PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] firefox 3.0.8. update problem

boka nsv
March 29th, 2009, 03:38 PM
Firefox update`s itself to the 3.0.8 version, than requires restart, I restart computer, than open firefox and it isn`t updated!
It updades itself again, and requires restart again. And it goes like this on and on :(
Now while I browse net in this state of browser (it is updated, but waits for restart) I can`t use search option, and back option doen`t work.
What do I have to do to update firefox properly to this version?

cariboo
March 29th, 2009, 08:20 PM
Are you actually downloading the update and is it getting installed properly? If the update has fully downloaded, the package should be in /var/cache/apt/archives. I would suggest you try ro install the package manually.

Jim

otkaz
March 30th, 2009, 05:28 AM
Firefox update`s itself to the 3.0.8 version, than requires restart, I restart computer, than open firefox and it isn`t updated!
It updades itself again, and requires restart again. And it goes like this on and on :(
Now while I browse net in this state of browser (it is updated, but waits for restart) I can`t use search option, and back option doen`t work.

Same problem here every time I open firefox it acts like I just ran the update takes me to the "firefox has been updated page" and no back button. if I go to manage plugins in options it crashes. Tried reruning the updates, and rebooting none of this helped...

update
strange after shutting down my computer for the night I woke up this morning and its working now???

boka nsv
March 31st, 2009, 03:52 PM
It updades itself again, and requires restart again. And it goes like this on and on

boka nsv
March 31st, 2009, 05:02 PM
It update`s itself automatically. This time the update is not done well. I`ve reinstalled it, but it is the same. Browser doesn`t work, as well as back button... almoust unusable.
Like there `s something missing in update, or this update is not completely compatible.

cariboo
March 31st, 2009, 05:49 PM
I got a pm from a new user this morning:

hello!

i got some problems activating my account, but i wanted to share just a single idea anyway. i've seen you are active in the thread of "firefox 3.0.8. update problem" so maybe you could post it for me.

i am not an experienced ubuntu user, but i encountered the same problem as boka nsv (a successful update message at every restart, no history, no bookmarks, no plug-ins), however the problem turned out to be very trivial. Namely, i didn't realise i was pretty low on disk space and as soon as i removed some old stuff, another restart of firefox solved the problem for good. as simple as that :)

otkaz probably used the same solution, without even knowing it :)

that's it from me - if you think it might make sense, please post it in the thread. thanks a lot!

cheers,
m

He solved the problem.

Jim

cariboo
March 31st, 2009, 06:11 PM
Double posting is from upon, see the other thread to see if the solution by Solvent solves your problem.

Jim

boka nsv
April 1st, 2009, 03:55 PM
Jim and Solvent, thank you wery much!
I still had some free disk space, but didn`t now that is not enough. Couple of old movies deleted, and the problem is gone :)))