PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] How to Install Adobe Acrobat Reader 9.1

jcobban
March 29th, 2009, 05:33 PM
When I go to the Adobe website to download Adobe Acrobat Reader 9.1 it recognizes that I am running Linux, but the file that it delivers to me has a .bin extension, and I am unable to open it or execute it.

What am I supposed to do with this file?

Once I have Reader installed, how do I activate the Firefox plugin?

oldos2er
March 29th, 2009, 06:25 PM
Assuming the *.bin is on your desktop, open a terminal and run these commands one at a time:

cd Desktop
chmod a+x *.bin
sudo ./*.bin
Replace the * with whatever the file name is.

William Anderson
April 8th, 2009, 09:21 PM
you can also download a DEB file from the Adobe web site. Follow the "Different language or operating system?" link, select "Linux - x86 (.deb)" from the "Select an operating system" drop down list box, choose your language and press Continue. This brings up Step 2 of 2 where you select the version to download.

If you save the file, run the command "sudo dpkg -i package_file.deb" where the string package_file.deb is replaced with the Adobe Reader deb file.

This way the software package manager will know about the Adobe Reader and can be used to update or remove it in the future.

Hope this helps,

William

TimDaniels
April 19th, 2009, 04:57 AM
you can also download a DEB file from the Adobe web site. Follow the "Different language or operating system?" link, select "Linux - x86 (.deb)" from the "Select an operating system" drop down list box [...]

Thank - YOU! I had the same problem for several days, and that solved it! I guess I didn't see the scroll bar, and I didn't scroll down to the ".deb" selection.

*TimDaniels*

fox mulder
April 19th, 2009, 05:48 PM
Ive followed these instructions and get this error message
E: /var/cache/apt/archives/acroread_9.1.0-7intrepid1_i386.deb: trying to overwrite `/usr/share/man/man1/acroread.1.gz', which is also in package acroread-debian-files
any help would be appreciated

45acp
April 19th, 2009, 07:55 PM
I am wondering about this also. I get the same error when installing updates with the update manager.

Mishal
April 20th, 2009, 01:21 AM
Same problem here. Someone please help.

krgp
April 21st, 2009, 02:43 AM
I get the same error, and have the update manager icon always telling me that adobe reader needs updating.

William Anderson
April 25th, 2009, 12:17 AM
Hi,

You have already installed the ubuntu supplied acroread package. The error is because the Adobe package is trying to overwrite a file in that already installed package.

There are two ways to fix this: force the package manager to ignore this kind of error, or remove the Ubuntu acroread package. The first is dangerous because a future upgrade might break things in unpredictable and hard to diagnose ways (ie a new library with a different interface causes one package to fail after the other is upgraded.)

To remove the Ubuntu acroread package, use synapatic, search for acroread, click on the green check box and select "Mark for removal". Next click on the Apply button in the toolbar and follow the prompts. From the command line you can run "sudo apt-get remove acroread".

Both of these processes should prompt for the removal of any packages, such as the firefox plugin, if they are installed. You will need to remove these packages as well.

Once the Ubuntu acroread package is removed, you can then install the Adobe package.

Hope this helps,

William

Giguntu
April 27th, 2009, 12:48 AM
Is there also a way to install Adobe with apt-get or similar package manager???

600WPMPO
May 1st, 2009, 09:40 AM
Hi,

You have already installed the ubuntu supplied acroread package. The error is because the Adobe package is trying to overwrite a file in that already installed package.

There are two ways to fix this: force the package manager to ignore this kind of error, or remove the Ubuntu acroread package. The first is dangerous because a future upgrade might break things in unpredictable and hard to diagnose ways (ie a new library with a different interface causes one package to fail after the other is upgraded.)

To remove the Ubuntu acroread package, use synapatic, search for acroread, click on the green check box and select "Mark for removal". Next click on the Apply button in the toolbar and follow the prompts. From the command line you can run "sudo apt-get remove acroread".

Both of these processes should prompt for the removal of any packages, such as the firefox plugin, if they are installed. You will need to remove these packages as well.

Once the Ubuntu acroread package is removed, you can then install the Adobe package.

Hope this helps,

William

I was wondering if I can do it more simply, you know, all this installing a .deb file & then removing acroread...

Here's how:

1. Open Synaptic
2. Search for acroread
3. Mark & install

Would this be any different from installing from adobe's site ?

p.s. I have alredy downloaded the 60 MB .deb file from adobe, but I would like to install in the way I mentioned above. Am I doing right ? :confused:

bngguy
May 1st, 2009, 10:07 AM
I was wondering if I can do it more simply, you know, all this installing a .deb file & then removing acroread...

Here's how:

1. Open Synaptic
2. Search for acroread
3. Mark & install

Would this be any different from installing from adobe's site ?

p.s. I have alredy downloaded the 60 MB .deb file from adobe, but I would like to install in the way I mentioned above. Am I doing right ? :confused:

Yes you are doing it right, just delete the file you downloaded from adobe, synaptic will download from the ubuntu archive and install adobe 9.1

600WPMPO
May 1st, 2009, 05:06 PM
yessir, I installed it via synaptic.. as easy as it can be..!! :P

koshari
May 9th, 2009, 12:33 PM
in 9.04 i cant find any acroread in the repos except for the amd64 build,

i downloaded the bin file anyway and put it in my path , ran the installer and installed it to my home dir, without root permissiona and its seems to work anyway,

karlson
October 14th, 2009, 06:35 PM
I've just looked over the medibuntu.org package repository and acroread is missing from repositories for all versions.

Is there a problem with the package?

Does anyone know when it will become available if ever?

projectbronco
October 17th, 2009, 01:19 AM
I tried installing the .deb file and got:
Errors were encountered while processing:
AdbeRdr9.1.2-1_i386linux_enu.deb

So I double clicked on the file and the package manager said:

Is this because I have the 64 bit system. Also, I'm still running 8.10...
Thanks for any help.

kostkon
October 17th, 2009, 01:38 AM
I've just looked over the medibuntu.org package repository and acroread is missing from repositories for all versions.

Is there a problem with the package?

Does anyone know when it will become available if ever?
I think now is offered by the Partner repo so you can easily install it in Ubuntu without the need to add the Medibuntu repo.

phillw
October 17th, 2009, 01:51 AM
Soz, I cannot remember how i linked things up for adobe reader ...

acroread is in the repository (Synaptic Package Manager)

But, I didn't use that ... from memory it was along these lines ..

http://ubuntuguide.net/install-adobe-reader-on-ubuntu-904

My updates for reader & flash install when there is a new update.
Adobe is, actually, *nix friendly - You do, however, have to tell the down-load section
what it is you want - in the case of ubuntu (which is listed) - you need the deb section - or, at least you did when I was doing my initial install.

You may need alien (Synaptic Package Manager)

For it to easily install.

I've no doubt others will say of other ways - All I say is what works for me :P

Phill.

izak
October 30th, 2009, 03:23 PM
How do you get this installed on 64 bit?

acroread is not in the standard repository.
All the binaries/debs available from adobe's site are __x86.

But, I didn't use that ... from memory it was along these lines ..

http://ubuntuguide.net/install-adobe...-on-ubuntu-904

I also tried to follow the above help but acroread is apparently not in the medibuntu 64 bit repository eiter.

Any help please?

izak
October 30th, 2009, 03:42 PM
After searching some more, I found out that (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1161163) one must ad canonical partners to the repository, not medibuntu. This worked for me on jaunty 64 bit.

faical117
October 30th, 2009, 03:44 PM
Step 1: Add the Medibuntu repository.
Run the following command in a terminal

-> echo deb http://packages.medibuntu.org/ karmic free non-free | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list

Step 2: Install the appropriate keys and update the software sources list. (Do not worry if this step fails)

wget -q http://packages.medibuntu.org/medibuntu-key.gpg -O- | sudo apt-key add – && sudo aptitude update

Step 3: Search and install whatever you like.

sudo apt-get install acroread mozilla-acroread acroread-plugins

:KS

NormanFLinux
October 30th, 2009, 04:09 PM
Majing things easier on yourself and choose other operating systems from the Adobe menu and chose Linux X86 (deb.) It will download a Debian package file that can be installed with the Gdebi installer.