PDA

View Full Version : MS TV ad attack MAC on price.

BuffaloX
March 29th, 2009, 01:08 PM
Well we all know which OS has the best price. :P

One interesting thing in the article, is a schematic of user satisfaction.
With Linux thoroughly beating Windows, and just behind MAC OS X.

The article is from AppleInsider, so probably not exactly objective, but I think they have a couple of good points.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/03/26/microsoft_to_attack_mac_pricing_in_new_series_of_t v_ads.html

Polygon
March 29th, 2009, 03:40 PM
i think in the ad she got gipped. the bigger the laptop, the less money it is..... (like i cant find a < 15 inch screen for under 1000 dollars) i think she could of found an even cheaper laptop if she actually tried.

Giant Speck
March 29th, 2009, 03:45 PM
I would have at least tried to use the entire $1000, unless they let me keep the change.

Also, the commercial doesn't outline exactly what specifications she wants other than a 17" screen.

TBOL3
March 29th, 2009, 03:46 PM
Hmmm... ok. I do have to say it's better than their previous two ads.

mamamia88
March 29th, 2009, 03:58 PM
well price is really the only thing they got going for them and choice of hardware might as well advertise it. kind of a low blow though if you ask me

thewolfman
March 29th, 2009, 04:09 PM
Hi Guys,

I think apart from the fact that we know Linux is best you are missing one main thing with the ad.

"The girl in the ad got a free PC out of the deal which would have cost them a whole lot more had they had hired a professional actress to take the part so MS got a cheap ad out of the deal".

HP are good PC's; that there is no denying!.

Have a good one fella's.

thewolfman.

cdwillis
March 29th, 2009, 04:13 PM
I'm not going to bother watching the advertisement, I've read a bit about it on other sites. We all know who wins based on price.

Skripka
March 29th, 2009, 04:20 PM
I would have at least tried to use the entire $1000, unless they let me keep the change.

Also, the commercial doesn't outline exactly what specifications she wants other than a 17" screen.

Most folks, in all honesty, only know they want a big monitor for multitasking purposes, beyond that they aren't picky. So her vague shopping objectives are not beyond the realm of possibility.

Although me, once you start getting above a 15" monitor you're looking at desktop replacement machines, as 17" laptops are heavy and not mobile...and you're better off buying a desktop for multi tasking and a light netbookish platform for on the go.

I dragged a 15" laptop around during my undergrad coursewok, in addition to my other books...and it was NOT fun or good for my back.

jimi_hendrix
March 29th, 2009, 04:24 PM
i dont know any unsatisfied linux users

Rokurosv
March 29th, 2009, 04:35 PM
I think it was a good ad.

I-75
March 29th, 2009, 04:36 PM
$1000 for a Laptop? I can get a better deal than that...

For $1000

I can buy a Mac G3 with OSX Tiger on E-bay for $125
I can buy a Dell mini 9 w/Ubuntu for $250 at Dell
I can buy a full fledged laptop at Best Buy w/Vista for $399
I can Buy a refurbished XP computer @ Micro center for $149

And still have money left over for shipping costs and sales tax.

Skripka
March 29th, 2009, 04:41 PM
$1000 for a Laptop? I can get a better deal than that...

For $1000

I can buy a Mac G3 with OSX Tiger on E-bay for $125
I can buy a Dell mini 9 w/Ubuntu for $250 at Dell
I can buy a full fledged laptop at Best Buy w/Vista for $399
I can Buy a refurbished XP computer @ Micro center for $149

And still have money left over for shipping costs and sales tax.

Tell me again...how many of those laptops systems have a 17" monitor? Because I'm fairly sure the answer is none.

jimi_hendrix
March 29th, 2009, 04:42 PM
sound didnt work, what did the add say

Tomosaur
March 29th, 2009, 06:34 PM
I find it somewhat disturbing (well, not really) that virtually no computer users see themselves as 'very satisfied' (across the whole spectrum of operating systems). Only a Mac breaches the 50% mark, and Windows performs abysmally.

Something's gotta give!

cardinals_fan
March 29th, 2009, 06:57 PM
I find it somewhat disturbing (well, not really) that virtually no computer users see themselves as 'very satisfied' (across the whole spectrum of operating systems). Only a Mac breaches the 50% mark, and Windows performs abysmally.

Something's gotta give!
XP Pro wasn't that badly rated.

Anyway, every operating system has tons of flaws. All one can do is pick what works best for them.

doorknob60
March 29th, 2009, 07:02 PM
Honestly, this was a smart move for MS. Apple is way overpriced, and we all know that, not that Microsoft isn't expensive too though, they just sell to OEMs for mega low prices, which seems unfair.

schauerlich
March 29th, 2009, 07:06 PM
The woman never looked at the Apple computers.

Notice when she walks in there is a man in a brown jacket and sunglasses that looks at her as she walks in. When she walks out, the guy is about 10 feet forward. They just had her walk in and out in one shot.

zekopeko
March 29th, 2009, 07:26 PM
so the whole point of the ad is the plethora of hardware availability for windows machines?

what does that have to do with the merits of windows? why don't they show all the "cool" things windows can do?
They can't attack Apple on the hardware dimension since the they aren't a hardware manufacture (well not a big one). And how much more would a PC be if you had to pay the full price of Windows not the OEM one?

Giant Speck
March 29th, 2009, 07:29 PM

Notice when she walks in there is a man in a brown jacket and sunglasses that looks at her as she walks in. When she walks out, the guy is about 10 feet forward. They just had her walk in and out in one shot.

She also says she'd have to double her budget to afford a 17-inch Mac.

The truth is, she'd have to almost triple her budget. The cheapest 17-inch Macbook is the 17-inch MacBook Pro, which costs $2,799. The regular MacBook and the MacBook Air only have a 13.3-inch screen.

Even if the 17-inch screen wasn't a strict requirement for her, she still wouldn't have been able to afford a MacBook for less than $1000. The white MacBook is the cheapest Apple laptop, at $999. After tax, the total exceeds $1000.

jimi_hendrix
March 29th, 2009, 07:38 PM
She also says she'd have to double her budget to afford a 17-inch Mac.

The truth is, she'd have to almost triple her budget. The cheapest 17-inch Macbook is the 17-inch MacBook Pro, which costs $2,799. The regular MacBook and the MacBook Air only have a 13.3-inch screen.

Even if the 17-inch screen wasn't a strict requirement for her, she still wouldn't have been able to afford a MacBook for less than $1000. The white MacBook is the cheapest Apple laptop, at $999. After tax, the total exceeds $1000.

at school i asked someone once why they got a mac.

they said "they're cheap and i bought it with my own money"

cardinals_fan
March 29th, 2009, 07:42 PM
And how much more would a PC be if you had to pay the full price of Windows not the OEM one?
But you don't, so the point is moot.

wolfyking2
March 29th, 2009, 07:48 PM
I just saw this commercial. This is BS. I got a MAC flowerpot for 150$

cprofitt
March 29th, 2009, 07:49 PM

One quick question would have had her turning around...

"Excuse me I need a 17" laptop for $1000 or less..."

The instant snide comments and laughing coming from the people wearing colored shirts pretending to be experts would have told her there was no point in looking any further.

Apple computers are over priced - no arguing that. I got a 15.4" Lenovo with a 1680x1050 screen (not an option on a Mac) for $1347 and the equivalent Mac would have run me $2499. There is no way I can justify buying an Apple Mac when it costs nearly double.

Hardware choice is a PLUS for Windows users. It is something that Microsoft can crow about -- they make an OS that can run on any Intel platform including those produced by Apple. OS X can, but Apple will not allow it.

benerivo
March 29th, 2009, 07:57 PM
Nice advert, but price is the one thing even the less technical of us can understand. It's not as if people have been buying macs, unaware of the fact you can get laptops at half that price. They buy macs knowing they are paying a premium.

KiwiNZ
March 29th, 2009, 08:14 PM
Who cares***

You buy a Mac and love it.... great
You buy a dell and love it..... great
You use OSX and love it...... great
You use Windows and love it .....great.

Choice ....its yours

The argument will go on for ever, its been done to death . Lets move on.

chris200x9
March 29th, 2009, 08:30 PM
Who cares***

You buy a Mac and love it.... use linux!
You buy a dell and love it..... use linux!
You use OSX and love it...... use linux!
You use Windows and love it .....use linux!

Choice ....its yours, the right choice is linux.

The argument will go on for ever, its been done to death . Lets move on.

there I fixed it for you :)

Giant Speck
March 29th, 2009, 08:31 PM

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk122/SpecKtacle/facepalm-1.gif

KiwiNZ
March 29th, 2009, 09:10 PM

:):P
point

myusername
March 29th, 2009, 09:10 PM
man thats dirty. i mean you have to admit, mac has some of the best laptops out there (excluding price. but its worth every penny). that hp was a pile of crap

jamieh
March 30th, 2009, 04:25 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIS6G-HvnkU

Simply ridiculous....

Therion
March 30th, 2009, 04:28 PM
"This is like a phone!"

Congrats, Lauren... You're an idiot.

Simian Man
March 30th, 2009, 04:31 PM
HP does make great, inexpensive computers. Now what does this have to do with Windows???

PS. My HP Pavillion laptop is running Fedora 10.

Brunellus
March 30th, 2009, 04:37 PM
HP does make great, inexpensive computers. Now what does this have to do with Windows???

PS. My HP Pavillion laptop is running Fedora 10.
It just so happens that Windows Vista is the "recommended" OS for those computers.

MSFT is resurrecting an old (and mostly valid) response to Apple fanboyism: their software runs on cheap commodity hardware, and both the hardware and software are universally available.

The buying process in the commercial is a bit forced and contrived, but it's close enough to reality for most users.

She dismisses the netbook out of hand because it didn't fit her hardware profile; I don't have a problem with it.

smartboyathome
March 30th, 2009, 04:39 PM

They ship with Windows as default, with only one computer which has Linux. I guess this could be applied to Linux, though.

"We asked Lauren to find a Linux computer. She wanted it to have at least a 15.4 inch screen. She found none. We then asked her to try out Linux on the laptop she bought. She found she had driver issues and gave up."

It is true, on the average computer, there is usually at least one piece of hardware which either doesn't work with Linux or has a bug that needs to be fixed.

Brunellus
March 30th, 2009, 04:41 PM
also: it didn't hurt that she's not hard to look at.

LowSky
March 30th, 2009, 04:42 PM
My sister has that HP laptop or at least one that is very similar.
I hate the keyboard the keys are too big, and the number keypad keys are too small, and the screen is glossy which annoys me.

Vista is worthless to me, I'm running Ubuntu or Windows 7 (as some things I do still require Windows).

At least the girl was cute... I have a thing for red heads...lol

Therion
March 30th, 2009, 04:45 PM
... she's not hard to look at.
In keeping with every Lauren I've known.

I have a thing for red heads...
That's because you're male.

/Yes, I know that's probably not her real name...

MarcusA
March 30th, 2009, 04:46 PM
OMG it haz screen!

Sealbhach
March 30th, 2009, 04:47 PM
She wanted a Mac, couldn't afford it, had to settle for some low spec laptop with Vista shoehorned onto it.

Brunellus
March 30th, 2009, 04:47 PM
OMG it haz screen!
You mean like GNU Screen (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Screen)?

Mehall
March 30th, 2009, 04:48 PM
At least the girl was cute... I have a thing for red heads...lol

Ditto, lol.

And yeah, HP make good, inexpensive laptops (mine is a 15.4 widescreen with dual-core + nVidia graphics + good sound + various other good things for £350 Shame the case is cheap as all hell. :S I might have to pay someone to make me a better one in the next year or so. Cheaper than a new PC though, unless I buy a netbook.)

Simian Man
March 30th, 2009, 04:51 PM
Well the point of the ad was that PC hardware such as HP sells has a better quality to price ratio than the hardware Mac sells. This is very true, but the fact that these PCs come with Windows is irrelevant. In fact they are cheap *in spite* of this.

Brunellus
March 30th, 2009, 04:51 PM
Ditto, lol.

And yeah, HP make good, inexpensive laptops (mine is a 15.4 widescreen with dual-core + nVidia graphics + good sound + various other good things for £350 Shame the case is cheap as all hell. :S I might have to pay someone to make me a better one in the next year or so. Cheaper than a new PC though, unless I buy a netbook.)
"Laptops" aren't really "portable" computers as much as they are "transportable" computers. Anecdotal observation of HP lappies, similar class as the one in the commercial, seems to show that they're fine so long as you don't carry them around much. They're simply not built to take the type of pounding they get in being carried with books.

Drifting offtopic, this is why I love netbooks so much: I get a computer I can really carry, and then leave all the heavy stuff to a desktop at home.

Brunellus
March 30th, 2009, 04:52 PM
Well the point of the ad was that PC hardware such as HP sells has a better quality to price ratio than the hardware Mac sells. This is very true, but the fact that these PCs come with Windows is irrelevant. In fact they are cheap *in spite* of this.
Try ordering one without an OS, and you'll see the price shoot up.

Therion
March 30th, 2009, 04:53 PM
Unavailable for comment...
http://www.wemakedotcoms.com/ellen/images/apple_store.jpg

|Porsche
March 30th, 2009, 04:54 PM
She was hot.

Simian Man
March 30th, 2009, 04:56 PM

I know, but that's only because there is little demand for computers w/o an OS. If enough people wanted a free or no OS installed by default, the price would drop below the ones with Windows installed. It sucks, but I have fully paid for 3 versions of Windows that were promptly blown to oblivion by Linux installers :).

smartboyathome
March 30th, 2009, 04:56 PM

That is due to the biggest manufacturers not offering this, and the smaller manufacturers can't sell and buy in bulk, thus forcing them to raise the price.

Vorian Grey
March 30th, 2009, 05:02 PM
I'm always happy to find a cheap women. I can buy her a cheap Windows computer while I get to play with the expensive Mac computer. Cool.

Swagman
March 30th, 2009, 05:08 PM
Just added my comment.

If she hurries up she'll be just in time to get Conficker

shatteredmindofbob
April 1st, 2009, 03:42 AM
...she looks like a girl I used to date.