PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Video flickers with Ati X1300

VGAjunkie
March 29th, 2009, 03:28 AM
I'm new to ubuntu and have been using it for about 3mth now. I changed my hardware and now my movies on my computer will no longer run. I've been converting my VHS to DivX format for safekeeping on my windows system but I play them on my ubuntu system.

Here is what I found as the problem when I use the ATI fglrx drivers I can get the video to play in totem player but even at 70 hertz the video keeps flashing and flickering every 2 seconds. When I disable the fglrx drivers and revert to the basic drivers when I try to open a movie, totem just closes. I though it had to do with the aspect ratio but that changed nothing.

The highest resoution with the ATI fglrx drivers is
1280 X 1024@70Hrz My screen is an RCA 26inch flat screen tv. I tried all the settings at 70 or 60Hrz. I normally have 1024X768 on my old system so I tried it on this new card and same problem. What I really want to know is the X1300 just a pain to use and I should chuck it or is there another driver or setting I missed.

The old computer I use to have was and no problems from day one with watching movies.
P4 1.8ghz
1.75gig ram
agp Nvidia 6500
Ubuntu 8.10

the new system and I haven't been able to play a single movie as it flickers.
P4 3ghz
1.5gig ram
PCIe Ati 1300X
Ubuntu 8.10

all the video are using the AC3 codex.

Thank you for your time and help.

Melcar
March 29th, 2009, 05:21 AM
Do you have desktop effects turned on (Compiz)? Video playback will flicker if you do.

TomB19
March 29th, 2009, 04:54 PM
Do you have desktop effects turned on (Compiz)? Video playback will flicker if you do.

Thank you.

I just turned off my effects and video is now working perfectly. :guitar:

VGAjunkie
March 29th, 2009, 08:56 PM
Thank you that solved it no more flickering and I can use the full screen now. :KS