PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] New to Ubuntu. I get this problem when booting

Teh H4rRy
March 29th, 2009, 08:28 PM
I have loved using Ubuntu on the Live CD and now i want to install it. I am new to Linux and i really want to get stuck into it. I apologize if this isn't in the right place. I have searched and i don't find anything that matches my problem.

Ive installed Ubuntu 8.10 off of the CD onto a 20gb Hard drive. No partitions using the whole drive. The installation succeeds and doesn't say anything is wrong. I Reboot the disk ejects, and my computer stays on with no hard drive activity and no display output (monitor goes into standby) So i wait as long as i can to see if anything happens, nothing does so i hold down the power button to reboot it. I boot off the hard drive, the ubuntu splash screen comes up and the scrolling orange bar is moving back and forth. Then this pops up....(took a photo, easier than typing it all in)

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p204/nintendomad/IMG_0472.jpg
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p204/nintendomad/IMG_0473.jpg

jakenn-linux
March 29th, 2009, 09:20 PM
I was having problems with my newly built computer. But my problem was even with the LiveCD. I have two SATA hard drives, is your hard drive an SATA? If so, then I have a workaround that I use that might work for you. My message screens weren't exactly like yours, except for the part about the BusyBox.

Teh H4rRy
March 29th, 2009, 09:21 PM
Nope ATA IDE drive

WA_Garrett
March 29th, 2009, 09:27 PM
When I tried to install 8.10 I had some difficulties to, different ones though, I eventually decided to just install 8.04 and it works fine, try burning a 8.04 live CD and then try to install it. Even if you don't want to run 8.04 just try it anyways (you can always install something different later) if you succeed you will at least know if you can install a version of Ubuntu on your machine and you can go from there.

revidnus
March 30th, 2009, 01:52 AM
You may need to check your BIOS and make sure the boot order of your disk.
Sometimes Grub and Linux sees it different than Windows. Try changing the boot order around. It worked for me on several different installs.

revidnus
March 30th, 2009, 01:54 AM
Oops that sentence didn't make sense.
I meant to say check you boot order in your BIOS.

Teh H4rRy
March 30th, 2009, 05:07 PM
Nope only one hard drive in the computer, ive kept my windows disk out for the time being, last time i tried installing it over wrote the boot loader,

Teh H4rRy
March 30th, 2009, 05:10 PM
My motherboard is a Asus A7n8x-NM My brother has reason to believe its the drive controller. Im googling