PDA

View Full Version : Best webcam to use

Excedio
March 31st, 2009, 01:20 AM
Hey All

I currently own two webcams that are not compatible in Lunix. Here are my questions:

What are you all using?
How are the FPS?
How is the overall quality?

dragos240
March 31st, 2009, 01:22 AM
I'd say buy a simple webcam that was once made for windows 9x computers, they generally work fine.

Mehall
March 31st, 2009, 01:35 AM
+1 to that.

There should be a universal input/output for them like there is for flash drives.

Excedio
March 31st, 2009, 01:40 AM
I'd say buy a simple webcam that was once made for windows 9x computers, they generally work fine.

Can you possibly give me a Make/Model? Tired of trying webcams that don't work...would prefer someone say so and so brand and model work in linux.

Thanks for the quick response. :)

Chemical Imbalance
March 31st, 2009, 01:43 AM
Here's a list:
http://www.ubuntuhcl.org/browse/search+webcams?category=33

dragos240
March 31st, 2009, 01:44 AM
Can you possibly give me a Make/Model? Tired of trying webcams that don't work...would prefer someone say so and so brand and model work in linux.

Thanks for the quick response. :)

Since I only have 1 webcam for 98 and haven't EVER used it in linux, I can't say much, the reason that I said that it would work on linux if it worked on 98 is because the general hardware they had back then was very basic, and the designs were simple, i have a simple and very basic one, i forget the model, but i can go ask my dad. I WILL get back to you.

Excedio
March 31st, 2009, 01:46 AM
Since I only have 1 webcam for 98 and haven't EVER used it in linux, I can't say much, the reason that I said that it would work on linux if it worked on 98 is because the general hardware they had back then was very basic, and the designs were simple, i have a simple and very basic one, i forget the model, but i can go ask my dad. I WILL get back to you.

Awesome...you rock :-)

dragos240
March 31st, 2009, 01:52 AM
Awesome...you rock :-)

Okay, my dad is going on a conference call in 10 minutes, I will have to get back to you tomorrow.

Excedio
March 31st, 2009, 01:57 AM
Okay, my dad is going on a conference call in 10 minutes, I will have to get back to you tomorrow.

No problem...i'm patient :)

I also checked out OP suggested website. Sounds like the Logitech E3500 is a pretty good fit for Ubuntu. Great rating.

JackieChan
March 31st, 2009, 03:30 AM
Try getting a Playstation Eye Toy or Xbox Live cam. The quality is amazing and it works right out of the box in Skype.

TiffanyJohnson
March 31st, 2009, 05:02 AM
Eye toy works on my setup.

Excedio
March 31st, 2009, 05:11 AM
Try getting a Playstation Eye Toy or Xbox Live cam. The quality is amazing and it works right out of the box in Skype.

Thanks for the recommendation...much appreciated.

Excedio
March 31st, 2009, 05:16 AM
Which Eye Toy should I look into getting? Does it not matter?

JackieChan
March 31st, 2009, 05:57 AM
I never owned the one on the left, so right off the bat I'm going to recommend the one on the right for you. It's a very high quality camera, and it even doubles as a microphone. :P

The drivers for the one on the right are easier to find too. Here are the drivers for it when you do get an eyetoy... http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=272328

Excedio
March 31st, 2009, 06:07 AM
I never owned the one on the left, so right off the bat I'm going to recommend the one on the right for you. It's a very high quality camera, and it even doubles as a microphone. :P

The drivers for the one on the right are easier to find too. Here are the drivers for it when you do get an eyetoy... http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=272328

Awesome...thanks a lot. You've been a big help to me.

Also, the one on the left is the new version of the Playstation Eye Toy, I guess they renamed it also. Playstation 3 Eye.

My fear of that one is, being that it's so new, it wont be compatible.

JackieChan
March 31st, 2009, 06:53 AM
That's why I didn't purchase the PS3 version of the Eye Toy. It's probably compatible with Windows, but I don't think there are any Linux drivers available yet. And it doesn't look like there's any major differences besides design and the PS3 model being built for HD video and sound quality.

JackieChan
March 31st, 2009, 06:57 AM
Yeah, just as a I thought. Did some further research and discovered the Playstation Eye (PS3 Eye Toy) doesn't have Linux drivers yet. There's an "on going effort to create drivers."

Looks like you're stuck with the PS2 one. :P
You can probably find it really cheap on eBay.

Excedio
March 31st, 2009, 03:32 PM
Yeah, just as a I thought. Did some further research and discovered the Playstation Eye (PS3 Eye Toy) doesn't have Linux drivers yet. There's an "on going effort to create drivers."

Looks like you're stuck with the PS2 one. :P
You can probably find it really cheap on eBay.

Yea...I've taken a look around ad saw a few websites already where I can buy it pretty cheap. Thanks for all the help, much appreciated. :)

Excedio
September 18th, 2009, 05:00 PM
Follow up...

Believe it or not...i'm successfully using a Microsoft webcam. :???: But it works with everything I've thrown at it, so it's hard to get picky.