PDA

View Full Version : advise in english required

Screwdriver0815
March 28th, 2009, 08:55 PM
Hi Folks

as there are a lot native speakers of english around here I would like to ask for a periphrase for the following words (must be common language)

pushing in the wild

I need it for some translation and I can imagine what it means but I can not formulate it in words so that I can form a nice translated sentence from it.

So please could anyone give me a nice formal sentence in english for that?

Its for Ubuntu by the way (translation of the documentation)

Thank you very much in advance!

tadcan
March 28th, 2009, 09:05 PM
Can you post the sentence that phrase was used in. I can guess what it might mean, but context would really help.

Screwdriver0815
March 28th, 2009, 09:07 PM
here is the sentence

However, pushing in the wild an appliance with a pre-installed OpenSSH server is a big security risk as all these server will share the same secret key, making it very easy for hackers to target our appliance with all the tools they need to crack it open in a breeze.

thanks a lot!

Chemical Imbalance
March 28th, 2009, 09:07 PM
Putting out into the open

tadcan
March 28th, 2009, 09:16 PM
'wild' would refer to the Internet where all the evil hackers live. So pushing its to a place where its vulnerable.

Screwdriver0815
March 28th, 2009, 09:23 PM
when you say putting it out into the open and pushing it to somewhere where it is vulnerable means to me "without security enhancements"

so just to be sure:

if I write that setting up a machine without additional security enhancements is a big security risk... and so on... would this be the same or similar sence of it?

Thank you very much!

PS: maybe I will use this thread for future advises for the translating

Chemical Imbalance
March 28th, 2009, 09:26 PM
Basically, the sentence means connecting the unpatched appliance to the internet is a risky proposition.

lisati
March 28th, 2009, 09:29 PM
Please don't take this then wrong way: when you ADVISE (verb, "doing" word) what you give is ADVICE (noun, "naming" word)

Screwdriver0815
March 28th, 2009, 09:40 PM
Please don't take this then wrong way: when you ADVISE (verb, "doing" word) what you give is ADVICE (noun, "naming" word)

that's right :) during writing I thought the sence is the same but Advice is the american version and advise is the english english, like it is with centre and center... ;)

But as I have to translate english stuff into german, it doesn't matter as long as I understand what it means

Now I have formed a nice sentence out of your Advices. Thanks again

Chemical Imbalance
March 28th, 2009, 09:43 PM
that's right :) during writing I thought the sence is the same but Advice is the american version and advise is the english english, like it is with centre and center... ;)

But as I have to translate english stuff into german, it doesn't matter as long as I understand what it means

Now I have formed a nice sentence out of your Advices. Thanks again

I agree that many Americans use advice in the wrong context, it still isn't correct :)

There is no American/British separate spelling for advice and advise.
Advice is what you give and advising is the action. This is the same for Brits and Yanks

Screwdriver0815
March 28th, 2009, 09:47 PM
I agree that many Americans use advice in the wrong context, it still isn't correct :)

Advice is what you give and advising is the action. This is the same for Brits and Yanks

I know, but I THOUGHT during writing it is like that I have posted above. So it was a mistake, done by me.

The main thing is: we understand each other - right?

PS: to be super-correct: I also have done a mistake in Post #9. If you find it, I'll pay you a beer if we ever shuld meet ;) :D

Chemical Imbalance
March 28th, 2009, 09:48 PM
I know, but I THOUGHT during writing it is like that I have posted above. So it was a mistake, done by me.

The main thing is: we understand each other - right?

Es tut mir leid :)

Alles klar!

pbpersson
March 28th, 2009, 09:48 PM
You know what? I grew up in Illinois where we used English as our primary language all the time and the phrase pushing in the wild is NOT very clear even to me :confused:

You would think that a document written for a global audience would avoid phrases such as those.....but that is just my 2 cents worth.

The translation would be "implementing in an insecure Internet environment"

lisati
March 28th, 2009, 09:49 PM

I live in an area where many languages are spoken (along with English it's mostly Polynesian) and sometimes I hear things that would make my English teachers cringe.

Another pair of words where people sometimes get it wrong is "affect" and "effect", but that's another story.

Screwdriver0815
March 28th, 2009, 09:51 PM
Es tut mir leid :)

Alles klar!

no problem :D I am really thankful about corrections. This is the best way to learn.

cheers

pbpersson
March 28th, 2009, 09:55 PM
Another pair of words where people sometimes get it wrong is "affect" and "effect", but that's another story.

Please tell us all that story. I was just thinking of that. This is one of many areas where Americans have NO idea...myself included.

But hey.....I did not know the difference between a dessert and a desert until I moved to Phoenix. :)

Chemical Imbalance
March 28th, 2009, 09:57 PM
Please tell us all that story. I was just thinking of that. This is one of many areas where Americans have NO idea...myself included.

But hey.....I did not know the difference between a dessert and a desert until I moved to Phoenix. :)

You can affect something to produce an effect.

The weather has affected his mood.
The weather produces an eerie effect.

Screwdriver0815
March 28th, 2009, 09:58 PM
You know what? I grew up in Illinois where we used English as our primary language all the time and the phrase pushing in the wild is NOT very clear even to me :confused:

You would think that a document written for a global audience would avoid phrases such as those.....but that is just my 2 cents worth.

The translation would be "implementing in an insecure Internet environment"

that's really good. I have added this to the tranlation which is now (if you are interested):

first english

Another convenient tool that we want to have on our appliance is OpenSSH, as it will allow our admins to access the appliance remotely. However, pushing in the wild an appliance with a pre-installed OpenSSH server is a big security risk as all these server will share the same secret key, making it very easy for hackers to target our appliance with all the tools they need to crack it open in a breeze. As for the user password, we will instead rely on a script that will install OpenSSH the first time a user logs in so that the key generated will be different for each appliance. For this we'll use a firstboot script, as it does not need any user interaction.

and in german:

Ein weiteres zweckmäßiges Werkzeug, das wir in unserer Maschine einsetzen möchten, ist OpenSSH. Dies wird es unseren Administratoren erlauben, aus der Ferne auf unsere Maschine zuzugreifen. Eine Maschine mit vorinstalliertem OpenSSH ohne zusätzliche Sicherheitsmaßnahmen in einer unsicheren Umgebung zu erstellen ist ein großes Sicherheitsrisiko, da all diese Server die gleichen geheimen Schlüssel verwenden. Dies macht es Angreifern leicht, in unsere Maschine mit allen Werkzeugen die sie benötigen, einzubrechen. Für das Benutzerpasswort werden wir stattdessen auf ein Skript bauen, das von OpenSSH installiert wird, wenn sich ein Benutzer das erste Mal anmeldet. Somit wird der erzeugte Schlüssel für jede Maschine verschieden sein. Wir werden hierfür ein firstboot-Skript benutzen, da es keinerlei Interaktion seitens des Benutzers benötigt.

nice, isn't it? :D

pbpersson
March 28th, 2009, 10:05 PM
You can affect something to produce an effect.

The weather has affected his mood.
The weather produces an eerie effect.

uh-huh
Then we have their and there, here and hear, to, too, and two

You wind your clock while the wind is blowing

There are WAY too many rules to remember and none of them make any sense.

Can we just send this language back to the drawing board?

If this was an OS it NEVER would have been released, it has WAY too many bugs! ;)

Chemical Imbalance
March 28th, 2009, 10:08 PM
Quote:
Another convenient tool that we want to have on our appliance is OpenSSH, as it will allow our admins to access the appliance remotely. However, pushing in the wild an appliance with a pre-installed OpenSSH server is a big security risk as all these server will share the same secret key, making it very easy for hackers to target our appliance with all the tools they need to crack it open in a breeze. As for the user password, we will instead rely on a script that will install OpenSSH the first time a user logs in so that the key generated will be different for each appliance. For this we'll use a firstboot script, as it does not need any user interaction.

-----------
just being picky here

"all these server" should be "all these servers"

I don't want to be rude, but I want your translation to be accurate.

Viel Glück!

pbpersson
March 28th, 2009, 10:12 PM
that's really good. I have added this to the tranlation which is now (if you are interested):

nice, isn't it? :D

I am very impressed with the effort you are putting forth in making certain the translation is accurate, I wish more people did this.

Screwdriver0815
March 28th, 2009, 10:14 PM
Quote:

-----------
just being picky here

"all these server" should be "all these servers"

I don't want to be rude, but I want your translation to be accurate.

Viel Glück!
this is the english original ;) :D I have done the german :D

But I also saw some more mistakes in the english originals of the Ubuntu guys - even me, as a non-native english speaker...

@pbpersson maybe it is also like that because english is the "world-language" and nearly everybody speaks it. So all people around the world "contribute" their mistakes. These affect (this is right in this context) the native speakers too (also right) and so you get this mixture. :)

ice60
March 29th, 2009, 09:21 AM
in the wild just means out on the internet. the opposite is zoo, which means it's safe and locked up - not on the internet. the names are used by people who are in to computer security i.e. viruses in the wild, or malware zoo.