PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] New NVDIA card install question

Gatch
March 28th, 2009, 04:56 PM
I'm running a Heron machine with an onboard Realtek card. The question is: Anything I need to look out for before the install? Driver issues, etc? It is listed in the binary driver list.

I plan to run TwinView with s-video adapter to a crt tv to watch Hulu, streaming, etc. (I know, I'm cheap. I'm a teacher)

My machine has been running flawlessly since FF. This is my first post, so although I've been around Ubuntu for a while I'm still a newb.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Gatch

norwoods
March 28th, 2009, 08:51 PM
there will be newer nvidia drivers that are not in the heron repository but if you are happy with what is available, that is not a problem.
run gksu nvidia-settings in a terminal window to get the gui for twinview setup.

Gatch
April 10th, 2009, 02:50 AM
run gksu nvidia-settings in a terminal window to get the gui for twinview setup.

I've installed the driver for the card. But nothing happens when I try to activate the settings. I can activate it in the "hardware driver" section.

The installation guide mentioned it may not work if you manually installed a previous driver. I did that with the Realtek. Could this be the problem?

The guide suggests removing the old driver, but I'm not sure how to do that.

Any ideas?

Gatch
April 10th, 2009, 05:12 AM
I was able to fix it using this thread.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=780425&highlight=low+screen+resolution&page=2

Apparently there is an issue with the GeForce 6200 card that I bought. But everything is working great now, thanks to the Forum! :p