PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 8.10 LTSP install with single (onboard) NIC does not configure (or access) NAT

gbarre
March 28th, 2009, 10:51 PM
Hello.

Sorry to disturb you. I have a small (essentially two desktop system) wired network connected through a 4port switch/router. Both systems are on the switch side, with my ISP on the router side. The switch side can be configured to act as DHCP server or not.

When my upgrade to 8.10 ran into problems, I installed 8.10 LTSP using the alternate install CD, retaining only the /home partition. I have tried installing two different ways, running into related problems either way.

When I install with the switch/router switch side DHCP server running, 8.10 installs successfully, and I can access the www, but don't know how to configure the LTSP server to host the other system as a smart terminal.
On the other hand, when I install the system with the switch/router switch side DHCP server disabled, 8.10 installs successfully, and I can configure the system IP address and set the system DHCP server to operate, but can only access as far as my ISP DHCP server via its IP address, and NAT is not configured or accessed. This is the current situation.

How do I tell my system to access NAT and so gain access to the www? Thanks for your help.