PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Network TV shows on demand - NO LINUX SUPPORT!

maphilli14
March 29th, 2009, 06:25 AM
ABC and FOX and perhaps others are now using some install to stream their content to users. But try to get a 'client' for linux!

Windows, obviously... Mac, yes...

LINUX?

NOPE!

http://www.fox.com/fod/includes/moveinstall/index.htm

It looks like your operating system is not supported. The following operatings systems are supported at this time:

* Windows XP, 2000 or Vista
* Mac OS X 10.3 or greater

Why does this make me feel inferior as a proud linux user? And what can we do about it?

Mike

Taus
March 29th, 2009, 07:16 AM
I believe that you can install firefox for windows using wine and then install the addon for firefox. It's not a client for linux but a work around to still watch their content.

I hope it helps.

cheers :popcorn:

lovinglinux
March 29th, 2009, 12:26 PM
Why does this make me feel inferior as a proud linux user? And what can we do about it?

There should be a law against digital discrimination :)

You should complain to ABC and FOX instead of relying on some workaround. The only similar service accessible in my country (Terra TV, which sucks by the way) had a similar problem, but people complained a lot and now we can watch the streams with mplayer. It's not fully supported, but it works. There are only a few old series and the quality of the stream is awful, but at least we can watch now like any other Windows user. The only series season available on the site which is currently being broadcast in the US is Lost. You can watch episode 4 of season 5 now, for a limited period.

The FOX streaming site in my country supports Linux, but you can watch only a few episodes. For example they started the site promoting "24" series by allowing you to review season one. I was interested, because I didn't see that season. But they stream only 10 episodes and they don't offer a way to buy the remaining episodes. They also don't offer reruns on the channel (which I subscribe). Ridiculous! I don't promote or support piracy, but I understand why people do it. This kind of policy is what makes people look for alternative sources.

maphilli14
March 30th, 2009, 02:21 PM
I found ABC's lack of Linux support 1st and DID actually take the time to complain to them about it. Then Fox and just gave up to come here for the guru's advice.

I did try Wine with IE and no go on ABC's site.

Mike

wolfen69
March 30th, 2009, 04:54 PM
install windows in virtualbox.