PDA

View Full Version : Cloud Computing - A Storm Just Started

NoVista
March 30th, 2009, 01:03 PM
Link is to a BBC news story dated 03-30-2009:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7969458.stm

Funny quote from the article, from Microsoft:
"it appears to us that one company, or just a few companies, would prefer to control the evolution of cloud computing, as opposed to reaching a consensus across key stakeholders through an 'open' process".

Arkenzor
March 30th, 2009, 03:00 PM
The very idea of cloud computing (at least in the eye of big business actors) is to lock people in better by moving the closedness to a place where they won't notice it. How can an "interoperability forum" on that subject be expected to yield any results?

chris200x9
March 30th, 2009, 04:54 PM
cloud computing is a dumb idea my mom was working on word last night and comcast internet went down....if we had cloud computing shed have lost everything, also it's still not up yet so I would be without ANY computer for who knows how long.

Sealbhach
March 31st, 2009, 12:18 AM
Hopefully the whole stupid idea will die away. I'm a little concerned because Karmic is meant to be "in the cloud".

I'd rather keep my money under my mattress, thank you very much.

macroshaft
April 1st, 2009, 01:19 AM
Here, here! I didn't buy the bridge of the enterprise in a box to use it as a dumb terminal!

NoVista
April 1st, 2009, 10:52 AM
Support for cloud computing will be a major feature of the October 2009 release of Ubuntu.

I guess I'm not a visionary.
I'm not for any of this.

pwnst*r
April 1st, 2009, 11:01 AM
could perhaps be good for businesses. home use, no.

igor.
April 1st, 2009, 11:18 AM
"Cloud Computing" is a Buzzword, but the idea behind it has potential. The strengths of it are that it's platform independent and gives you access from anywhere. You can even have a desktop and a web version of an application. Problems come up with the way it's implemented. Namely that it is centralised. One company is in full control of the service and more importantly, all data related to it. Would you trust some third party with your data? I do not. And that's the main reason I do not use so-called "Could Computing" services.

My point is, cloud computing should be open source and decentralised. I want to be able to run my own server, whatever it is.

billgoldberg
April 1st, 2009, 11:23 AM
My point is, cloud computing should be open source and decentralised. I want to be able to run my own server, whatever it is.

This will not happen.

Cloud computing could be great, but the way things are going (like you said, centralized by third parties) is something I will steer away from.

billgoldberg
April 1st, 2009, 11:27 AM
I'm a little concerned because Karmic is meant to be "in the cloud".

Ubuntu will apparently contain tools that leverage the Amazon APIs

It has support for some amazon service, nothing to worry about.

You don't have to use it and can remove the feature if you want.

kiridude
April 1st, 2009, 11:35 AM
I wonder, is a "truly open cloud" possible this day in age with all these giant corporations desperately vying for control...?

Arkenzor
April 1st, 2009, 11:53 AM
That's a domain where the usual guarantees offered by commercial open source actors are not sufficient in my opinion. They might release the source code for their client software (probably won't do it for server-side software though) and use open communication formats, but man they've still got all my data on their hard drives! And I'm still expected to sign outrageous service agreements where I relegate my right do what I want with my own data.

I think a successful "open" cloud computing solution would have to be mostly non-commercial.