PDA

View Full Version : Thinking About Getting a DVI Cable

izizzle
March 28th, 2009, 11:53 PM
I am thinking about getting a DVI cable to increase the image quality on my monitor. My graphics card is an XFX 8600GT XXX and it supports DVI-I (see image). My monitor has a DVI connection that looks like the one in the attatched image. Which cable do I need to successfully connect these two?

Thanks.

P.S: Is DVI quality noticable?

Skripka
March 28th, 2009, 11:55 PM
I am thinking about getting a DVI cable to increase the image quality on my monitor. My graphics card is an XFX 8600GT XXX and it supports DVI-I (see image). My monitor has a DVI connection that looks like the one in the attatched image. Which cable do I need to successfully connect these two?

Thanks.

P.S: Is DVI quality noticable?

Didn't your monitor come with a DVI cable?

Roasted
March 29th, 2009, 12:01 AM
I am running dual monitor.

My main is DVI, the other is VGA. Do I notice? Not really. But when you have the ports available, why use anything but the most advanced that you have? After all, if it's just a cable that's keeping you from running DVI, get the darn cable! :P

The white port is DVI.
The blue port is VGA.

DVI = Digital.
VGA = Analog.

gn2
March 29th, 2009, 12:01 AM
Don't bother, it won't make any appreciable difference.

izizzle
March 29th, 2009, 12:30 AM
I don't think you guys are following me :D I know what a DVI port looks like, I just need to know which cable to use. DVI-What to DVI-What?

bsharp
March 29th, 2009, 01:03 AM
I'm pretty sure both sides are the same, just get a DVI cable.

spoons
March 29th, 2009, 01:38 AM
DVI-Male to DVI-Male is what you want.

pwnst*r
March 29th, 2009, 02:38 AM
just make sure to specify which kind of DVI - A, I, or D.

Chemical Imbalance
March 29th, 2009, 02:43 AM
I personally have never noticed any difference between using VGA and DVI on my monitor. Besides, I only have this huge-a** hdmi-to-dvi converter for the back of my mobo that is too clunky. I just use VGA. DVI is obviously the better choice, but I've never noticed any appreciable difference for my usage.

inobe
March 29th, 2009, 03:06 AM
with a blueray player you will notice a huge difference with a vga cable compared to dvi

dvi and hdmi are similar except dvi lacks sound threw the same cable.

meaning' if you have a dvd player you will see no difference

laceration
March 29th, 2009, 04:48 AM
I have a 42 inch monitor. People with smaller monitors sometimes cannot pick up the differences, but on a large monitor it is obvious. DVI is noticably clearer and sharper. Go DVI!

inobe
March 29th, 2009, 05:31 AM
I have a 42 inch monitor. People with smaller monitors sometimes cannot pick up the differences, but on a large monitor it is obvious. DVI is noticably clearer and sharper. Go DVI!

take a 1080p resolution for example' the highest res in media playback !

even worse on a 42 inch monitor, much better displayed on 21.5 inch monitor with flawless results.

darco
March 29th, 2009, 06:24 AM
You need a DVI-D(igital)....a DVI-A(nalog) would be a waste since you would simply use the vga cable you have now.
Dont buy from Bestbuy...they will take you for a ride...buy it online or a small electronic cable store...

darco

inobe
March 29th, 2009, 06:57 AM
You need a DVI-D(igital)....a DVI-A(nalog) would be a waste since you would simply use the vga cable you have now.
Dont buy from Bestbuy...they will take you for a ride...buy it online or a small electronic cable store...

darco

agreed and RCA brand is just as good and bestbuy will take you for a painful ride from your wallet to the cash register !

amazon.com is good' or your local wallmart 20$ u.s.

pwnst*r
March 29th, 2009, 11:07 AM
even worse on a 42 inch monitor, much better displayed on 21.5 inch monitor with flawless results.

lol.

agreed and RCA brand is just as good and bestbuy will take you for a painful ride from your wallet to the cash register !

amazon.com is good' or your local wallmart 20$ u.s.

monoprice.com is your only stop for cables.

mips
March 29th, 2009, 05:32 PM
You need a DVI-I (Dual Link) to DVI-D (Dual Link) cable.

GFX Card->DVI-I--------->DVI-D->Monitor

I suspect a straight DVI-D to DVI-D cable will also work fine seing there is no requirements for the analog signals as the monitor has no input for them on the DVI connector..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface

Pick the correct one from here, http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010010001%20117752965&name=DVI

izizzle
March 29th, 2009, 05:59 PM
You need a DVI-I (Dual Link) to DVI-D (Dual Link) cable.

GFX Card->DVI-I--------->DVI-D->Monitor

I suspect a straight DVI-D to DVI-D cable will also work fine seing there is no requirements for the analog signals as the monitor has no input for them on the DVI connector..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface

Pick the correct one from here, http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010010001%20117752965&name=DVI

Thanks Mips. I have a 22" monitor so i think I will notice a difference.