PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7

WatchingThePain
March 28th, 2009, 05:29 PM
Well as usual another release of Winbloze.
I have been trying to do wordplay on it.
VIENNA: Virus In Effect Not Nice Anyway. ?
That's a start.

SunnyRabbiera
March 28th, 2009, 05:33 PM
For win7 they better take their time, focus on stabilizing and securing win7

cardinals_fan
March 28th, 2009, 05:36 PM
That's a start.
Oh, the hilarity.

Giant Speck
March 28th, 2009, 05:37 PM
Oh, the hilarity.

Oh, the sarcasm. ;)

MaxCarnage
March 28th, 2009, 05:38 PM
I find just browsing files on it to be tedious. I use the Quick Launch extensively at work on XP because it's the closest thing to the quick and easy menus in GNOME, and it's gone in Windows 7 (at least I can't find a way to recreate it; currently there's a very locked-down type of Quick Launch).

I read a lot of hype about Windows 7 and how great it was before I installed my beta copy, and frankly I think that people were still so shell-shocked by Vista that almost anything was going to seem awesome in comparison. As someone who basically skipped Vista aside from a few seconds of using it on a few laptops before reloading them with some flavor of Linux, Windows 7 is not that great and is certainly not for me.

SunnyRabbiera
March 28th, 2009, 05:47 PM
Win7 is still in beta, all the benchmarks that people said with win7 booting faster then linux will cease and win7 will be just as bloated as vista was.
But maybe this time stability will come into play, I know many who had issues with aero and stuff like that.

MaxCarnage
March 28th, 2009, 05:54 PM
Win7 is still in beta, all the benchmarks that people said with win7 booting faster then linux will cease and win7 will be just as bloated as vista was.
But maybe this time stability will come into play, I know many who had issues with aero and stuff like that.

Maybe it's because I have it installed in VirtualBox, but I don't see how anyone could say it boots up faster than Linux. Yes, from the point at which the desktop first appears to when you can actually start using it it's faster than XP and Vista, but Linux? At least GNOME is faster; KDE it might be race, I haven't used it as much. But the entire boot-up process for Win7 seems to take forever. I usually start it booting and then go to another desktop and surf Digg or something before coming back to it.

SunnyRabbiera
March 28th, 2009, 06:00 PM
Yeh the benchmarks are not based on VBox installs.

MikeTheC
March 28th, 2009, 06:17 PM
That's a start.

Guess this shows how little I pay attention to anything Microsoft. I didn't even know it was called "Vienna".

Alright, so... acronyms that are memorable, right? Hmm...

Vista
Is
Evaporating
Near
North
America

Vista
Is
Expanding.
No,
No...
Adapting!

Virtual
Ignorance
Encapsulates
Networked
North
America

Screwdriver0815
March 28th, 2009, 06:21 PM
how is it with Windows 7, do you still have to click into the window where you want to scroll?
This always annoys me like hell... you have the calculator (or some other small apps) open and want to scroll inside a wordsheet... so you have to click into the wordsheet and with this the calculator (for example) is away in the taskbar and you have to get it back, just to repeat this, when you want to scroll... again and again...

in Linux generally will be scrolled where the mousepointer is. Its a small thing, but this makes an OS useful...

Are there now multiple desks? Or has the paying customer still to install aftermarked stuff for that, which crashes the whole system when used with Excel?

But I think its still the same with Winblows 7 as it was with 3.1, 95, 98 and Xp... no progress.

Sealbhach
March 28th, 2009, 06:41 PM
I found this piece about the netbook strategy interesting:

http://www.goodbyemicrosoft.net/news.php?item.429.3

SunnyRabbiera
March 28th, 2009, 06:44 PM
That is why the netbook market will belong to linux

forcecore
March 28th, 2009, 06:48 PM
it still includes that horror Software Licencing Service terror and if i remove then i cannot access to control panels and explorer is blank white window.

DRM = bomb (http://www.oregon.gov/OSP/AES/images/Bomb_Squad/IEDS/pipe_bomb.jpeg)

Icehuck
March 28th, 2009, 06:49 PM
I found this piece about the netbook strategy interesting:

http://www.goodbyemicrosoft.net/news.php?item.429.3

That version of Windows was around XP and Vista. It's for emerging markets, or countries that are starting to be technologically developed.