PDA

View Full Version : I'm returning to Vista.

suitedaces
March 30th, 2009, 08:17 PM
Yip, just realised I need to log on to Vista to export my firefox bookmarks. Back in 15 minutes folks!

Firestem4
March 30th, 2009, 08:21 PM
Yip, just realised I need to log on to Vista to export my firefox bookmarks. Back in 15 minutes folks!

problem solved http://www.xmarks.com/ =) (Xmarks is taking over FoxMarks)

SunnyRabbiera
March 30th, 2009, 08:26 PM

Or 30, depending on how much junk Vista wants to load.

CraigPaleo
March 30th, 2009, 08:27 PM

15 minutes? How many bookmarks do you have?

By the way, :lolflag:

Mehall
March 30th, 2009, 08:32 PM
15 minutes? How many bookmarks do you have?

By the way, :lolflag:

Read what the guy above you said.

You need to let Vista boot ;)

suitedaces
March 30th, 2009, 08:34 PM
Didja miss me?

Sealbhach
March 30th, 2009, 08:34 PM
Or 30, depending on how much junk Vista wants to load.

LOL, yeah, Vista drove me crazy with unbelievably slow startups and shtudowns.

CraigPaleo
March 30th, 2009, 08:47 PM
Read what the guy above you said.

You need to let Vista boot ;)

Yeah. We posted at the same time so I didn't see it. It makes sense!

Vince4Amy
March 30th, 2009, 08:50 PM
You must have real slow computers if you think that Vista takes that long to boot. Just as I thought the Windows bashing stopped!

Sealbhach
March 30th, 2009, 08:52 PM
You must have real slow computers if you think that Vista takes that long to boot:roll:. Just as I thought the Windows bashing stopped!

In my case, just relating my experience.

tsali
March 30th, 2009, 09:05 PM
Why export them in Windows?

Just mount the Vista drive and import/copy them directly.

dasunst3r
March 30th, 2009, 09:12 PM
I would've mounted the Vista partition, hunted down its Firefox profile, and imported the bookmarks.html from there.

Mr. Picklesworth
March 30th, 2009, 09:14 PM
I would have booted Windows from VirtualBox and worked from there. I'm just weird and don't want to lose my uptime, though ;)

speedwell68
March 30th, 2009, 09:19 PM
You must have real slow computers if you think that Vista takes that long to boot. Just as I thought the Windows bashing stopped!

I've not yet found an installation of Vista that isn't slow to boot. I had the pleasure of blowing another copy away yesterday. I basically has a broken Vista installation and I lent the guy my laptop to use while I sorted his. 24hrs later I get a call asking if I have to put Vista back, can he have what is on my PC instead. Well yeah I said, but you must understand that not all your hardware might be supported, yes it is he said it all works like a charm. He did admit it took him an hour or two to work it all out. So 8.10 he now has, another Vista bites the dust.:D

SunnyRabbiera
March 30th, 2009, 09:20 PM
In my case, just relating my experience.

same here

Vince4Amy
March 30th, 2009, 09:24 PM
I've not yet found an installation of Vista that isn't slow to boot.

24 Seconds here from LILO to Desktop.

suitedaces
March 30th, 2009, 09:25 PM
I would've mounted the Vista partition, hunted down its Firefox profile, and imported the bookmarks.html from there.

From what I understand, firefox 3 doesn't automatically provide a bookmarks file. I did exactly as you recommend, but I had to go on to vista to create the .html file first.

suitedaces
March 30th, 2009, 09:26 PM
I would have booted Windows from VirtualBox and worked from there. I'm just weird and don't want to lose my uptime, though ;)

Is this possible from an OEM partition? (don't worry, not going to ask for a walkthrough!)

Mr. Picklesworth
March 30th, 2009, 09:53 PM
Is this possible from an OEM partition? (don't worry, not going to ask for a walkthrough!)

Yes, it is!
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=769883

I don't recommend doing it much; I've had a few instances where Windows decides it isn't genuine for a while. That, and it doesn't exactly feel safe to virtualize your own machine. Particularly spooky when GRUB appears and I almost boot Ubuntu inside of itself (spared the horror by the fact that 64-bit Ubuntu won't run in the 32-bit VM).

Excedio
March 30th, 2009, 10:30 PM

My HP laptop that originally came with Vista Home Basic took...no joke...a full 10 minutes to boot up. I timed it.

Most of the reason was the fact that the laptop only has only 512mb ram.

When I switched it over to Ubuntu, it was booting in less than one minute.

Why would they even sell a Vista machine that has less than 1gb or ram? Money I guess...

swoll1980
March 30th, 2009, 10:54 PM

No one that's ever used Vista will ever believe this. You say we must have slow computers :roll: Here's some "constructive criticism" for you. Vista is the worst OS I've ever used. It's slow at everything it does. It's half asked implementation of sudo is the stupidest thing I've ever seen. The OS it's self uses more resources than any other program you run on it.

Before Vista I hadn't seen a blue screen in 10 years, now I see them every week. There's no way to customize it, yay I get to pick from different colors of the same ugly glass(play on words :P ) theme.

Half my programs won't work on it, one of the only reasons I still use Windows is because of it's compatibility, and Vista doesn't even get that right. It takes forever to install, and uninstall programs. Oh did I mention that it takes forever to boot too.

suitedaces
March 30th, 2009, 10:56 PM
people people, this thread was just a lame joke, let's not turn into a bashing fest!

swoll1980
March 30th, 2009, 11:01 PM
people people, this thread was just a lame joke, let's not turn into a bashing fest!

Not bashing. Bashing is "Windows Sucks!" I provided a detailed list of all that is wrong with.

dragos240
March 30th, 2009, 11:12 PM
XD I thought another person of our forum was actually leaving us for M$. Nice one :D

Vince4Amy
March 30th, 2009, 11:26 PM
No one that's ever used Vista will ever believe this. You say we must have slow computers :roll: Here's some "constructive criticism" for you. Vista is the worst OS I've ever used. It's slow at everything it does. It's half asked implementation of sudo is the stupidest thing I've ever seen. The OS it's self uses more resources than any other program you run on it.

Before Vista I hadn't seen a blue screen in 10 years, now I see them every week. There's no way to customize it, yay I get to pick from different colors of the same ugly glass(play on words :P ) theme.

Half my programs won't work on it, one of the only reasons I still use Windows is because of it's compatibility, and Vista doesn't even get that right. It takes forever to install, and uninstall programs. Oh did I mention that it takes forever to boot too.

Well that's your problem for not using the correct drivers. Same happened to me when XP Came out.

swoll1980
March 30th, 2009, 11:30 PM
Well that's your problem for not using the correct drivers. Same happened to me when XP Came out.

Oh really what drivers would those be?

lisati
March 30th, 2009, 11:31 PM

I use the foxmarks add-on which works with FF shiped with Ubuntu and also the 32-bit version that works with Vista. Assuming that you've got your OS and browser loaded, and you have a reasonable connection, it should take somewhat less than 15 minutes.

You might want to look at tweaking Vista to make it boot up quicker.

tsali
March 31st, 2009, 10:04 AM
Not bashing. Bashing is "Windows Sucks!" I provided a detailed list of all that is wrong with.

You provided a detailed list of problems YOU were having with it.

I'm experiencing none of the issues you are.

Vorian Grey
March 31st, 2009, 03:27 PM
Vista is bloated and somewhat slow at some tasks but overall it runs well and I don't have any problems with it. I just like Linux better. jaunty is fast and I don't have to worry about security.

ELD
March 31st, 2009, 03:49 PM
problem solved http://www.xmarks.com/ =) (Xmarks is taking over FoxMarks)

Agreed, i use it so i can access my bookmarks on any os firefox works on :D

Also guys this was a joke thread, stop arguing, bashing or whatever, contain yourselves seriously lol.

[h2o]
March 31st, 2009, 05:00 PM

Hmm, on my machine Vista feels to actually boot a little bit <b>faster</b> than Intrepid. And my boot times from grub is probably somewhere between 15-25 seconds to login screen, for both OS. I haven't bothered to time it since I deem it fast enough.
Apart from my sucky wireless drivers that sometime freeze the computer I am quite happy with Vista. It's a great step forward from XP.

Tom Mann
March 31st, 2009, 07:55 PM
OP Made me laugh :D

tdrusk
March 31st, 2009, 09:18 PM
;6988471']Hmm, on my machine Vista feels to actually boot a little bit <b>faster</b> than Intrepid. And my boot times from grub is probably somewhere between 15-25 seconds to login screen, for both OS. I haven't bothered to time it since I deem it fast enough.
Apart from my sucky wireless drivers that sometime freeze the computer I am quite happy with Vista. It's a great step forward from XP.
Vista is definiitely hardware dependent. If you have an average computer from 3 years ago (512 RAM, Pentium M processor) it is slowwwwwwww.

oasmar1
March 31st, 2009, 09:48 PM

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo mine took 26 seconds! But now I have Windows 7 which boots in 36 seconds but also runs Photoshop, Dreamweaver and Xampp on start up.

Anybody who HAS used vista will not believe you.

bgerlich
March 31st, 2009, 10:00 PM
Boot with Photoshop in 26 seconds?! You have to have one of them SSD RAID arrays ...

oasmar1
March 31st, 2009, 10:10 PM
Ooops, takes 36 seconds, Typo there. Still, I think thats is pretty fast especially since 5 seconds is taken up by photoshop (CS4) alone. Dreamweaver loads pretty quick (CS2) and so does Xampp. I dont have a RAID but I do have this SSD: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/152602. Cheap and gives good performance.

swoll1980
March 31st, 2009, 10:14 PM
You provided a detailed list of problems YOU were having with it.

I'm experiencing none of the issues you are.

Me, and everyone else I know. This isn't an isolated incident by any stretch of the imagination.

swoll1980
March 31st, 2009, 10:16 PM
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo mine took 26 seconds! But now I have Windows 7 which boots in 36 seconds but also runs Photoshop, Dreamweaver and Xampp on start up.

Anybody who HAS used vista will not believe you.

Te-he not even worth my time.

phaed
March 31st, 2009, 11:30 PM
Firefox doesn't automatically make a bookmarks.html file, but the bookmarks are stored as a .json file somewhere in your Firefox directory. For me it's in:

~/.mozilla/firefox/63313tmq.default/bookmarkbackups

The only thing that would differ for everyone else on Linux is the "*.default" directory which I think is given a randomized name during every installation. I don't know about the directory structure on Windows, but I assume it's similar, and I guarantee those files exist. So all you had to do was mount your Vista partition and grab the latest .json file, then import it.

There are actually several .json files from each of the last few days. If you go to "Organize bookmarks" and click "Import and Backup" there's an option to back up your bookmarks from snapshots of each of the last few days, and that's what those .json files are.

Also, for all you Foxmarks lovers, wait until Weave comes out of development.

Edit: Actually I just thought of something. Those files may not exist if you have "Always clear my private data when I close Firefox" checked off.

FuturePilot
March 31st, 2009, 11:39 PM
Firefox doesn't automatically make a bookmarks.html file,

firefox/enu2hwps.default]$ ls | grep html
bookmarks.html

;)