PDA

View Full Version : Help Me Think of a Free Software Social Network Name!

DeadSuperHero
March 30th, 2009, 10:45 PM
As the title suggests, I'm thinking of constructing a Free Software/Free Culture social network specifically for everyone: Ubuntu users, Debian developers, BSD advocates, etc. I'm willing to pay for a server, set up the CMS (currently, Elgg looks really sharp), and basically provide a Free alternative to Myspace and Facebook, with free web APIs for developers to code web applications, as well as desktop tools to manage their profiles if they wanted to.

The problem, however, is that I can't think of a domain name that isn't taken! I'm currently using the domai.nr tool to come up with ideas, but a lot of great names are usually bought in bulk by other hosting companies for ad space.

So, I'm turning to the community for help. This is going to be a hobby project of mine, but it needs a name.

A few guidelines when suggesting it:
-I would like the name to emphasize the importance of both community and freedom.
-I want the name to "pop", I want it to be simple and catchy.
-When proposing a name, please try and explain the meaning behind your name, and why you proposed it.
-If you want, try and show a simple logo to go with it.

Update 11-28-09:
Although necroposting in topics is usually discouraged here, I would like to bring this old thread up for air once more due to the fact that I am saving up money for a domain and hosting. Unfortunately, I still have yet to find a good name for the site, but I would love to see some more suggestions from any members that may have missed this thread before.

The main goal of this network is to center around two things: a network built WITH FOSS tools, and a social network catering to FOSS enthusiasts and developers. It would be a FOSS-community alternative to Facebook and Myspace and cater more towards geeks than average joes, but would maintain a different sort of functionality than identi.ca. (This hypothetical site is to Facebook as identi.ca is to Twitter, so to speak)

I'm also happy to report that the site will most likely be based on Elgg and will likely undergo a usability-testing alpha in about four months or so if everything moves along according to plan.

I am still greatly in need of a network name, but a rough skeleton of the site is being built on one of my private servers at home to test. It's actually going somewhere.

vegetarianshrimp
March 30th, 2009, 11:10 PM
how about these? (I checked domai.nr, and these are either "available" or "might be available")

freespace (.org)
-play on myspace
-adds the word free, like you asked for

ourspace (.net)
-play on myspace
-has the word our (instead of my) to be community-ish sounding

Other ones I thought of which I think aren't as good (and have not checked domai.nr):
wespace
linspace (lin=linux)
gnuspace

Mehall
March 30th, 2009, 11:14 PM
fossbook ?

foss-community

ermm...

s.fox
March 30th, 2009, 11:17 PM
+1 freespace.org

P.S. When did Facebook become non free? I am not on it, but MSO is and hasn't said anything.

damis648
March 30th, 2009, 11:19 PM
+1 freespace.org

P.S. When did Facebook become non free? I am not on it, but MSO is and hasn't said anything.

He means free as in beer, i think. :popcorn:

Hrm.. how about:
gnubook.org
gnunet.org

Ha, I have no ideas.

DeadSuperHero
March 30th, 2009, 11:25 PM
I meant free as in the sense that identi.ca is built on Free Software. Sites like Facebook and Myspace are largely built on proprietary software and influenced heavily by corporate subcultures.

I've put a few Esperanto terms through that might work, I dunno yet though. I happen to like Esperanto as it's a Universal language that belongs to no specific country.

Anyway.

-www.amikoj.org (pronounced Ah-Mee-KOY, it's Esperanto for "friend")
-www.liberado.mo (Liber-AH-Doh-Moh, literally means "Free House")

Those are a few ideas, but I'd like to hear other ideas before I go ahead and do anything.

.Maleficus.
March 30th, 2009, 11:28 PM
space.xun.il

Hehe, it spells "space" in the subdomain and "linux" if you read the domain and extension backwards :D.

Also, please don't take that seriously. I do think that using a nonconventional extension would be cool, like last.fm or drop.io.

pastalavista
March 30th, 2009, 11:31 PM
open.sorcery.com

earthpigg
March 30th, 2009, 11:33 PM
-www.liberado.mo (Liber-AH-Doh-Moh, literally means "Free House")

i love it.

why the .mo, though?

DeadSuperHero
March 30th, 2009, 11:35 PM
why the .mo, though?

I dunno, it just seems to make it stick out more. As far as I can tell, the .org, .com, and .net domains are still available. I just think it nicely fits the phonetics in without having to use an extension.

EDIT: Darn, looks like I'd have to live in China to buy the .mo domain from the company that claimed it.

earthpigg
March 30th, 2009, 11:36 PM
I dunno, it just seems to make it stick out more. As far as I can tell, the .org, .com, and .net domains are still available. I just think it nicely fits the phonetics in without having to use an extension.

how about just:

http://liberadomo/

DeadSuperHero
March 30th, 2009, 11:42 PM
how about just:

I don't think that works, most sites need a .something on the end.

gletob
March 30th, 2009, 11:54 PM
how about just:

That just takes me to a sucky google infused Verizon search with fifty adds at the top and no results.

The only question I have now is: Why didn't the sucky opendns search come up?

On topic openfriends.org sounds good to me

vegetarianshrimp
March 30th, 2009, 11:55 PM
That just takes me to a sucky google infused Verizon search with fifty adds at the top and no results.

The only question I have now is: Why didn't the sucky opendns search come up?

On topic openfriends.org sounds good to me
At least Verizon gives you Google. Charter gives me yahoo. I HATE yahoo search (their other stuff is fine though)

damis648
March 31st, 2009, 12:00 AM
At least Verizon gives you Google. Charter gives me yahoo. I HATE yahoo search (their other stuff is fine though)

Just switch your DNS. :popcorn:

And .Maleficus., why is using a non-conventional extension 'un-cool'?

Excedio
March 31st, 2009, 12:00 AM
How `bout gestuno.org

Like the language that you brought up before, this is a universal language.

Only difference, not a verbal language...it's a signed language.

arunkamal.chowdhary
March 31st, 2009, 12:31 AM
gnukut.org

tuxpace.org

eve.org [Evrything for Evryone]

conhucom.org [Connectivity for humans community..]

Will come back if get more ideas..

Ms_Angel_D
March 31st, 2009, 01:01 AM
I just checked and myfossweb.com is available as well as the .net, .me, .info, and .org versions

DeadSuperHero
March 31st, 2009, 03:35 AM
I just checked and myfossweb.com is available as well as the .net, .me, .info, and .org versions

Hmm. Well, it's definitely a thought, and it's nice to see something available.

It seems a bit plain to me, though. Doesn't exactly roll of the tongue.

For the record, I think it's best to go with a .org extension.

entr3p
March 31st, 2009, 04:03 AM
probli.com

MaxIBoy
March 31st, 2009, 05:52 AM
How about something of the form *forge? SelfForge, FossForge, OpenForge, FreeForge, OurForge, MyForge, HumanForge, you get the idea.

In fact, "SoulForge" would be a pretty neat name. I'd go with that. EDIT: soulforge.com is taken, but you could still do a .net instead and hyphenate it.

DeadSuperHero
April 12th, 2009, 05:40 PM
Just thought I'd bump this up as the thread has stagnated a bit.

Does anyone else have an recommendations for a name?

DeadSuperHero
April 25th, 2009, 05:02 PM
Bumpity bump.

Currently, I'm still going with Liberadomo until someone thinks of a better name.

dragos240
April 25th, 2009, 05:03 PM
webnet? I don't know.

ssam
April 25th, 2009, 05:20 PM
mugshot

oh wait, thy did it already. but it seems to have shut down. It used to be an opensource social network run by redhat.

DeadSuperHero
May 1st, 2009, 06:11 AM
mugshot

oh wait, thy did it already. but it seems to have shut down. It used to be an opensource social network run by redhat.

Mugshot is no longer operational anymore.

I hate digging up my old threads, but I'm still in search of a good name! I may have found a good hosting solution, but it all is really still sitting on an epic, thematic name.

What defines community?

Moreover, what defines the experiences of BEING in a community? What about sharing, and providing for one another, much like the FOSS/Creative Commons communities?

I'd love to have a name that represented that, but I still can't think of anything.

danni-la
May 5th, 2009, 03:44 AM
how about fossalliance the .com, .org and .net are all available...

foss + alliance (To connect by alliance; to ally, also a thesaurus entry for community) in my mind explains what it would stand for...

I also like Liberadomo it has a nice sound to it

:D

Mateo
May 5th, 2009, 03:52 AM
Why emphasize the fact that it's based on free software? Why not just make it a really good website, with superior features to the aforementioned products? People aren't going to waste their time if it feels like charity to use it.... unless they are just really hardcore linux users.

ubuntu-freak
May 9th, 2009, 12:59 AM
I think blah-blah-blah.org would be cool.

sfantus1
October 6th, 2009, 10:25 PM
How do you Like Hora.* Hora is a Romanian dace that makes a circle (kinda like ubuntu :) ) and in the past this was one of the best social networks :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIWhOjtypvU&feature=related here is a video

Starlight
October 6th, 2009, 11:10 PM
Maybe allpeople.org? It seems that no one's using it (at least when I open it in my browser then it says that the address doesn't exist) and I think it nicely expresses community and openness. :)

earthpigg
October 7th, 2009, 12:05 AM
www.skynet.gpl

sudoer541
October 7th, 2009, 01:59 AM
fossbook ?

That was the first name that came in mind.

dragos240
October 7th, 2009, 02:00 AM
www.skynet.gpl (http://www.skynet.gpl)

Can you get a .GPL?

sudoer541
October 7th, 2009, 02:35 AM
how about these names:

OPENbook

open-convo

GNUbook

UFN- unversal friends network

OPENpal

FREEpal

The BUDDY Network -TBN

BUDY List

BUDY talk

HEY! Mate!

PLAY mate

Mate TALK

Mate List

Open Mate Network- OMM

Open Letter

Free-friend- FF

LOUD friend

TALK mate!

Wooohooo! (similar to Yahoo!)

Talky talky Friends

chit-Chat

Soul mate

OPEN Speech Network- OSN

OPEN Group

HEY! BuddY!

GNU Network

GENERAL Network

GNU TALK

GNU Speech

Speech MATE <------ my favourite and sounds professional

Monologue

Gossip!

Chatter CHATTER

Mouth 2 Ear - M2E

OPEN Dialogue

FREE Dialogue

Pal Meeting

SPEAK!

Speech group

Speech List

Dialogue Catalog

Expression

Buddy Expression

OPEN Expression

OPEN voice

Free Voice

YAK!!!

TELL

Contacts List - CL

Keep in touch - My second favourite

CLOUD mate- Good for cloud computing

CLOUD pal

CLOUD talk

CLOUDbook

CLOUD Speech

CLOUD Buddy

thats what comes in mind at the moment, good luck!

Mr. Picklesworth
October 7th, 2009, 02:36 AM
As the title suggests, I'm thinking of constructing a Free Software/Free Culture social network specifically for everyone: Ubuntu users, Debian developers, BSD advocates, etc. I'm willing to pay for a server, set up the CMS (currently, Elgg looks really sharp), and basically provide a Free alternative to Myspace and Facebook, with free web APIs for developers to code web applications, as well as desktop tools to manage their profiles if they wanted to.

Edit: Eh, never mind. I realized you were looking to make a free free software community, which I am not actually sure Linux.com (http://www.linux.com/) is. (It may be. I just can't find the magic button). Still, worth taking a look :)

keiichidono
October 7th, 2009, 07:39 AM
Not only is this topic old, but it's already been done. It's called Identica guys, quite it with the necrophilia.

DeadSuperHero
November 29th, 2009, 06:36 AM
Although necrophilia in topics is usually discouraged here, I would like to bring this old thread up for air once more due to the fact that I am saving up money for a domain and hosting. Unfortunately, I still have yet to find a good name for the site, but I would love to see some more suggestions from any members that may have missed this thread before.

The main goal of this network is to center around two things: a network built WITH FOSS tools, and a social network catering to FOSS enthusiasts and developers. It would be a FOSS-community alternative to Facebook and Myspace and cater more towards geeks than average joes, but would maintain a different sort of functionality than identi.ca. (This hypothetical site is to Facebook as identi.ca is to Twitter, so to speak)

I'm also happy to report that the site will most likely be based on Elgg and will likely undergo a usability-testing alpha in about four months or so if everything moves along according to plan.

I am still greatly in need of a network name, but a rough skeleton of the site is being built on one of my private servers at home to test. It's actually going somewhere.

Sin@Sin-Sacrifice
November 29th, 2009, 10:25 AM
freethepeople??