PDA

View Full Version : Finished!

mstlyevil
January 1st, 2006, 08:22 AM
I finally got my new rig built. I started last night and now I am for the most part done building it and installing and configuring Windows/Kubuntu. Here is a list of my specs.

CPU AMD Athlon64 3200
GPU Gigabyte Nvidia Geforce 6600GT
MB DFI Infinity SLI Nvidia Nforce 4 chipset
MEM Patriot PC3200 2x512 CL2 Timings 2-3-2-5
HD WD2500JS 250GB SATA II 8 MB
OPD Liteon DVDR/RW Dual Layer
CS Thermaltake Saprano (Black)
PS Thermaltake 430 Watt (Included with the case)

Now I just have to figure out how to include a screenshot of my desktop. If someone knows how to post screenshots, please give me instructions on how to do it. I have the desktop on Kubuntu pretty slicked up and am very pleased with it. BTW Have A Happy New Year!

DaMasta
January 1st, 2006, 08:27 AM
You can do it in gimp, file acquire screenshot. Or gnome-screenshot (which I doubt you have installed).

xequence
January 1st, 2006, 08:27 AM
PrintScr to take a screenshot of your desktop.

Good job =D I hope to build mine, or get it from a local comp store, sometime.

rjwood
January 1st, 2006, 08:28 AM
I think the beast way is in the art gallery. On this thread I think you would have to do it as a thumbnail or link it fron another site. Congratulations on your computer.

DaMasta
January 1st, 2006, 08:29 AM
I guess if you're talking about hosting it, just attach it.

futz
January 1st, 2006, 08:29 AM
CPU AMD Athlon64 3200
GPU Gigabyte Nvidia Geforce 6600GT
MB DFI Infinity SLI Nvidia Nforce 4 chipset
MEM Patriot PC3200 2x512 CL2 Timings 2-3-2-5
HD WD2500JS 250GB SATA II 8 MB
OPD Liteon DVDR/RW Dual Layer
CS Thermaltake Saprano (Black)
PS Thermaltake 430 Watt (Included with the case)
Schweeeeet!!!

Now I just have to figure out how to include a screenshot of my desktop. If someone knows how to post screenshots, please give me instructions on how to do it.
When you post (in advanced mode, not quick), at the top near center you'll see a blue paper clip thingy (by the happy face). Click on it and it pops up a Manage Attachments window that you use to upload your pic.

Browse to your pic and click the upload button and wait. Make sure your pic is not larger than the sizes listed at the bottom. When it finishes, you'll see a link to your pic just a few lines below. Scroll to the bottom and click Finish.

Now go back to your posting screen and click on the paperclip again. You'll see your pic listed in there. Click on it and it will insert the [attach] tags with a link to your pic inside. Then you can type before and after the link or copy/cut/paste the link anywhere you like in your message.

Nothin to it. :D

mstlyevil
January 1st, 2006, 08:31 AM
I haven't installed Gimp yet so I will probally try it tomorrow. Thanx to everyone so far. It has been a rewarding experience. (As always.) There is almost no greater joy than getting a new rig up and running.

mstlyevil
January 1st, 2006, 08:36 AM
Here it goes then. I had to convert it to a jpeg first.

bonzodog
January 1st, 2006, 03:09 PM
mstlyevil: are you joining us in the 64 bit forum? I hope you are willing to give ubuntu 5.10 64 bit a try. Look forward to seeing you join our little club.
:)

futz
January 1st, 2006, 03:38 PM
mstlyevil: are you joining us in the 64 bit forum? I hope you are willing to give ubuntu 5.10 64 bit a try. Look forward to seeing you join our little club.
:)
I've been tempted to try 64 bit Ubuntu, but I keep hearing horror stories of things not working right. Most recently http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=28635

mstlyevil
January 1st, 2006, 05:09 PM
I might later make a 64 bit partition just to test and play with. I tried 64 bit Ubuntu and was very dissapointed in third party support. Windows XP 64 bit has the same problem and that was also dissapointing. I just don't understand why all these third party vendors and spftware companies did not get onboard sooner. These people had a two year lead time to develop drivers and software.
I figure by the time Vista comes out there will be plenty of third party support to justify moving to a 64 bit platform. I also could never get 64 Bit breezy to adjust my resolution properly. That bug may be fixed now, but it was a real eye sore.