PDA

View Full Version : [other] Export UI from Misc Linux Distro to Ubuntu

inadaze
March 30th, 2009, 03:32 PM
Hey all,
I know there is a way to send the display of a linux machine to another linux machine but for some reason everything I have tried does not work. At work, my PC is Ubuntu 8.10 and we build a product with a form of Linux on it. We have a way to export a NEW UI from the Linux machine to our PC but I want to export the ACTUAL UI of the machine. In other words, control what I see on the remote Linux machine instead of creating a new UI that just looks like what is on the remote machine.

In case I am not being clear, as an example, I know that you can do this in Windows (sigh, yes I said it...). There is a functionality that allows an admin to access remotely a Windows PC and you can actually see on the remote pc that the admin is moving your mouse etc... This is the type of thing I was looking for. There must be a way?

thanks
Jay

blackened
March 30th, 2009, 03:34 PM
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/VNC

inadaze
March 31st, 2009, 03:02 PM
I can't use VNC becuase I cannot install the server on the machine I want to connect to. the only way I see to do this is through SSH port-forwarding but I cannot figure it out. I tried running :

ssh -L 5900:localhost:5900 root@myPCipaddress

on the machine I want to connect to but all it does is connect via ssh to my pc. I feel like I am missing obvious steps that tutorials leave out because they assume that everyone knows how to do this, but I don't. Just a little confused.

j

inadaze
March 31st, 2009, 03:53 PM
Can I use Xephyr to connect from my PC to another computer? If so, has anyone had experience and could give me a hand?

J

inadaze
April 2nd, 2009, 01:42 PM
Anyone? Please....

I am sure that exporting X through ssh tunnel would work I just can't figure out how to use it. I get confused because different tutorials do it differently and change which computer to do it from. Anyone ever done this?

J