PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu for Laptops

Generic Bond
March 29th, 2009, 08:03 AM
Hi. My boyfriend wants Ubuntu on his laptop. He's unable to get on his laptop because his Windows crashes and laptop shuts down automatically.

Does anybody know what version of Ubuntu is available for Toshiba laptops? If so, where do I go? I'm going to try and burn that version from my desktop onto a disc and install it on his laptop.

Thanks.

Synthros
March 29th, 2009, 08:17 AM
I just run the standard 8.10 desktop version on my laptop, which has never given me any problems. You can find it here:

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download

sabith
March 29th, 2009, 08:20 AM
Ubuntu.com use version 8.10
download the iso file and write it to a cd
then put in the cd restart computer folow instructions

coffeecat
March 29th, 2009, 11:22 AM
Does anybody know what version of Ubuntu is available for Toshiba laptops?

It really depends on which model and what particular hardware. Suggest you download 8.10 and burn to CD as previous posters suggest. Then simply try booting up with it on your boyfriend's laptop and see what does and doesn't work when you run live. Do, please, reassure your boyfriend that Ubuntu runs much faster when installed. :) . If you choose not to install, you won't affect anything on the hard disc. In particular, try out the wireless as this is often where difficult chipsets cause problems. (If you don't know already, simply click on the Network Manager icon near the top right, select your wireless network and give your passkey where prompted. If you get no visible wireless networks, then you have a 'difficult' wireless chipset.)

If everything works to your satisfaction on the live CD, you are safe to install. If not, search this forum with the particular Toshiba model you have and see if anyone has got the difficult bits working.

BelaC
March 29th, 2009, 01:11 PM
Dear Coffeecat. I hope you know the answer.
It's really same are as a Live and as an installed OS (just faster as installed)? I ask 'cos I have trouble with installed version(s). More kind of distro's running well as Live but installing on my laptop doesn't. For example my Kubuntu as Live OK and as installed I can't to change my every time fading display. I has been tried fixing this problem with install KPowersave no bother. It's normally working under moving the slider and dimming back when do nothing with. (I switched off auto fading func as well!)

coffeecat
March 29th, 2009, 02:00 PM
BelaC, no, sorry I don't have an answer.

You'd be better to start your own thread asking for advice specific to your problem. Post all details of your laptop there and I'm sure someone will be able to help.

Mark Phelps
March 29th, 2009, 03:55 PM
There is no "special" version of Ubuntu just for laptops. The advice given to try the LiveCD most first is important -- because anything that doesn't work with the LiveCD mode is then going to range from difficult to impossible to fix once installed.

Laptops present more problems than desktops because the motherboards and other hardware are often custom built for the vendors, meaning that unique drivers are often needed. With MS Windows, these drivers are supplied on the laptop and/or on included CDs. With Linux, it's another problem.

For example, I have a Toshiba laptop that worked, after a lot of hacking, under Hardy (8.04), but no amount of hacking can get it working under 8.10 or 9.04 beta.