PDA

View Full Version : Web design Help?

Bankai56
March 30th, 2009, 03:00 PM
OK my friend decided to by a domain for my class to create a website and he also wants to do the site. Now i wondered as i love linux :D if there is a nice web design app for noobs in linux or how i can create a website.
It should be plain with a forum a blog and a pic section. How do i do that?
Thanks in advance.
All the help appreciated.

bapoumba
March 30th, 2009, 08:35 PM
Moved to Cafe.

Tibuda
March 30th, 2009, 08:40 PM
If you know HTML/CSS the default Ubuntu text editor (Gedit) is fine, but you can try also Bluefish. But if you want a WYSIWYG editor, try Amaya, Kompozer or Quanta.

What the poll has to do with it?

Bankai56
March 31st, 2009, 05:00 PM
Nothing really its just for my friend.
So is there anthing like dreamweaver cs3, where i can pick the elements and build a page.
I know basic HTML but that kinda looks boring in the end :D

Mehall
March 31st, 2009, 05:17 PM
Joomla!!

(the first exclamation mark is part of the name)

If you want a blog, Wordpress is a good option actually, and you can add an "about" page easily (see my blog (http://blog.mehall.co.cc) for an example Wordpress, or see here (http://razor.mehall.co.cc/) for an example Joomla! with a nice free theme from RocketTheme.)

Both are content Management Systems, and easy to use. (If you can use a word processor, you can make an article, and installation of the system ain't hard either.)

You want a forum? PunBB or phpBB3 (I like PunBB, but it's got a much smaller community, less custom stuffs like themes.)

Tibuda
March 31st, 2009, 05:53 PM
Nothing really its just for my friend.
So is there anthing like dreamweaver cs3, where i can pick the elements and build a page.
I know basic HTML but that kinda looks boring in the end :D

So you want WYSIWYG. Try Amaya, Kompozer or Quanta.

Sand & Mercury
March 31st, 2009, 06:40 PM
Seconded with Joomla, if you want a ready-made website without knowing anything about web design.

If you want to do it yourself Dreamweaver style, use Kompozer or Quanta. If you're serious about web design though, learn to do it by hand.