PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installation Not Starting!

dmaxel
March 30th, 2009, 09:22 PM
Hi there everyone!

My family recently got a Linux wave going through and are trying to include Ubuntu on a number of our systems. So far all of them have been installed inside Windows. However, I am trying to install Ubuntu on a system of my dad's, and am having some problems there.

We used Partition Commander to rid the two hard drives of any partitions that may be on them. Next I burned another CD and popped it in. I set my language, choose Install Ubuntu, and it starts loading. After almost 3-5 minutes, it goes from the bar that bounces back and forth to an actual progress bar, taking another 1-2 minutes. However, as soon as it seems to finish loading, it doesn't go to the Graphical Install, just to something similar as Terminal if Ubuntu were installed (which it is not).

So, any help on installing? In case this helps anyone, the CD Drive reading the install CD is pretty old (maybe approx. 7+ years old), and the CD has no errors when I checked it with "Check CD for Defects".

Thanks for your help!

Therion
March 30th, 2009, 09:28 PM
Do you know any of the hardware specs for the PC you're trying to install on? What processor is installed, the amount of RAM it has... Anything like that?

infoseeker
March 30th, 2009, 09:32 PM
Do you know any of the hardware specs for the PC you're trying to install on? What processor is installed, the amount of RAM it has... Anything like that?

And the graphics card/chipset.

dmaxel
March 30th, 2009, 09:35 PM
If I remember right....

It has an Intel Celeron..
1GB RAM
Graphics Chipset is built into the motherboard...

All I know is that it happened to be good enough for Windows XP when it ran that...as well as Windows Home Server, even though it was kinda laggy.

If that info's not good enough I'll try to find out.

dmaxel
March 31st, 2009, 01:34 AM
OK, it seems to have been the graphics. We tried starting the Live CD first before trying to install, and almost the same thing happened, but miraculously it continued and went into the Live session, notifying us about Low Graphics mode. Right now it is installing. :D