to show how dumbed-down the glitzy, pop showbiz scene has become. Just because you're the most successful band around (with enough loot to buy the world several times over), everyone thinks your next album has to be a masterpiece! The critics apparently didn't even notice the irony in the lyrics to "Yes", which could pass for criticism of the Viva recording sessions that didn't pan out:

When it started we had high hopes
Now my back's on the line
My back's on the ropes

When it started we were alright
But night makes a fool of us in the daylight

Yeah we were dying of frustration
Saying "Lord lead me not into temptation"

God only, God knows I'm trying my best
But I'm just so tired of this loneliness

It's as if the jury gave In Rainbows an honorable mention with the "Best Alternative" album slot. (oh, and best "box set" something or other award). What a joke...

And I'm not the only one who thinks "Reckoner" is an absolutely sublime song, which will go down as one of rock's greatest. Why it didn't win in place of "Viva" is beyond me. (Although, to be fair, there are apparently many who feel the song is the band's most underrated even by its own fans--sth which, again, amazes me).

Any thoughts?

Sealbhach
March 31st, 2009, 02:17 AM
De gustibus non est disputandum

PilotJLR
March 31st, 2009, 02:24 AM
I feel the same way... In Rainbows should have won. Best record since OK Computer.

swoll1980
March 31st, 2009, 02:31 AM
I say who cares what those Grammy idiots think.

myusername
March 31st, 2009, 03:17 AM
i agree with the plant and krauss album. it was actually really good. but coldplay sucked. in rainbows is way better

DeadSuperHero
March 31st, 2009, 03:28 AM
To be honest, I'm not much of a Radiohead fan. Their particular take on music somehow escapes me, sadly.

I didn't really think "In Rainbows" was really all that great. Sure, it was nice that it was free and in OGG VORBIS/FLAC, but their sound just seemed gritty and random on the album to me.

Perhaps I lack the depth for understanding this particular band. I'm a lover of the horrorbilly genre myself.

logos34
March 31st, 2009, 03:46 AM
To be honest, I'm not much of a Radiohead fan. Their particular take on music somehow escapes me, sadly.

I didn't really think "In Rainbows" was really all that great. Sure, it was nice that it was free and in OGG VORBIS/FLAC, but their sound just seemed gritty and random on the album to me.

Perhaps I lack the depth for understanding this particular band. I'm a lover of the horrorbilly genre myself.

To each his own. Admittedly, there are a couple of songs on it that don't quite reach the mark. But overall it's excellent--what's happening with the lyrics as well (note the effect of the word spacing on the booklet). It is already near the top of the 'essential' album lists. Maybe it appears better than it actually is, compared with all the other stuff that been coming out recently, but I feel that's not really fair. I guess I'm just at a point where I'm looking around and trying to appreciate things that I feel are worthy of attention.

As for the rest, you're all correct to say 'to heck with what they think.' But all the same, it makes you wonder. I mean, it's so obvious who should have won. If Slumdog could win best pix at the academy, well...

My personal feeling is that their choice basically came down to: "jee, the Best Album and Best Artist category is the centerpiece of the show--we can't go giving it to a weirdo British group with synthesizers. Let's see, our audience will know who Robert Plant is, though"

Firestem4
March 31st, 2009, 03:48 AM
The Grammy's means nothing. Did anyone catch the pre-award shows and all that? Its just a popularity contest (and a bad one at that.) I could care less about who wins a grammy or not. I know who is good.

(Which really bugs me how the Jonas Brothers got best new band....*cringe and grumble....*)

Ewingo401
March 31st, 2009, 03:53 AM
Radiohead definitely doesn't need the Grammy, as their music and incredibly huge fan base already speak to their talent. But still it would have been nice to see them get some public recognition for their greatness. I have a feeling that they're going to be one of those timeless bands that are not truly appreciated (by the world at large) until they're done playing.

Chilli Bob
March 31st, 2009, 04:16 AM
Come on. has anyone ever cared about the Grammys"?? I mean EVER? Just ignore them, like anyone who likes good music.

Having said that, I've never been able to get into Radiohead. They're not "bad", just not my scene.

mkendall
March 31st, 2009, 04:53 AM
I have two words that convey my opinion of the relevance of the Grammys: "Milli" and "Vanilli."

logos34
March 31st, 2009, 05:45 AM
yeah, I know they're full of sh*t just as much as the next person. We probably shouldn't pay any attention to them whatsoever (ditto for the Oscars). Still, it struck me as odd how In Rainbows was given perfunctory aknowledgement in the 'alternative' category, while Viva la Vida--an inferior album in every way--gets the more important Best 'Rock' album and it's title track Best Song to boot.

Maybe I should have never mentioned the Grammys but instead asked who thought In Rainbows was a significant album? You know, they're in the news--headlining the Reading and Leeds festival I hear--and even planning on returning to the studio to record some more material (!!!). Personally, to those who say they just don't quite 'connect' to Radiohead, well, I used to be that way too, but I now see them as one of the few really important bands out there. I can't wait for their next release.

RiceMonster
March 31st, 2009, 05:48 AM
I never understood why people get upset about music awards or some top 100 list they read in a magazine. They're always bad, so who cares? I mean, does it make you like whatever band any less?

darrenn
March 31st, 2009, 07:01 AM
Actually the biggest robbery and this was a MAJOR robbery was radiohead and coldplay both losing out at this years brit awards to duffy. wtf? I call shenagians! But I do agree with you over that grammy thing.

xg43x
March 31st, 2009, 09:17 AM
Reckoner is hands down one of the greatest songs to grace my ears. In Rainbows will go into history as one of the greatest albums of our time.

logos34
March 31st, 2009, 09:26 AM
Reckoner is hands down one of the greatest songs to grace my ears. In Rainbows will go into history as one of the greatest albums of our time.

I'm still try to figure out the low strings at the end of Reckoner...sounds familiar but I can't pin it down...Reminded me of Gorecki, thought it might be inspired by Symphony of Sorrowful Songs, but not sure...hmm

pwnst*r
March 31st, 2009, 12:25 PM
ever since jethro tull beat out metallica in the metal category, who gives a flying crap?

LowSky
March 31st, 2009, 02:55 PM
Radiohead lost because of Miley Cirus... :lolflag:

Simian Man
March 31st, 2009, 03:06 PM
See that's the thing about music: It's Subjective!. I think Radiohead sucks equally as much as those that did win.

theDaveTheRave
February 24th, 2010, 06:25 PM
so hello all....

I'm was just searching for a way to sound off against Robbie williams, and this seems like a good thread.

First off I agree with simian man in that it is all subjective.....

Also this is a new post into a thread that is now fairly old! However I am going to continue....

So I recently heard that Robbie Williams scooped the 'lifetime acheivemen award' at the britts recently. I'm a littl late off the mark as these things take a while to get reported in france :P

So I was a bit surprised, the guy isn't that old and isn't really that influential... is he??

A brief praisey of what he has done in his 15 year carreer.....

Was the front man for a second rate boy band. That decided to dress up like the beatles and do a cover for previous britt award ceremony (as if they would ever have that level of talent!).

He was the only one of the band to manage to continue a career after the band split.... even though he was the least talented (musically) of all them... he just happened to be good looking (well sort of!?).

I was always horrified how he somehow managed to get such good material, when there seemed to be many more deserving better artists out there.

So now I hear that he has this life time acheivement award.....

I'm not sure if this is a good thing or not..... I assume that this means he is at the end of his career (Hooray), thank god for that!

well that is allmost the end of my award ceremony rant....

other than to say that the following has more talent in it than Robbie Williams could ever hope for

:guitar:

at least he plays an instrument.... I bet he can read music too!

David

doas777
February 24th, 2010, 06:29 PM
Op: I have no idea what you just said. I guess I'm growing out of touch with my advancing years. that and anything that gets radio play, just sucks.

koshatnik
February 24th, 2010, 09:20 PM
I was just sitting here listening to all of Radiohead's In Rainbows album, blown away as usual, and still unable to fathom how it didn't get 2009 Best album (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29089824/). I mean, it was THE music event of 2007/8. It is vintage Radiohead, an instantly recognizable classic, a beautiful-sounding record as good if not better than Hail to the Chief, and in the future probably as influential as The Bends or OK Computer. I just can't believe Plant and Krauss swept the award ceremony...And Coldplay's Viva la Vida as Best Rock Album--not only that but the title track as Best Song of the Year??? Gimme a break! All the mainstream critics were just overflowing with praise for that insipid "chamber pop" ditty. Don't get me wrong--I'm a serious fan of Coldplay, but that album was a BIG disappointment. Now, I fully appreciate their tough position--you know, wanting to change their style and all, to grow artistically and not get trapped in a certain sound...Not to mention the fact that A Rush of Blood to the Head and X&Y are hard acts to follow even if they had wanted to...Viva as I see it has only four decent tracks: "Lost!" thru "Yes". The rest is forgettable. Simply put, here's just not much musically interesting going on (esp. compared to Rainbows). Oh, and "Rainy Day" from Prospekt's March--which for the life of me I don't know how got left off the album (really cool even if the bouncy bass line fairly reeks of No Doubt's "It's My Life"). Just goes to show how dumbed-down the glitzy, pop showbiz scene has become. Just because you're the most successful band around (with enough loot to buy the world several times over), everyone thinks your next album has to be a masterpiece! The critics apparently didn't even notice the irony in the lyrics to "Yes", which could pass for criticism of the Viva recording sessions that didn't pan out:

When it started we had high hopes
Now my back's on the line
My back's on the ropes

When it started we were alright
But night makes a fool of us in the daylight

Yeah we were dying of frustration
Saying "Lord lead me not into temptation"

God only, God knows I'm trying my best
But I'm just so tired of this loneliness

It's as if the jury gave In Rainbows an honorable mention with the "Best Alternative" album slot. (oh, and best "box set" something or other award). What a joke...

And I'm not the only one who thinks "Reckoner" is an absolutely sublime song, which will go down as one of rock's greatest. Why it didn't win in place of "Viva" is beyond me. (Although, to be fair, there are apparently many who feel the song is the band's most underrated even by its own fans--sth which, again, amazes me).

Any thoughts?

Awards are meaningless and are marketing tools, nothing more.

Radiohead are a tedious band, imho. Pink Floyd for teenagers. Yawn.