PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Need Help for Ubuntu(Newbie)

sunkizzer
March 30th, 2009, 12:18 AM
Hiya,

My 2nd Desktop Pc was installed with winXP but as the WIFI was not yet connected i was unable to activate account. Can i still upload or install the latest Ubuntu on to that pc eventhough the
OS is not operational? Do i need to reformat HDrive with winXP Pro
before i install the Ubuntu?

*** Is this correct? Download Ubuntu from my lappy on to a CD and install the Ubuntu (via CD drive of course) into 2nd Desktop?

Thank you for your kind help and time.:confused:

drs305
March 30th, 2009, 12:26 AM
Yes, you can still install ubuntu from the livecd. You can either make or select the partition during the installation or boot to the livecd Desktop and select System, Administration, Partition Editor (gparted) and create the partition(s) before you start. You will have to have a separate partition for ubuntu since windows is ntfs and ubuntu is formatted to ext, normally ext3.

Welcome to the ubuntu forums.

drs305
March 30th, 2009, 12:41 AM
In response to your PM about Xubuntu vs Ubuntu:

If you have the resources (a relatively modern computer with a normal amount of ram) I'd go with Ubuntu. Xubuntu is designed as a lighter weight OS but it has good features.

You can install one and then install the other's "Desktop" via synaptic (the software manaager) to see what it is like, having access to the look of both.

Here is a link to the system requirements for both:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/SystemRequirements