PDA

View Full Version : C++ Programs

bjb.butler
March 29th, 2009, 01:36 AM
By the summer, I will have completed a couple C++ classes. I was thinking about trying to help out in the FOSS community be becoming a packager/maintainer/patcher for a program that is written in C++, and is not too complex, something that I would actually be able to contribute to.

What are some projects written in C++ that I can get involved in?

thanks,bj

DGortze380
March 29th, 2009, 05:41 AM
While I allows encourage programs to get involved in open source projects, I suggest that you complete more than just an intro class before diving into maintained community code.

Definitely look at it, play with it, change it, use it as platform to learn more about programming. Once you get over that steep learning curve, you'll be able to provide a lot of useful code.

bjb.butler
March 29th, 2009, 09:04 AM
I apologize, I miss spoke a little. I will have taken a couple classes by the time spring quarter is finished. The class I begin taking in a few days

Covers structured and object-oriented programming in C++. Emphasizes good programming principles and development of substantial programs. Topics include recursion, pointers, linked lists, abstract data types, and libraries. Also covers software engineering principles.

I completely agree that I need more experience, and that is why I would like to get involved, but I am unsure about how to go about finding which programs are written in C++...should I just look at the source for each app (seems entirely too time consuming).

CptPicard
March 29th, 2009, 10:55 AM
should I just look at the source for each app (seems entirely too time consuming).

You can search places like sourceforge based on implementation language. And yes, projects do tell what they're written in, and you can and should take a look at the source. If that is too time-consuming, then surely participating in a project is way too time-consuming...

nvteighen
March 29th, 2009, 11:07 AM
Just a note... By just knowing a single language you're restricting your spectrum... I'd first wait to learn other languages before trying to dive into FOSS projects: you'll be more mature and you'll increase your chances of finding something you like.