PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ubuntu on memory card

Ginoxy
March 28th, 2009, 02:07 PM
hello,
can i install ubuntu on my asus notebook but in an SD memory card instead of the HD?

snowpine
March 28th, 2009, 02:19 PM
Yes. Ubuntu doesn't really care what kind of drive it's on. :) Installing to an SD card is a great way to test out new distros, in my opinion. The only danger you want to watch out for is to make sure you install the Grub bootloader on your SD card instead of the internal SDD/hard drive. When you get to the last step of the installer, click Advanced Options, and verify that Grub will be installed to the correct device (/dev/sdb for example). Other than that, it's just like the normal install process.

Ginoxy
March 28th, 2009, 02:21 PM
this is great !!!
thanks a lot !

ugm6hr
March 28th, 2009, 02:23 PM
If using an SD card, I would avoid creating a swap partition.

SD cards have a finite number of write cycles, so a swap partition will shorten the SD card lifespan.

Else, consider creating a swap partition on the internal HD.

Ginoxy
March 28th, 2009, 02:23 PM
one more question please
is it also possible to download wubi to it ??

Ginoxy
March 28th, 2009, 02:24 PM
If using an SD card, I would avoid creating a swap partition.

SD cards have a finite number of write cycles, so a swap partition will shorten the SD card lifespan.

Else, consider creating a swap partition on the internal HD.

what do you mean ?

Lisa Y
March 28th, 2009, 02:28 PM
Hello there,

Of course you can install Ubuntu to your SD card.

First we will need to determine the device name of the partition. Unmount and remove the card. Open a terminal, type

sudo blkid

Now insert a card, wait until the icon appears on the desktop and again re-issue that same command

Your SD card should look something like this /dev/sd##. For example /dev/sdc1. BUT ITS DEFFINTILY /dev/sda1 (lol)

To check the file system, you have to unmount it: you can not check a filesystem when it is in use. You can right-click the icon to unmount, or unmount directly from the terminal:

sudo umount /dev/sdc1
sudo fsck /dev/sdc1

the second command is used to check sdc1

Ginoxy
March 28th, 2009, 02:33 PM
Hello there,

Of course you can install Ubuntu to your SD card.

First we will need to determine the device name of the partition. Unmount and remove the card. Open a terminal, type

sudo blkid

Now insert a card, wait until the icon appears on the desktop and again re-issue that same command

Your SD card should look something like this /dev/sd##. For example /dev/sdc1. BUT ITS DEFFINTILY /dev/sda1 (lol)

To check the file system, you have to unmount it: you can not check a filesystem when it is in use. You can right-click the icon to unmount, or unmount directly from the terminal:

sudo umount /dev/sdc1
sudo fsck /dev/sdc1

the second command is used to check sdc1

this should be from the live CD menue ? or from where ?

snowpine
March 28th, 2009, 02:36 PM
what do you mean ?

A default install of Ubuntu creates a "swap partition," which is kind of like virtual memory. If your ram fills up, the swap partition is like extra ram on the disk.

If you don't want a swap partition, you will have to choose Manual Partition during the install process. Ubuntu will run just fine without a swap partition, as long as you have enough ram for your needs (I recommend 512mb minimum).

SD cards (and other flash media like USB thumb drives) theoretically have a maximum number of write cycles before they wear out. If you use a swap partition, your SD card will wear out quicker. You will have to decide whether you're willing to take that risk or not. Personally, I don't care whether my SD card wears out in, say, 5 years instead of 10, since I only paid $9. :)

Ginoxy
March 28th, 2009, 02:58 PM
i just need to get it right before starting to fo anything.

now i need to download ubunut (done)
second, since i dont have cd rom coz its a notebook that does not has a cd rom , i need to copy the whole ubunut to my sd card right ?

ugm6hr
March 28th, 2009, 03:03 PM
You need a PC (with CD drive) to create a LiveUSB (1GB+ USB stick) from the CD, which then needs to be used to install on to the SD card on the netbook.

You could use a LiveSD instead of a LiveUSB, provided you have 2 SD card slots on the netbook.

Ginoxy
March 29th, 2009, 06:29 AM
how about this software
http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

can i use for such thing ?

i think i can load ubuntu to a USB flash drive then boot from it and then install it to SD MC right ?

ugm6hr
March 29th, 2009, 08:03 AM
how about this software
http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

can i use for such thing ?

i think i can load ubuntu to a USB flash drive then boot from it and then install it to SD MC right ?

Yes. Exactly right. I have done this many times (although installing on to HD).

Ginoxy
March 29th, 2009, 08:17 AM
Great !
what about the GRUB thing ? how can i install it on SD not to my HD ?

ugm6hr
March 29th, 2009, 08:55 AM
Great !
what about the GRUB thing ? how can i install it on SD not to my HD ?

From memory, the Ubuntu installer allows you to specify a GRUB location in the traditional Linux nomenclature.

Linux = sda, sdb etc (or hda, hdb)
Grub = hd0, hd1 etc

When booted from the LiveUSB, with HD, SD and USB all plugged in, go to the Terminal and enter:

fdisk -l

This will list all the connected "hard drives" i.e. SD, USB and HD. Work out which is the SD, and remember its name (e.g. sdb).

When installing Ubuntu, just before the "Install" (at step 7), select the Advnaced button (see screenshot, courtesy http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/dualboot ). This should give you options as to where to install Grub. Pick the right one!!!!!

I would recommend a backup before installing any new OS.

Ginoxy
March 29th, 2009, 09:24 AM
This is cool !!
Thanks a lot :KS

Ginoxy
April 10th, 2009, 05:25 PM
hi again
is it as for the grub if i installed it into the SD memory card as well as the OS it self is it ok?

ugm6hr
April 10th, 2009, 06:05 PM
hi again
is it as for the grub if i installed it into the SD memory card as well as the OS it self is it ok?

I think you are asking if Grub and Ubuntu can exist on the same SD card.

The answer is yes.

Ginoxy
April 10th, 2009, 06:36 PM
great ! so if the SD is not attached to the notebook it will boot to windows normally ! wont affecting it ?

wubrgamer
April 10th, 2009, 07:02 PM
great ! so if the SD is not attached to the notebook it will boot to windows normally ! wont affecting it ?

Assuming that you have left the internal disk untouched and leave the BIOS to boot from the internal disk, then yes. It will boot from the original operating system. (Windows :icon_frown:)

Ginoxy
April 24th, 2009, 06:36 AM
now im facing a problem

when i reach step 3 and going to step 4 another small box appear asking me the following :
unmount partitions that are in use?

/dev/sdb, /dev/sdc

when i click forward i got only /dev/sdb left to unmount (which is USB) that im currently use as liveUSB

now when i click "go back"

it goes to step 4 (prepare disk space)

i have these options

1- use entire disk
2- install them side by side choosing between them each startup
3-specify partitions manually (advanced)

when i click on "3" it scanning disks

and then gives me /dev/sdc (memody card)

now what to do ?

by the way the type of the memory card is fat32

Ginoxy
April 25th, 2009, 09:18 AM
any idea guys ?