PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Changing Desktop Background

Slurm
March 29th, 2009, 05:19 PM
Fellow Ubuntu People,

Recently I ran across this post where one can get live streaming pictures of Earth from the ISS

http://www.universetoday.com/2009/03/10/live-from-space-streaming-webcam-now-available/

There are similar one from the Mars express:

http://www.universetoday.com/2009/03/26/mars-webcam-is-back/

I was wondering if someone can tell me if I can make this my desktop background. It would be interesting to be working on the computer and to be able to see the Earth in the background moving in realtime. If not that, then someone might like, say live feeds from nature preserves or the SOHO satellite or a monitor from a volcano.

I am really not sure how to set that up... Thanks in advance..

Slurm

Sojurner
March 29th, 2009, 11:55 PM
i belive one of the video players that come with ubuntu can do this maybe. I have herd that u can use one to make a video ur background..

so i would imagine if u can stream video with the player it should be possible..

Godly
March 31st, 2009, 10:55 PM
i belive one of the video players that come with ubuntu can do this maybe. I have herd that u can use one to make a video ur background..

so i would imagine if u can stream video with the player it should be possible..
But how?

Sojurner
April 1st, 2009, 01:10 PM
that im not quite sure. i was just giving u a place to start. ive only herd about it.

Mehashi
April 1st, 2009, 01:24 PM
I use Vlc Media player alot and with that you have the option to run in wallpaper mode rather than the normal window. Works well on windows although i havent tried it in *nix.

Also I think you can use vlc for streaming, however I have never done this, but if you combined the stream function and used wallpaper mode that should be close to what you are looking for?

I hope that helps!
^_^

coolman009
April 1st, 2009, 02:07 PM
Isn't there any software for that???i heard of the software wallpaper changer 1.2 for linux systems...but dont know whether it will work for ubuntu or not...will tell you guys if it works for me!!!