PDA

View Full Version : Have I switched to ubuntu completely?

dragos240
March 31st, 2009, 12:06 AM
Hmm, I haven't used my vista computer in 10 months, and have been using ubuntu always, I don't plan to ever boot vista again, but my dad is forcing me to keep it on there. Does this mean I have switched completely?

billgoldberg
March 31st, 2009, 12:07 AM
No.

I don't know why that would be important, expect for "geek status".

I like Ubuntu, but I use three other OSs at least once a week, who cares?

dragos240
March 31st, 2009, 12:09 AM
But I like to be a geek! :D :p

billgoldberg
March 31st, 2009, 12:10 AM
But I like to be a geek! :D :p

:p:p

I'm pretty sure you could convince your father to let you wipe Vista, telling him you can install it in Virtualbox when you would need it.

dragos240
March 31st, 2009, 12:13 AM
:p:p

I'm pretty sure you could convince your father to let you wipe Vista, telling him you can install it in Virtualbox when you would need it.

He wants to use it as a backup OS unless i screw up ubuntu, but of course I have yet another ubuntu and all the linux-based recovery software a geek would ever need! And I told him that, still not convinced, I figured it's best not to argue.

billgoldberg
March 31st, 2009, 12:20 AM
He wants to use it as a backup OS unless i screw up ubuntu, but of course I have yet another ubuntu and all the linux-based recovery software a geek would ever need! And I told him that, still not convinced, I figured it's best not to argue.

True.

In the mean while you can shrink the Vista partition to a minimum and claim back your HDD space :p.

Excedio
March 31st, 2009, 12:21 AM

Get a Vista CD from MS. That way if anything happenes you can re-install to make him happy.

By the way....who's computer is it?

dragos240
March 31st, 2009, 12:22 AM
True.

In the mean while you can shrink the Vista partition to a minimum and claim back your HDD space :p.

I did that the day i installed ubuntu. And is it just me or is it just you and me talking here:lolflag:.

Get a Vista CD from MS. That way if anything happenes you can re-install to make him happy.

It's my computer, he just likes to monitor me, even though that won't do any good because I use ubuntu, so yes 14 and still being babysat.

Jersey Legend
March 31st, 2009, 12:27 AM
lol same here. I am dual booting xp, but ever since I've partitioned my hd, I very rarely used xp. I dont even miss it, and I've been using it since grade school

swoll1980
March 31st, 2009, 12:28 AM
I still use Windows, but because I'm forced to, and I hate using it. Does that mean I'm switched?

dragos240
March 31st, 2009, 12:28 AM
Ahem! Onto answering my question.... who thinks that i've completely switched to ubuntu.

lisati
March 31st, 2009, 12:29 AM

If it's your laptop, it's up to you.....

My vista laptop came with a tool to make a recovery DVD, which is one of the first things I did. I recently deleted the vista recovery partition(s) and freed up a handful of gigabytes to make more room for Ubuntu. Haven't had the heart to remove Vista completely yet (useful for some Windows software I like that I haven't yet found an Ubuntu-friendly equiavalent for yet)

Excedio
March 31st, 2009, 12:33 AM
Ahem! Onto answering my question.... who thinks that i've completely switched to ubuntu.

I would say yes. It's not your fault that you're being forced to keep it on the HDD. If you solely use the Ubuntu portion...i'd say yes, you are an official convert.

However......

Back up any important info on the Vista partition or move it to the Ubuntu partion.

When done...shrink that partion down to the bare minimum and allocate it to the Ubuntu partition.

Old_Grey_Wolf
March 31st, 2009, 12:34 AM
If you personally only use Ubuntu, then in my opinion you have.

I use multiple OSs because my job requires that I do.

Therion
March 31st, 2009, 12:36 AM
Only you know where your heart lies, grasshopper.