PDA

View Full Version : Tom Tom Settle

Mehall
March 30th, 2009, 07:23 PM
In a move worse that's still better than what Novell did, Tom Tom have settled both suits against MS.

Tom Tom will pay MS for the use of their patents, and MS get access to Tom Tom patents, without MS paying Tom Tom for it.

http://www.computerworlduk.com/toolbox/open-source/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=2044&blogid=14

loell
March 30th, 2009, 07:43 PM
oh.. :( .. why do they even bothered joining OIN if they'll just gonna settle. i guess the lesser the liability the better for them.

smartboyathome
March 30th, 2009, 07:44 PM
Wow, that is basically like saying "Hey, Microsoft, if we pay you, would you mind getting free access to our patents?" I don't even get the business aspect of that move. http://forums.beyondunreal.com/images/smilies/shakehead.gif

LowSky
March 30th, 2009, 07:54 PM
This is why patent law is so out-dated. This is why the move to opensource is so important. so small companies don't get sued by larger companies who steal technology.

Sealbhach
March 30th, 2009, 07:58 PM
Bad news. Time to stop using FAT.

Mehall
March 30th, 2009, 08:03 PM

They can't really argue that one though. If it ended up in court, they don't have a leg to stand on, because every flash drive uses FAT32 because MS made it open standard.

Tom Tom only settled because they can't afford to go to court for the length of time it would require against MS.

Let's see MS sue Canonical about something.
"Shuttlesworth steps in. Shuttlesworth donates money and lawyers and money.

Shuttlesworth fixes Ubuntu Bug #1."

Mr. Picklesworth
March 30th, 2009, 08:25 PM
A standard, modern file format for removable storage WOULD be nice. FAT is really showing its age now, especially with the steady rise in single files bigger than it can handle.
It would be great to see an initiative behind something better.

bakedbeans4life
March 30th, 2009, 08:27 PM
I used to say that I disliked Microsoft, now I hate them and all that they stand for. This is nothing more than legalized extortion.

Tom-Tom did themselves a disservice here, they should have stood their ground. Now this will become open-season on anybody that uses Open Source software.

And to those that say this was never about Linux, that is exactly what it was about. If Tom-Tom used Microsoft's platform then none of this would have happened.

This will be just the start. Where are the Microsoft apologists now to justify all of this? :x

LowSky
March 30th, 2009, 08:27 PM
Shuttleworth doenst have that much cash.
He spent a good portion of it on going to space....lol

But in seriousness Canonical v. Microsoft = Microsoft Win
Reason Microsoft/Novell deal gives Microsft too much info on the working of Linux, and because of Microsofts private corporate secret that is Windows code, Canonical has little to go against.

Mr. Picklesworth
March 30th, 2009, 08:32 PM
Although I don't think Microsoft would go at Canonical, Red Hat or any other widely loved Linux companies. The reaction from the community in those cases (since Canonical and Red Hat nourish awesome communities) may not bother their lawyers, but it would cripple their marketing.

Mehall
March 30th, 2009, 08:32 PM

Reason Microsoft/Novell deal gives Microsft too much info on the working of Linux, and because of Microsofts private corporate secret that is Windows code, Canonical has little to go against.

No, I seriously mean that all you need to be able to do is withstand the length of a trial, and give decent evidence.

Shuttlesworth could still help Canonical defend against MS, that's why MS hasn't sued Canonical. (Or Red Hat, etc, etc. Novell made a deal, hoping they'd end up better off. Looking at their sales vs. Red Hat's, they haven't)

LowSky
March 30th, 2009, 08:33 PM
A standard, modern file format for removable storage WOULD be nice. FAT is really showing its age now, especially with the steady rise in single files bigger than it can handle.
It would be great to see an initiative behind something better.

So what we need is a file system that can handle over 4GB file sizes and not require a journaling file system

hmmmm

EXT2?

Mr. Picklesworth
March 30th, 2009, 08:38 PM
So what we need is a file system that can handle over 4GB file sizes and not require a journaling file system

hmmmm

EXT2?

Personally, I think file ownership stuff is a bad idea for removable devices, too, and should be killed at the file system level. When the meaning of uid 1005 changes based on which computer you mount the device on, it just causes headaches :/

Sealbhach
March 30th, 2009, 08:45 PM
They all keep falling at the feet of Microsoft, it's sickening.

zekopeko
March 30th, 2009, 09:49 PM

Mark has around 1 billion dollars. He's actually made money since he sold his company in 1999/2000. And that's while spending 30 million/year on Canonical.

perce
March 30th, 2009, 09:58 PM

It was time a long time ago, and for many reasons

LowSky
March 30th, 2009, 10:00 PM
They all keep falling at the feet of Microsoft, it's sickening.

Don't blam Mircosoft for defending themselves. Blame the US and EU for allowing them to make accusations against other companies based on opensource code. Microsoft never shows their evidence, or how the patent the defendant is illeagally using for profit. Because of how the law works. In many places just accusing someone is enough to make them guilty. Sure the US has the "Innocent until prove guilty" So it becomes Microsoft job to prove how similar the codes are. While Tom Tom is left defending itself how its just a matter of simple code that looks so much the same.

these cases are horibble because sometime it comes don to who wrote a sentance first,

So if I sad the dog is blue and copywrote it a day before you said the same thing, I would win, even though there is no evidence to prove that I really created something unique

I blame the way the court systems are based, and how easy it is for a company to patent an idea (which was supposed to be illegal) Software should only be copywritten, and be taken as a whole, just like literary works. Too often the simpleness of a piece of code is undertaken to be a copywritten technology when infact it is just as signifigant as using words in a sentance. So they shouldnt sue over copyrights and patents but plagiarism.

Dont believe me that the the Patent system is messed up look at this
http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9595_22-218626.html

bakedbeans4life
March 30th, 2009, 10:15 PM
Don't blam Mircosoft for defending themselves. Blame the US and EU for allowing them to make accusations against other companies based on opensource code. Microsoft never shows their evidence, or how the patent the defendant is illeagally using for profit. Because of how the law works. In many places just accusing someone is enough to make them guilty. Sure the US has the "Innocent until prove guilty" So it becomes Microsoft job to prove how similar the codes are. While Tom Tom is left defending itself how its just a matter of simple code that looks so much the same.

these cases are horibble because sometime it comes don to who wrote a sentance first,

So if I sad the dog is blue and copywrote it a day before you said the same thing, I would win, even though there is no evidence to prove that I really created something unique

I blame the way the court systems are based, and how easy it is for a company to patent an idea (which was supposed to be illegal) Software should only be copywritten, and be taken as a whole, just like literary works. Too often the simpleness of a piece of code is undertaken to be a copywritten technology when infact it is just as signifigant as using words in a sentance. So they shouldnt sue over copyrights and patents but plagiarism.

Dont believe me that the the Patent system is messed up look at this
http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9595_22-218626.html

No matter how bad the patent system is, and it is bad, Microsoft sued Tom-Tom because they use Open Source software. It is as simple as that.

Microsoft sued, they didn't have to. This will now be used as a hammer to threaten other companies that use or a thinking about using Open Source, mark my words. That is what Microsoft wanted, to set a precedent.

Would everybody be so apathetic if they started suing Linus and other kernel contributers? Would that get a consensus from everyone?

Skripka
March 30th, 2009, 10:24 PM
No matter how bad the patent system is, and it is bad, Microsoft sued Tom-Tom because they use Open Source software. It is as simple as that.

No it is not.

bakedbeans4life
March 30th, 2009, 10:33 PM
No it is not.

Whatever Skripka, whatever. :wink:

Sealbhach
March 30th, 2009, 10:34 PM
Whatever Skripka, whatever. :wink:

I would think along your lines bb4l but it's impossible to argue. The reason being MS is so sore at having to give away XP on netbooks - all because of Linux.

LowSky
March 30th, 2009, 10:38 PM

No Microsoft sued TomTom because of the use of FAT, and profiting from it, that really why they sued to make money off their design, their horrible design. All this means is Microsoft can now sue other flash vendors or other Manufacturers for using FAT on their drives without MS approval, like camera and MP3 players, and hope they settled like TomTom

wsonar
March 30th, 2009, 10:41 PM
Disappointing to hear

It's funny I watched pirates of Silicon valley recently it's a funny movie

I worked for MS once they had a free drink program and an Xbox room for break time thats how they lure people in

blastus
March 31st, 2009, 12:42 AM
What I don't get is why device manufacturers use FAT. TomTom is running Linux so why don't they just use a native file system like ext2 or ext3?

Mr. Picklesworth
March 31st, 2009, 12:58 AM
What I don't get is why device manufacturers use FAT. TomTom is running Linux so why don't they just use a native file system like ext2 or ext3?

Quite simple: Because Windows (which they have to support) is too useless an OS to support file systems which have the necessary specs right out in the open even when it would help the cause for server adoption.

Meanwhile MacOS still lacks NTFS write support while Linux soars ahead with the situation at the moment being that users neither know nor care whether they are writing to NTFS or an SSH server on Mars... until some rogue process hogs so much IO bandwidth the system would be better off with a kernel panic.
There, I've bashed everyone. We can continue to get along happily :P

Mehall
March 31st, 2009, 01:02 AM
Quite simple: Because Windows (which they have to support) is too useless an OS to support file systems which have the necessary specs right out in the open even when it would help the cause for server adoption. Nobody knows why.

Meanwhile MacOS still lacks NTFS write support while Linux soars ahead with the situation at the moment being that users neither know nor care whether they are writing to NTFS or an SSH server on Mars... until some rogue process hogs so much IO bandwidth the system would be better off with a kernel panic. There, I've bashed everyone; we can continue to get along happily :P

Just read more about this.

Tom Tom are removing the patent "infringements" within the next 2 years.

Cue them telling everyone to get Ext2 IFS for Windows, so they don't lose support. : D

smartboyathome
March 31st, 2009, 01:11 AM
I worked for MS once they had a free drink program and an Xbox room for break time thats how they lure people in

Not as much of a point anymore, as Google has better stuff. :P

BuffaloX
March 31st, 2009, 03:17 AM
I bet MS offered some sort of deal, which is cheaper for TomTom than defending themselves in court.

I might be wrong, but it seemed TomTom were redying themselves for a strong defence.

Skripka
March 31st, 2009, 03:30 AM
Just read more about this.

Tom Tom are removing the patent "infringements" within the next 2 years.

Cue them telling everyone to get Ext2 IFS for Windows, so they don't lose support. : D

Unfortunately Mac has no support real for Ext file systems--even by 3rd party drivers.

cardinals_fan
March 31st, 2009, 04:04 AM
:lolflag:

How could a deal give Microsoft "too much info on the working of" an open source system?