View Full Version : [ubuntu] Evolution and Exchange 2003

March 30th, 2009, 07:24 PM
I've been using Ubuntu (from 7.04, now on 8.10 at home, 8.04 at work) as my primary desktop for a while now, and find I can do most everything I need to except access our Exchange 2003 server here at work. I actually can get the email using Mulberry (an open source IMAP client), but I really need a fully functional Exchange client that will give me email, calendar, contacts, and todos. I'm actually also doing a sort of proof-of-concept here that it's possible to use Linux as my only desktop and Open Source as much as possible.

I've tried Evolution several times, always with the version that comes with Ubuntu, and have found it to be painfully slow to the point of unusable. It can take as long as 2-3 minutes to display a message, and syncing my inbox can take hours. I normally give up and go back to Mulberry so I can actually get something done. Even the calendar can take ages to view. And the Exchange connector will crash fairly regularly, leaving the front end hanging there waiting.

Admittedly my inbox has, at the moment, over 11,000 emails in it (yeah, I'm weeks behind and get a ton of automated status and log messages from servers), but even when I had that down in the 300 range it still took this long and crashed this often.

I think I've seen posts, blogs, and whatnot from people who do use Evolution as their primary client, with Exchange servers, and it works well, is fast, responsive, etc. I've also heard from others that I've asked that it is just as slow and crashes just as often for them. I have googled all over looking for tips, tricks, clues, etc. to try to figure out why it is so very bad for me, and can't find anything significant.

Do any of you have this working? Did any of you have problems like what I'm seeing? If so, how did you fix them? Any advice on how to make this work would be great. I have a presentation in a couple months for our state college system (I work for the community college which is part of that) to demo using an Ubuntu desktop and would love to be able to show how I access our email system with open source tools.

March 30th, 2009, 07:36 PM
unfortunately when someone does a cross platform this sometimes comes up Exchange connector is like a translator so when one says something in a different language they put it in yours then tell you.This will be a
bit slower but it still shouldn't be as slow as your saying.I would try
installing the latest evolution and the latest office connector plug in
and see if that helps.