PDA

View Full Version : PC != Windows?

FraggedLocust
March 30th, 2009, 04:59 PM
It seems that somewhere along the lines the abbreviation of Personal Computer (PC) got branded to mean the computers that run Windows. Similarly, if you have an Apple computer, you're running some sort of Mac, but NOT a PC. So does this mean that you're not using a computer when you run Linux?

Maybe I'm missing some information, but this does seem how it works nowadays.

Brunellus
March 30th, 2009, 05:01 PM
It seems that somewhere along the lines the abbreviation of Personal Computer (PC) got branded to mean the computers that run Windows. Similarly, if you have an Apple computer, you're running some sort of Mac, but NOT a PC. So does this mean that you're not using a computer when you run Linux?

Maybe I'm missing some information, but this does seem how it works nowadays.
Reach back into the '80s. There were Apples, then there were Macintoshes, and in between there was the IBM Personal Computer. IBM's PCs ran MS-DOS, and were branded as PCs. Then their clones were called PC clones.

Eventually, everybody wanted to run "PC-compatible" software.

Then it's just PC for MS-DOS machines on Intel chips.

Simian Man
March 30th, 2009, 05:02 PM
Yeah it's retarded. Due to the lack of DRM, Linux is the only computer system I consider "personal".

artir
March 30th, 2009, 05:04 PM
Meh..
That's only part of the apple's campaign to make people thin they are buying something above a PC.
a Macintosh computer is Personal Computer(PC).

Mehall
March 30th, 2009, 05:19 PM
Agreed on all points, but w/e

Some people complain that "PC" shouldn't refer to windows since Linux runs on i386 style architecture, but nowadays so does Mac OS X, and Linux runs on all architectures, so I actually see the point in making a distinction between PC, which almost universally refers to Windows now, Mac, and Linux.

EDIT: if anyone actually gets the point I'm making, Kudos, because this was horridly written.

lykwydchykyn
March 30th, 2009, 05:24 PM
I think people should just say "Windows" when they mean Windows. I mean, when someone says "PC" in that sense, do they ever care about the underlying hardware achitecture? Even leaving Linux aside, "PC" can mean personal computer in the generic sense of "a computer for your personal use", so it's quite confusing to use it in reference to a platform.

s.fox
March 30th, 2009, 05:44 PM
I see your point. People think PC's imply Windows.

Maybe we should invent something for computers running any Linux distro. What does everybody think?

chucky chuckaluck
March 30th, 2009, 05:48 PM
i'd imagine in at least 90% of both cases, that's probably the right way to look at it.

Mehall
March 30th, 2009, 05:53 PM
I see your point. People think PC's imply Windows.

Maybe we should invent something for computers running any Linux distro. What does everybody think?

Linux runs on anythign though.

You can run Linux on DEC Alpha's for christ-sakes.

Alpha, AMD64, ARM, EABI ARM,HP PA-RISC, intel x86, IA-64, MIPS (big and little endian), PowerPC, IBM S/390 and SPARC.

That's just what Debian has been ported to!!

SunnyRabbiera
March 30th, 2009, 05:57 PM
Back in the day there was a strong difference between a Mac and a PC, much different hardware involved back then.
It stuck for the longest time, but now the differences are nil other then OS.

Marlonsm
March 30th, 2009, 05:57 PM
Some names just get their meaning changed during time.
PC --> Windows is one.
iPod --> MP3 players is other.

I even see people calling the whole computer "CPU" now. Or even people saying about their new TV with a liquid cristal LCD display.

Back to the topic, I do think an iMac, just like an Windows computer, is a kind of PC. They are both Personal Computers.

s.fox
March 30th, 2009, 06:07 PM
Linux runs on anythign though.

I know, its just something to consider. People think windows when you say PC. People think Apple when you say Mac.

I think we need something to make people think Linux.

Kevbert
March 30th, 2009, 06:15 PM
Why not refer to PCs that run Linux as Proper Linux PCs ? (does this then mean that anything not running Linux isn't a real PC ?)

mcduck
March 30th, 2009, 06:34 PM
bit of the same thing how IBM-compatible computers at some point became Intel-compatible computers.

Funny thing being that at some point Macs had a lot more IBM hardware than what the descendants of those "IBM-compatible" machines had...

(In my opinion, if it's built for personal use and it's not a serious workstation machine it's a PC. No matter if it runs on x86, x86-64, PowerPC or Alpha or something else. And the OS has nothing to do with this.)

LowSky
March 30th, 2009, 06:55 PM
Funny thing being that at some point Macs had a lot more IBM hardware than what the descendants of those "IBM-compatible" machines had...

Yeah IBM used to make Macs PowerPC processors, the ones used in Macs before Intel got into bed with Apple. So technically Macs were PC as IBM coined the phrase Personal Computer (PC). technically IBM could have ruined both Microsoft and Apple, by purchasing both companies before they were a real threat.

Now-a-days Sony's Playstation and Nintendo's Wii is more of a PC, since they use IBM's newest PPC chipsets.

mister_doctor
March 30th, 2009, 07:11 PM
I say let the sheeple call it what they like if it helps them differentiate between the two. For me, PC will mean any computer where I choose the OS, that isn't made by Apple.

I even see people calling the whole computer "CPU" now. Or even people saying about their new TV with a liquid cristal LCD display.

Another case of the average user failing to understand the technology behind that thing they just spent hundreds of dollars on. It's been like this for years, and its only going to get worse.

Marlonsm
March 30th, 2009, 07:53 PM
Another case of the average user failing to understand the technology behind that thing they just spent hundreds of dollars on. It's been like this for years, and its only going to get worse.

I don't think it's getting worse, what happens is that tech is getting more mainstream, so even people who know little about it can have it. I remember last time I was at a computer store, when I was asking about the timings in the RAM to chose which one I'd get, a person near me was asking the difference from a Celeron to a Pentium.

Brunellus
March 30th, 2009, 07:58 PM
hell, I don't know a damn thing about RAM timing. But then I don't overclock or do anything exotic.

LowSky
March 30th, 2009, 08:16 PM
I don't think it's getting worse, .

Its getting worse.

My coworker actually thought her computer could be used wirelessly because it had a wifi card. She actually thought she didn't need a wireless router connection. she thought it worked like a cell phone does without the costs.

My dad doesn't understand why we need to password protect our wifi network.

My sister called the monitor the computer, and the actual PC a box. No joke.

I have actually listened to my non-tecky friends talk about Win Vista, there argument for not switching was it looks too different.

Most people dont even mind DRM the ones who whine and complain are the minority. Why do you think EA and iTunes, and countless others get away with embedding DRM into the code. It doesn't even stop pirates, its spending money that halts none of the stealing.

Marlonsm
March 30th, 2009, 08:40 PM
hell, I don't know a damn thing about RAM timing. But then I don't overclock or do anything exotic.

I also don't overclock, I was just asking that to know which RAM was better, as they had 2 with the same price.

Its getting worse.

My coworker actually thought her computer could be used wirelessly because it had a wifi card. She actually thought she didn't need a wireless router connection. she thought it worked like a cell phone does without the costs.

My dad doesn't understand why we need to password protect our wifi network.

My sister called the monitor the computer, and the actual PC a box. No joke.

I have actually listened to my non-tecky friends talk about Win Vista, there argument for not switching was it looks too different.

Most people dont even mind DRM the ones who whine and complain are the minority. Why do you think EA and iTunes, and countless others get away with embedding DRM into the code. It doesn't even stop pirates, its spending money that halts none of the stealing.

It happens because too much new tech appeared in a short period of time. It takes time for the average Joe to catch up.

markp1989
March 30th, 2009, 08:43 PM
Some names just get their meaning changed during time.
PC --> Windows is one.
iPod --> MP3 players is other.

Back to the topic, I do think an iMac, just like an Windows computer, is a kind of PC. They are both Personal Computers.

that really anoys me when people call all mp3 players ipods, its the same as alot of people call all sat-navs "tom toms"
there are lots of things like that such as hover and vacuum.

/off topic

i agree with the op, and pc had started to be assiciated with a computer running windows, the main example of this is the PC vs MAC adverts, which is all rubbish, as the hardware is practacly the same now.

lykwydchykyn
March 30th, 2009, 08:44 PM
Slang is one thing; people using this terminology in a technical context is another. For example, system requirements for a piece of software.