PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu Install in command prompt

sunseeker888
March 30th, 2009, 11:24 PM
HI Guys

I am trying to finally install ubuntu on my main pc. I succeeded migrating on 2 other laptops and one mini one.

I have turned my back on Vista completely as my main O/S.

I am trying to install ubuntu with a live cd. The installation starts, I get to choose language ect, then click install.

Then after I get the command prompt windows

ubuntu@ubuntun:~s

I have never got that before, and certainly do not know how to install from the command prompt or the command.

Could sombody tell me the command please, I even tried with the alternate cd and am not succeeding

HDD /dev/sb1

Thank you in advance

aheckler
March 30th, 2009, 11:49 PM
Are you using the server CD or the desktop CD? The server install CD would leave you with nothing more than the command line, but the desktop CD should give you GNOME and all that...

sunseeker888
March 30th, 2009, 11:52 PM
Are you using the server CD or the desktop CD?

the desktop live cd. I have used the same cd on three other units, and never got that command prompt

ajgreeny
March 31st, 2009, 12:27 AM
It's probably a hardware incompatibility problem of 8.10 with your particular setup. If you know the CD is alright and have already tried the low grade graphics install (one of the F function keys to get it, can't remember which) you could try the Alternate install CD or even the minimal install CD which then will download the rest of the packages at installation time, so there will be no updating after the install.

If the live CD boots to a desktop, then I don't know what else to suggest.

sunseeker888
March 31st, 2009, 11:09 PM
It's probably a hardware incompatibility problem of 8.10 with your particular setup. If you know the CD is alright and have already tried the low grade graphics install (one of the F function keys to get it, can't remember which) you could try the Alternate install CD or even the minimal install CD which then will download the rest of the packages at installation time, so there will be no updating after the install.

If the live CD boots to a desktop, then I don't know what else to suggest.

Thanks mate,

will give it a go in the weekend

Cheers