PDA

View Full Version : USB Ubuntu

oasmar1
March 28th, 2009, 04:22 PM
Hello, I just want to ask whether the following is possible, I want to create a Live USB ubuntu which allows installation of programs, saving settings etc. so that it can do everything a full install can do, but I want it to be on USB and I want it to work on a large variaty of hardware similar to a LiveUSB.
My USB stick is 16Gb.

TheLions
March 28th, 2009, 04:24 PM
you can do that with

sudo apt-get install usb-creator

FuturePilot
March 28th, 2009, 04:25 PM
The USB creator should do what you want to do. It's included on Ubuntu 8.10 and above. You can find it under the System>Administration menu.

oasmar1
March 28th, 2009, 04:27 PM
Is it possible to do it without using Ubuntu, I only have access to Windows Vista, my Ubuntu machine recently blew it's PSU? I have tried unetbootin but it doesn't seem to save any settings (keyring, appearance..).
Infact would it be possible to use my current Live USB to install to my new USB stick?

FuturePilot
March 28th, 2009, 04:30 PM
Is it possible to do it without using Ubuntu, I only have access to Windows Vista, my Ubuntu machine recently blew it's PSU? I have tried unetbootin but it doesn't seem to save any settings (keyring, appearance..).
Infact would it be possible to use my current Live USB to install to my new USB stick?

You don't need to have Ubuntu installed to use the USB creator. You can use it right from the Live CD.

Yownanymous
March 28th, 2009, 05:31 PM

Ah, to do it in Vista, follow the instructions on this page, note that you have to have the ISO in the same folder and rename it OS.ISO.

http://hacktolive.org/wiki/Cd2usb

Any more problems, do post them up.

MaxCarnage
March 28th, 2009, 05:45 PM
I keep meaning to try this out, but I am not cool and don't have any USB keys. Is that odd?

Yownanymous
March 28th, 2009, 06:21 PM
I keep meaning to try this out, but I am not cool and don't have any USB keys. Is that odd?

Not really, until recently I didn't have any USB keys (that weren't MP3 players anyway :P)