PDA

View Full Version : Recent Experiences with Dual Boot

cwarner7_11
March 28th, 2009, 10:32 PM
Having had to reconfigure one of my computers recently due to a virus infection in a Windows partition, I have a few observations on the differences between Linux and Windows. I have been using Ubuntu on my desktop for some time, and use Xubuntu on the laptop, which is the computer under discussion in this missive.

1. Most of my computers are set up as dual-boot systems, with both Linux and Windows. Each time I have been infested with a virus, it has been in the Windows partition. I no longer use Windows for surfing, only Linux. In fact, I only put Windows on line when there is absolutely no alternative (even upgrading anti-virus software, I download the upgrades under Linux and then manually upgrade the Windows system). Had it not been for the dual boot installation, I would have lost some pretty important work, which I was able to salvage from the Windows sector with the Linux system. Linux plays nicely with other systems; Windows doesn't.

2. I wiped both systems off the hard disc, and started with a fresh install of both systems. Interestingly (and I have noticed this with other installations as well), the Linux installation functions properly "out of the box". The Windows installation requires some pretty exotic and esoteric gymnastics to get it to work (i.e., the sound card requires additional drivers under Windows, Linux recognizes it and sets it up automatically. Windows has trouble reading some data CD's, which I can read with another Windows installation, or with the same drive under Windows. Linux automatically detects and sets up the ethernet connection; Windows doesn't want to recognize it).

3. I had the choice of installing Windows 98 SE (my preference) or Windows XP Professional. Since the laptop in question does not provide an RS-232 connection, and Windows 98 SE does not offer full support for some of the USB devices I use, I went with Windows XP (Windows Vista will not work on the laptop in question). Windows XP is noticeably slower than 98 SE when trying to accomplish the same task with the same data.

4. Linux still lacks support for certain critical applications, and my experiments with virtualized Windows under Linux have been less than satisfactory (a major issue here is interfacing to test equipment). Open Office Calculator can not hold a candle to Excel 2000 (I have had less than satisfactory results with Excel 2003, and a preliminary look at Excel 2007 created the impression that it is even less acceptable than 2003). I have yet to find an acceptable CAD program under Linux. I also have not found an acceptable SPICE program (for troubleshooting circuits, not for design) for Linux.

adrianlancer
April 14th, 2009, 06:40 AM
well i think youre having a good experience, actually i have some websites in spanish but fo sure there are alot more in english with similar applications for windows ill put the links below
http://www.linuxrsp.ru/win-lin-soft/index-spanish.html
http://lineupblog.com/2007/08/09/programas-de-windows-equivalentes-en-linux/
if i dont mistake on the first one there are some cad apps.
depending on the use you will give to the app. you may have to change try or read about different apps.

cwarner7_11
April 15th, 2009, 12:46 AM
Actually, there are a number of CAD apps available for Linux. My problem is that none of those I have looked at are adequate for my purposes. I don't need AutoCAD or SolidWorks or anything of that level of complication, but most of what I find available for Linux is of limited utility. What would be really nice would be a port of TurboCAD LE to Linux. I can run TurboCAD LE with VirtualBox, but performance leaves a bit to be desired...
Thanks for the links. My native language is English, my wife's is Spanish. Living in Latin America, when I buy a new computer or software, it is generally packaged in Spanish, and I would prefer English- especially when trying to trouble shoot. One of my Linux boxes I have set up with dual languages- when I log on, it is in English. When the wife logs on, it is in Spanish (everything-menues, help, Open Office, everything...)