PDA

View Full Version : What is your "Ubuntu"?

Hetor
March 30th, 2009, 03:14 PM
I'm not sure if such a thread already exists, but anyways. What Ubuntu distro are you using? If you're using an unofficial distro, please specify which one. Also, it would be nice if you tell why do you prefer a certain distro.

For example: I'm using Xubuntu, because it works faster for me and I kinda like Xfce.

What about you?

PS: The forum list is very confusing, so I'm sorry if this thread is in a wrong section.

Mehall
March 30th, 2009, 03:16 PM
Crunchbang is what I use.

Faster than Xubuntu (by quite a margin, imo) and still a full distro.

And I think there's one of these in Recurring Discussions already, so prepare to be moved by a mod.

It's-Me
March 30th, 2009, 03:27 PM
I am new to linux and just installed Ubuntu 8.10 and yes i am facing some issues but they will be resolved sooner or later. Liked the whole ideology behind ubuntu and seriously giving it a go :).

@Mehall
I am not trying to pin point anything but you could have been a little nicer to Hetor. Let the Moderators do their job. They are better at it :).

Sealbhach
March 30th, 2009, 03:28 PM
Standard Gnomebuntu but I've also installed Openbox as a fallback window manager.

I switch to Openbox using Compiz Fusion icon if I want to start up a game or Google earth.

swoll1980
March 30th, 2009, 03:32 PM
@Mehall
you could have been a little nicer to Hetor. Let the Moderators do their job. They are better at it :).

Some people have feelings of inadequacy in their lives. Some people try to fill this void in their lives by trying to moderate computer support forums, even though it's not their responsibility.

aeiah
March 30th, 2009, 03:41 PM
im running ubuntu 7.10 on my main pc. i had a nightmare getting my nvidia card to work with my HDTV properly back in 2007 and once i heard about 8.04 and its weird xorg.conf and all the pulseaudio troubles i decided to just stick with 7.10 for a while. i think its time to get 9.04 next month though.

i run crunchbang lite 8.10 on my acer aspire one. its fantastically quick.

It's-Me
March 30th, 2009, 03:44 PM
Some people have feelings of inadequacy in their lives. Some people try to fill this void in their lives by trying to moderate computer support forums, even though it's not their responsibility.

Where did you get this perception from :p. I know that it's not my responsibility neither am i trying to do it. Just translated my thoughts into words.

Better to remain silent now, i am getting so off-topic :-$.

Paul41
March 30th, 2009, 03:46 PM
I use both the standard Ubuntu and Ubuntu server edition. It wasn't a option to choose both so I just picked standard.

Mehall
March 30th, 2009, 03:54 PM
@Everyone:

Sorry if I came across as rash or mean or anything, I was just doing a quick reply, and didn't read over what I said first.

I was merely stating what I thought might happen, sorry if it was over-eager or anything.

CP1256
March 30th, 2009, 04:35 PM
I use the standard Ubuntu for my desktops and installed Ubuntu 8.04 on all the desktops in my home, except mine which runs 8.10. I've used Ubuntu Server for my server until the hard drive died, and replaced it with Debian Lenny when I got the new hdd.

Skripka
March 30th, 2009, 04:36 PM
My Ubuntu is a rolling release system with pacman, only optimized for i686 and x86-64.

Sealbhach
March 30th, 2009, 04:44 PM
My Ubuntu is a rolling release system with pacman, only optimized for i686 and x86-64.

You can use pacman in Ubuntu? Using the Ubuntu repos?

chris200x9
March 30th, 2009, 04:47 PM
You can use pacman in Ubuntu? Using the Ubuntu repos?

I think he was being facetious, I'm pretty sure he meant he runs arch

Vorian Grey
March 30th, 2009, 05:06 PM
I guess I'm a standards kind of guy, if my tweak up version of Jaunty can be called standard. :D

|Porsche
March 30th, 2009, 05:11 PM
If Ubuntu with KDE is called Kubunut. Why isnt the one with Gnome called Gubuntu?

Mehall
March 30th, 2009, 05:17 PM
I've said that many a time.

Ubuntu should be Server edition, Gubuntu should be Gnome.

Ubuntu should be used as blanket name, covering Everything:

Mint
Crunchbang
Kubuntu
Gubuntu
Xubuntu

Etc. If it's desktop Ubuntu it means oone of those. If it's about server's, then it's just "ubuntu"

Dragonbite
March 30th, 2009, 05:19 PM
Why only enable selecting one?

I use Ubuntu Server, Ubuntu standard (2x) and Edubuntu (which I am planning on upgrading).

lykwydchykyn
March 30th, 2009, 05:28 PM
No idea how to vote. I guess I installed Kubuntu, but by the time it's ready for me to use it's anybody's guess what to call it.

Hetor
March 30th, 2009, 06:45 PM
Why only enable selecting one?

I use Ubuntu Server, Ubuntu standard (2x) and Edubuntu (which I am planning on upgrading).

Because you are supposed to select your primiary or favorite distro, not just ones you have installed.

By the way, if I install Ubuntu on another partition while I already have Xubuntu, will I be able to boot them both?

Naiki Muliaina
March 30th, 2009, 07:13 PM
Xubuntu or minimal install with XFCE for me, so voted Xubuntu :guitar:

Edit

I run these because i like XFCE mice ^^

Lunx
April 4th, 2009, 06:47 AM
I selected unofficial as I've got two distros, Intrepid Ibex and CrunchBang, which is what I mainly boot as I'm really enjoying Openbox. So easy to import everything from Intrepid, and stuff like awn and gnome-do worked the moment I installed them. Looks like a very polished effort I'm keen to try for a while

Kevbert
April 4th, 2009, 07:18 AM
Ubuntu 8.04 (default)
Ubuntu 8.10 (for bugs)
Ubuntu 9.04 (for bugs)
Kubuntu 9.04 (may use this in future once bugs fixed)
Xubuntu 8.04 (for speed).

dtoronto
April 4th, 2009, 07:20 AM
I currently use 8.10 on desktop and 8.04 LTS on my servers. Work out great!

mkendall
April 4th, 2009, 07:45 AM
If Ubuntu with KDE is called Kubunut. Why isnt the one with Gnome called Gubuntu?

"Gnubuntu"

I have Xubuntu loaded because I had only 512M of RAM. Now that I've increased the RAM to 2G I think I'll stay with Xubuntu; I'm liking XFCE and I like Thunar much better than I liked Nautilus (which is to say, I don't think very highly of it). Now, if Thunar and pcmanfs could get together and have a lovechild, that would be a file manager to behold.

Orlsend
April 4th, 2009, 07:52 AM
I use eeebuntu cuz I am on eee pc. When I used to have a laptop I used regular gnome Ubuntu.