PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Upgrade or Reinstall when new version arrives?

Jose Catre-Vandis
March 28th, 2009, 10:56 PM
Since my Warty Warthog days, on each new release I have fresh installed and reconfigured.

Now older and lazier, and with Jaunty on its way, I am seriously considering trying the update route as opposed to starting over again.

My reasoning for starting over each time is a "feeling" that an upgrade would not give all the goodies that the new release comes with. Is this view unfounded?

Partyboi2
March 29th, 2009, 12:31 AM
Upgrading will give you all the goodies as if you did a clean install as well as it is the recommended way of upgrading as the upgrade method is more tested.

florus
March 29th, 2009, 12:37 AM
My Hardy Heron has developed some minor problems: Sudoku is broken, and I cannot print pdf files. Will an upgrade repair these problems?

Gramps
March 29th, 2009, 01:13 AM
I seem to have better luck doing a reesh install, that way I know I get all the new files and all the config files are also default. Things for me just seem better to me.

I have done it both ways and I prefer the fresh install.

Partyboi2
March 29th, 2009, 01:16 AM
My Hardy Heron has developed some minor problems: Sudoku is broken, and I cannot print pdf files. Will an upgrade repair these problems?
Maybe, but if its minor then you could just try fixing the problems you are having. :P

florus
March 29th, 2009, 09:38 AM
I have re-installed cups and games using Synaptic, but no effect.:(

Sef
March 29th, 2009, 09:50 AM
My reasoning for starting over each time is a "feeling" that an upgrade would not give all the goodies that the new release comes with. Is this view unfounded?

Both an upgrade and a reinstall give you all the goodies. However, there are differences:

1) A reinstall is recommended because it is less problematic than an upgrade. This is what I prefer to do.

2) A successful upgrade will not require you to install anything. However, a successful upgrade is not guaranteed.

Jose Catre-Vandis
March 29th, 2009, 04:18 PM
2) A successful upgrade will not require you to install anything. However, a successful upgrade is not guaranteed.

That has been my prior experience :)

florus
March 29th, 2009, 09:09 PM
If I understand correctly, a straight reinstall would wipe all my data, so it would make sense to create a new home partition. If I do that, how do I tell Ubuntu where my new home directory is?

Partyboi2
March 30th, 2009, 12:14 PM
After you have created a new /home partition and moved all your data over. (http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/separatehome) you would choose the manual partitioning option when installing and set the mount point for your /home partition as /home but do not tick the box to format. Then set the mount point for the root partition as / and tick the box to format.

florus
March 30th, 2009, 12:19 PM
Thanks, Partyboi2. I have it clear now.:)