PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] different wallpapers compiz wall

rick71
March 28th, 2009, 07:07 PM
Does anyone know if it is possible to have different wallpapers on each wall workspace in Compiz.

MarcusA
March 28th, 2009, 07:34 PM
http://anuragbansal.wordpress.com/2008/05/10/how-to-get-different-wallpapers-on-each-workspace-in-ubuntu/

You'll lose your desktop icons though.

rick71
March 28th, 2009, 07:59 PM
Those are directions to put different wallpapers on cube faces, not the wall. Do they work for the wall, too?

MarcusA
March 28th, 2009, 08:02 PM
Ah uhm, well maybe I just don't understand you :p

You mean this right?

http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/3397/aa1c.png

rick71
March 28th, 2009, 08:04 PM
I just tried... adding wallpapers to the cube doesn't seem to work on the wall.

MarcusA
March 28th, 2009, 08:06 PM
Try going in compiz to "utility" --> wallpaper and add a few there

rick71
March 28th, 2009, 08:13 PM
I don't have wallpaper in utility.

MarcusA
March 28th, 2009, 08:19 PM
I didn't have Desktop Cube >Appearance > Background images, but instead I had to go to utility --> wallpaper, maybe because we have different versions, have you followed all the steps in the link I gave?

Also if the screenshot I showed you isn't what you mean you should just ignore me :D

rick71
March 28th, 2009, 08:25 PM
I don't know if this is relevant, but I running Hardy under VMWare. No desktops can be started. However, Compiz Fusion Icon says that Compiz is the Window Manager, and I set Control Right/Control Left to move through the wall, which works.

MarcusA
March 28th, 2009, 08:39 PM
Well it seems that you can't have different wallpapers with the desktop wall :p you mind disabling desktop wall and use desktop cube instead?

rick71
March 28th, 2009, 10:22 PM
I don't think I can run the cube in my VM.

malfindin
March 29th, 2009, 12:05 AM
Hi all. Here's a screen shots of my config:

http://ubuntuforums.org/album.php?albumid=997

To do this requires:

1. Compiz Fusion Settings manager, which can be installed through Synaptic, The Compiz Icon is nice to get as well. Just put in compiz and search.

2. No virtual machines to my knowledge work with desktops effects, accept for the ones in Kubuntu 8.04 KDE 3.5. In fact I have a special installation of Kubuntu on USB thumb-drive that I carry on my key chain. Boots in 1 min on nearly anybody's sys with desktop effects and 8 different wallpapers on 8 different desktops. If anyone knows different I'd love to see your posts.

3. Upload the desktops in the order you want into Compiz under the Wallpaper tab.

4. MOve everythig off your desktop it will no loger be displayed by nautilus.

5. Right click on your appicaltion menu and click on edit menu, enable "Configuration Editor" Download this through synaptic if you don't see it.

6. OK here we go---browse to /apps/nautilus/preferances and uncheck show_desktop. I advise bookmarking it before you do this. It's hard to find.

Optionally you can download and install a program called Wallpoz if you just want your desktops to switch when you go to a new one. This also allows you to use directories as slide shows, but it's not easy to install. Don't attempt any of this if you are a newbie.

Is it worth it???--why yes. You'll be the envy of any silly windows user.

Oh and try running Windows in Linux VirtualBox instead of Linux in Windows VMware. It actually runs faster than it would installed...go figure. Or better yet, just stop using Windows for anything. I have found that with a little effort, there is nothing windows can do that Ubuntu can't do better, faster and cheaper. I started out with Ubuntu in Vbox too, so don't think I'm harping. We all started somewhere.

rick71
March 29th, 2009, 02:02 AM
1. I have both.

2. At the moment, I run several Linux based VMs in PCLinuxOS.

3. I can't find a Wallpaper tab anywhere. I have designated wallpapers in the Cube.

4/5/6. Done.

Is have the different wallpapers worth it? Yes. I have had them for about 10 years starting when I used FVWM under LinuxPPC. It's really annoyning that the Gnome Foundation has dumbed down Gnome to such an extent.

malfindin
March 29th, 2009, 02:31 AM
You may know something I don't know: What are "designated wallpapers in the Cube."?

And here's a screen shot of the tab in compiz. tab might be the wrong name.

And the final result. Let me know more what you mean by dumbed down. I'm new to Gnome.

FK

rick71
March 29th, 2009, 04:48 AM
You may know something I don't know: What are "designated wallpapers in the Cube."?

And here's a screen shot of the tab in compiz. tab might be the wrong name.

And the final result. Let me know more what you mean by dumbed down. I'm new to Gnome.

FK

"designated wallpapers" - the Cube face backgrounds. And, as I said, in my version of Compiz (I am running a fully updated Hardy", there is no wallpaper tab in Windows utility.

As for dumbed down ...
Back in the day.. you could have different wallpapers on different workspaces in Gnome, in the default window manager. Nautilus did not draw the desktop. It was much easier to change the Gnome window manager. Gnome used to be much easier to customize. You can't even click on the desktop to bring up menus.

OTOH - KDE is going through it's "big advance" now, and some of its the features it has seems to have disappeared.

malfindin
March 29th, 2009, 09:47 AM
Thanks for the info on Gnome and KDE I had noticed that 4.2 was less polished than 3.5, but was sure why. Here a screen shot of all the compiz related installs I have hope this helps. I'd say we can close this thread, unless someone else has something to add.

FK