PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't Detect Operating System after Install

Frogmaster
March 30th, 2009, 02:11 AM
Hey, I'm very new to Linux. Just downloaded Ubuntu 8.1 and burned it to a disc. I verified the disc and ISO, and they were both fine. I have a Sony PCG-GRZ630 Vaio laptop, 756mb RAM, 2.2 ghz processor, 32mb integrated video memory, 60gb harddrive, previously running Windows XP Home. I decided to completely replace XP with Ubuntu after trying it out and loving it.

It installed okay, and claimed to have finished (I had completely formatted the harddrive and put it all in one partition with a 1gb swap section), making it to the "Please remove the disc, close the tray and hit enter" screen without a hitch. I proceeded to do this and restarted my computer. The SONY screen came up, then after a black screen and a second, it simply stated "Operating System not found" in the top left corner, with no options to do anything.

What did I do wrong? Why won't Ubuntu run on my laptop? Did I do something wrong? Any help would be appreciated, and I would be glad to offer more information if necessary.

Edit: I've tried reinstalling. It looks like it's loading something, then it stops, reverses (sort of) and spits out the disc. Also, it still runs perfectly in the "Try Ubuntu without any change to your system" mode.