PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing MonoDevelop 2.0

GenuineXP
March 30th, 2009, 10:07 PM
Has anyone had any luck installing MonoDevelop 2.0 (not the beta, btw) on Interpid? I've tried compiling from source, but ran into trouble compiling GTK-Sharp 2.8.5. I'm also weary about compiling Mono components alongside my existing Mono installation.

Does anyone know if any packages are planned?

Thanks! I'd really, really like to give the new MonoDevelop a spin. :) I've been anticipating it for awhile now.

directhex
March 30th, 2009, 11:01 PM
Use Jaunty.

GenuineXP
March 30th, 2009, 11:09 PM
Judging from your reply, can I assume that Jaunty will have MonoDevelop 2.0 packages in the official repos?

Also... I'd love to use Jaunty, but I'd prefer not to blast a stable Intrepid installation for an alpha release. Is that the only way I'll get to test drive MonoDevelop 2.0?

Thanks for the help.

directhex
March 31st, 2009, 12:12 AM
Judging from your reply, can I assume that Jaunty will have MonoDevelop 2.0 packages in the official repos?

Also... I'd love to use Jaunty, but I'd prefer not to blast a stable Intrepid installation for an alpha release. Is that the only way I'll get to test drive MonoDevelop 2.0?

Thanks for the help.

It's the only way you'll get support from the people responsible for the official packages

GenuineXP
March 31st, 2009, 12:44 AM
It's the only way you'll get support from the people responsible for the official packages

Good point. :)

Looks like I'll be waiting a bit longer.

bart.nicolotti@libero.it
March 31st, 2009, 09:42 AM
Good point. :)

Looks like I'll be waiting a bit longer.

You can use VMWARE or another virtualizer to have a Jakalope inside your ubuntu version, you can back up what you've done with a snapshot or a copy and paste of the VM folder, 1 minute. I've 5 different windows VM to test things on windows and when I've to test a new tool I do a copy of a stable vm and test the new tool on the copy, so that if something goes wrong I don't have problems, erase the copied VM and restart from clean point...

Bye

directhex
March 31st, 2009, 12:03 PM
If you have a supported CPU, KVM is nice & lightweight (use the virt-manager GUI to make it easy and clicky)

Kinetic_lord
August 27th, 2009, 10:56 AM
i could just use visual studio if i want a virtual machine, not mono develop. And i would rather stick to a stable non-buggy release that to upgrade to jaunty, even if it has monodevelop 2.0

directhex
August 27th, 2009, 11:56 AM
i could just use visual studio if i want a virtual machine, not mono develop. And i would rather stick to a stable non-buggy release that to upgrade to jaunty, even if it has monodevelop 2.0

Jaunty *is* a stable release. Buggy? That's more "eye of the beholder" stuff - I'd certainly say its Mono stack is in better shape than Hardy