PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing Ubuntu on Laptop with no working CD/DVD drive

blindape
March 30th, 2009, 07:13 PM
Hi,

I have an Acer Aspire 3000 laptop on which I want to Install Ubuntu, However I have a couple of problems:
1) the installed XP os can't boot due to a corrupt file
2) the CD/DVD drive no longer seems to work - it tries to wind up but always stops before reading the disk.
3) I can't boot from USB, the options on the boot menu are CD/DVD Drive, Floppy Devices (why this is included I have no Idea), Boot to LAN or +Hard Drive.
What I do have is another Laptop (Acer Aspire 3684) which has all systems and hardware working. It also contains a wubi Installation of Ubuntu. Before the boot file became corrupted the Aspire 3000 had a working ethernet card and I see not reason why it won't be working anymore.
With the above scenario can I get an installation of ubuntu onto the Acer Aspire 3000. I'm happy to get my hands dirty if required and see this a great learning oportunity if it can be done.

Regards,

John Curwood

amendt
March 30th, 2009, 07:15 PM
Does your BIOS alow for net boot?

blindape
March 30th, 2009, 08:05 PM
Yes it says it can boot to LAN.

Regards,

John Curwood

amendt
April 1st, 2009, 05:30 PM
Then your only option is to setup a server which allows your laptop to bootup via your ethernet card. Sorry, life is hard and then you die.