PDA

View Full Version : Got a computer for free.

Newuser1111
March 28th, 2009, 09:30 AM
I got a Packard Bell from my neighbors for free.
On the front it says Packard Bell Legend 408CD

What should I do with it?
Reinstall 95, install 98, install Linux, or something else?

Problems:
I think the CD drive is broken.
Windows 95 is slow.
No USB ports.(Is that a problem?)

I was going to take a picture of it, but here's a video instead:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-M6ILJyq-o
(They didn't give me a monitor, so I had to use one that I already had.)

tom66
March 28th, 2009, 09:40 AM
What's the spec? If you're lucky you might be able to get Damn Small Linux on there and use it as a spare PC.

No USB, however, limits connection opportunities to the Internet...

Giant Speck
March 28th, 2009, 10:17 AM
Wow. A Packard Bell? That thing must be ancient!

:lolflag:

3rdalbum
March 28th, 2009, 11:36 AM
I have a suggestion of what to do with that computer, but it involves a dumpster :-P

If it's got a network card and if you can connect a CD drive temporarily, you could put NetBSD onto that machine and use it as a server. You'd need an IDE hard disk as well to store your files, but make sure you boot off the normal internal hard disk or from CD.

billgoldberg
March 28th, 2009, 11:42 AM
Turn it into a server.

Besides Linux, your only other real option is some bsd distro.

Swagman
March 28th, 2009, 11:57 AM
Packard Hell

What to do with it ?

Doorstop ?

Pouffe?

init1
March 28th, 2009, 02:38 PM
You might be able to install by putting the hard drive into another computer. You could also take the CD drive out of a different computer, install an OS, and then put it back. I'd probably install FreeDOS and use it to play DOOM.

sydbat
March 28th, 2009, 03:29 PM
I'd go with the landfill option*. Have a friend who got a similar box from someone and it is basically useless. HDD was less that 700MB (that's right MB), only had 32MB RAM, etc. Garbage.

*By landfill I mean find an electronics recycler.

Old_Grey_Wolf
March 28th, 2009, 03:48 PM
I looked up the specs. Unless it has been upgraded it has:

75 Mhz processor
8 MB RAM
1 GB Hard Disk

Edit: Spec sheet was too large to attach.

Swagman
March 28th, 2009, 03:53 PM
I looked up the specs. Unsless it has been upgraded it has:

75 Mhz processor
8 MB RAM
1 GB Hard Disk

/Zachary Smith

"Oh the pain...the pain"

gletob
March 28th, 2009, 04:06 PM
Wow. A Packard Bell? That thing must be ancient!

You know there is still a packard bell company that sells computers.

I hope you can put linux on it.

Giant Speck
March 28th, 2009, 04:11 PM
You know there is still a packard bell company that sells computers.

:shock:

I haven't seen a Packard Bell in so long that I just assumed they no longer existed.

Skripka
March 28th, 2009, 04:15 PM

75 Mhz processor
8 MB RAM
1 GB Hard Disk

Niether Ubuntu nor Arch would run on that.

Kareeser
March 28th, 2009, 04:25 PM
Agreed. It's WAY too old to do anything without a serious overhaul of its parts :(

The farthest I've gone is Ubuntu server on an AMD K6, but those run at about 266 MHz!

I-75
March 28th, 2009, 04:58 PM
Some people use those old machines to run old Windows games on. You could use it for that purpose. Old windows games are cheap on E-bay and found frequently at flea markets and swap meets.

dragos240
March 28th, 2009, 05:11 PM
If you have time, try a LFS (Linux from scratch), you could make it very very simple and perhaps have a simple bash shell with maybe three tty consoles, that might work...

Newuser1111
March 28th, 2009, 06:23 PM
Some people use those old machines to run old Windows games on. You could use it for that purpose. Old windows games are cheap on E-bay and found frequently at flea markets and swap meets.I already have games for 95/98.

75 Mhz processor
8 MB RAM
1 GB Hard Disk
It is 75 Mhz
The BIOS says that the memory is:
Base Memory 640 KB
Extended Memory 7168 KB

The specs in the manual says:

High performance 486 desktop computer
4 MB of RAM onboard standard, expandable to 64 MB on the motherboard
8 KB internal cache standard; optional external cache upgradeable to 128 or 512 KB
Extended VGA Controller CL-GD5428 supports 1280x1024x16 colors, as well as 16.8 million colors in 640x480 resolution mode, with 1 MB video memory (standard); 1280x1024x256 colors with upgrade to 2 MB video memory
Local Bus Windows Accelerator Video Controller for improved VGA and Windows performance
I'm not going to type the rest of it unless anyone wants me to.

cardinals_fan
March 28th, 2009, 06:25 PM
Try BasicLinux on it.

Old_Grey_Wolf
March 28th, 2009, 06:26 PM
Problems:
Windows 95 is slow.

The CD may not be broken. We didn't have 700 MB CDs back then, they were 650 MB I think. Also, those things could not use RW CDs. They could only use R.

Even if it had a USB port, the BIOS wouldn't let you boot from the USB.

Newuser1111
March 28th, 2009, 06:32 PM
Try BasicLinux on it.1.I don't have any floppies
2.Windows 95 detects the CD drive but it isn't in My Computer.

The CD may not be broken. We didn't have 700 MB CDs back then, they were 650 MB I think. Also, those things could not use RW CDs. They could only use R.

Even if it had a UBS port, the BIOS wouldn't let you boot from the USB.I already put in a CD drive I wasn't using, and now the "broken" one opens when I press the button on it.

scratman
March 28th, 2009, 06:34 PM
TO be honest, you'd struggle to offload that to a charity! If it works, you could try to install a linux distro ob it, but why bother? It won't run any games, it can't probably get onto the Internet, and if it can, isn't fast enough to utilise broadband speeds! The HDD is tiny! Seriously, you can get SD cards for your camera 20x the size. The only thing I can think of is to see if there's a working ethernet port on the motherboard. If so, you might be able to use it as a jukebox, streaming the music using something like VLC from your main machine. Apart from that, it's probably best being dropped off at your local electronics recycling point, or Ebay...

lykwydchykyn
March 28th, 2009, 06:38 PM
Time to play with minix?
Or use it as an LTSP client. Will the NIC pxe-boot?

Old_Grey_Wolf
March 28th, 2009, 06:46 PM
It is 75 Mhz
The BIOS says that the memory is:
Base Memory 640 KB
Extended Memory 7168 KB

640KB + 7168KB or about 8MB.

After watching the video in your first post, I realized I bought one of those when they were new, 1995/96 if my memory isn't failing me again. It was call a Multimedia PC at the time. Very noisy by todays standards, as you could hear the fan constantly. It had the Packard Bell Navigator that was a so called "virtual workplace", hehe. It's a classic, like a vintage car.

eragon100
March 28th, 2009, 06:50 PM
640KB + 7168KB or about 8MB.

After watching the video in your first post, I realized I bought one of those when they were new, 1975/76 if my memory isn't failing me again. It was call a Multimedia PC at the time. Very noisy by todays standards, as you could hear the fan constantly. It had the Packard Bell Navigator that was a so called "virtual workplace", hehe. It's a classic, like a vintage car.

1975?? 75 MHZ 486 processor? nope...

Old_Grey_Wolf
March 28th, 2009, 06:54 PM
1975?? 75 MHZ 486 processor? nope...

It was the second Intel Pentium processor. The first Pentium was 60 MHz.

And I corrected 197x to 199x. :oops: When you have lived as long as I have what difference does a few decades make. :P

Newuser1111
March 28th, 2009, 07:10 PM
Time to play with minix?
Or use it as an LTSP client. Will the NIC pxe-boot?Was I supposed to download IDE-3.1.2a.iso.zip?

EDIT:
Is the light on the floppy drive supposed to always be on?(except when the computer is off)

Kareeser
March 28th, 2009, 07:13 PM
You could donate it to the PC museum...

Old_Grey_Wolf
March 28th, 2009, 07:21 PM
EDIT:
Is the light on the floppy drive supposed to always be on?(except when the computer is off)

Do you really expect a reply to a question about an antique by technology standards?

michaelzap
March 28th, 2009, 07:36 PM
Step 1: Investigate what if anything you could actually do with this machine (you've heard some options in the replies here)

Step 2: Evaluate whether you actually want/need to do any of these things and couldn't do them with your existing hardware (if you have any), or if this is just a personal challenge for no particular reason

Step 3: Calculate the cost of the electricity you'll use and if you value your time add something to cover your labor

Step 4: Find out what is the best eWaste disposal option in your area...

Old_Grey_Wolf
March 28th, 2009, 07:42 PM
Step 1: Investigate what if anything you could actually do with this machine (you've heard some options in the replies here)

Step 2: Evaluate whether you actually want/need to do any of these things and couldn't do them with your existing hardware (if you have any), or if this is just a personal challenge for no particular reason

Step 3: Calculate the cost of the electricity you'll use and if you value your time add something to cover your labor

Step 4: Find out what is the best eWaste disposal option in your area...

+1

I personally think the cost of powering the thing is greater than any benefit it could provide.

Newuser1111
March 28th, 2009, 08:02 PM
Would it work as a server? Or is it too slow?

michaelzap
March 28th, 2009, 08:11 PM
Would it work as a server? Or is it too slow?

"Work" is a relative term. You could use a very old or super streamlined OS on this machine, and you could probably serve files or media or perhaps use it as a networking server on your LAN. But it will be extremely limited and yes slow as well, and you will be expending a whole lot of time and electricity to make this machine do what even an old NAS, router, or mp3 player could do effortlessly and using a lot less power.

It's unfortunate when you consider all of the effort and raw materials that went into building and transporting this now-obsolete device, but I don't see how you can do anything useful with it anymore.

Uruz2012
March 28th, 2009, 08:23 PM
You could always gut it and do a case mod or something.

jenkinbr
March 28th, 2009, 08:39 PM
The specs in the manual says:

High performance 486 desktop computer
4 MB of RAM onboard standard, expandable to 64 MB on the motherboard
8 KB internal cache standard; optional external cache upgradeable to 128 or 512 KB
Extended VGA Controller CL-GD5428 supports 1280x1024x16 colors, as well as 16.8 million colors in 640x480 resolution mode, with 1 MB video memory (standard); 1280x1024x256 colors with upgrade to 2 MB video memory
Local Bus Windows Accelerator Video Controller for improved VGA and Windows performance
I'm not going to type the rest of it unless anyone wants me to.

High Performance FTW!!!

(That's one reason those terms shouldn't appear in User Manuals, pruduct descriptions, etc...

To be honest, I have a 500Mhz box that sits around because I have nothing to do with it that would justify the Electricity expenses to run it.

I like the case-mod idea...

Skripka
March 28th, 2009, 10:16 PM
It was the second Intel Pentium processor. The first Pentium was 60 MHz.

And I corrected 197x to 199x. :oops: When you have lived as long as I have what difference does a few decades make. :P

Ah the good old 1st gen Pentiums...that used 5 whole Volts-and could be used to make coffee in the morning.

Cope57
March 28th, 2009, 10:28 PM
Firewall / Foot warmer.

K.Mandla
March 28th, 2009, 11:15 PM
Put Linux on it. Use it.

http://kmandla.wordpress.com/2008/11/24/success-icewm-1236-and-xorg-73-at-100mhz16mb/

markp1989
March 28th, 2009, 11:30 PM
use it as a foot rest, im using an old computer shell as for that right now. they are always the perfect size for me to use :D

of course this only works if its a verticle tower rather then a horizontal pc.

Newuser1111
March 29th, 2009, 12:17 AM
Put Linux on it. Use it.

http://kmandla.wordpress.com/2008/11/24/success-icewm-1236-and-xorg-73-at-100mhz16mb/But it only has 8MB memory.
And the processor is only 75Mhz.

Right now it's on the Windows 95 setup, because Minix formatted the harddrive and failed to install(I guess, or I didn't know what it was doing.)

EDIT:
Now that Windows 95 has been reinstalled, it's not slow anymore.

jacob01
March 29th, 2009, 03:28 AM
that will be tough to find a use thats actually practical, sorry to say.

Kareeser
March 29th, 2009, 03:39 AM
If the floppy light is continuously on, you've reversed the floppy drive plug to the motherboard.

K.Mandla
March 29th, 2009, 08:29 AM
But it only has 8MB memory.

Right now it's on the Windows 95 setup, because Minix formatted the harddrive and failed to install(I guess, or I didn't know what it was doing.)

EDIT:
I give Win95 that much: It's quick. Ugly, but quick.

You don't have to have a completely graphical desktop for it to be "useful." Here are some ideas for what to do with it:

http://kmandla.wordpress.com/2007/09/14/things-to-do-with-an-old-computer/
http://kmandla.wordpress.com/2007/03/16/ten-things-you-can-do-keep-an-old-computer-useful/

Some good reasons not to just throw it away.

http://kmandla.wordpress.com/2008/10/28/ten-reasons-not-to-buy-a-new-computer/

Making it useful without graphical applications.

http://kmandla.wordpress.com/2009/03/24/screen-and-dvtm-and-screen-and-dvtm-and/

Software you can use without X, and probably run at under 75Mhz without too much sweat.

http://kmandla.wordpress.com/software#Terminal

Ubuntu on a 75Mhz machine (albeit with scads more memory than yours).

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=294292

I apologize if it seems like I'm advertising for my blog. I live and die by old machines. They have a lot more potential than people give them credit for ... even Linux users.

that will be tough to find a use thats actually practical, sorry to say.
Ahem. 8-[

If the floppy light is continuously on, you've reversed the floppy drive plug to the motherboard.
This is true. I should have thought of that first. #-o

Newuser1111
March 29th, 2009, 01:07 PM
If the floppy light is continuously on, you've reversed the floppy drive plug to the motherboard.Should I fix that or can I just leave it like that?

t0p
March 29th, 2009, 01:26 PM
Should I fix that or can I just leave it like that?

In my opinion it's better to fix faults than to just leave them faulty. What if you want to use a floppy?

And if it's just a question of unreversing something, I can't believe you actually had to ask this question.

brainac0cult
March 29th, 2009, 01:35 PM
try ms-dos with windows 3.1!

d3drocks
March 29th, 2009, 01:53 PM
You might be able to install by putting the hard drive into another computer. You could also take the CD drive out of a different computer, install an OS, and then put it back. I'd probably install FreeDOS and use it to play DOOM.

omg agree!!!!
same with duke nukem 3D.
that was the shyte!

Newuser1111
March 29th, 2009, 08:36 PM
I put in a 10GB Fujitsu hard drive, but why isn't it working?
And why won't Linux install onto the 1GB Maxtor?

When the Fujitsu drive is set to master it just gets stuck on this:

AMIBIOS (C)1992 American Megatrends, Inc.
BIOS Version 1.00.05.BY0R

0008192 KB

Entering Setup - Please Wait...

Keyboard.....Detected
Mouse........Detected

Processor Speed.....75 MHz

CD-ROM Drive Installed HL-DT-ST GCE-8525B

bakedbeans4life
March 29th, 2009, 10:25 PM

When the Fujitsu drive is set to master it just gets stuck on this:

0008192 KB

Entering Setup - Please Wait...

Keyboard.....Detected
Mouse........Detected

The early motherboard BIOS would not recognise much beyond a 500MB hard drives, that was their ultimate limitation (I had a similar problem trying to make a 386 recognise a 850MB drive). The manufacturer of the drive (Seagate, if memory serves) provided a drive overlay that fooled the BIOS into accepting the higher capacity, even though when the computer booted it still gave an error message that it did not know the drive geometry. You pressed a function key and everything worked as normal. If you Google I'm sure there is an explanation as to exactly how this worked.

I know when I connected a 160GB hard drive to a computer with a KT133 chipset (AMD Athlon), the computer failed to recognise it. Again this was down to BIOS limitation, nothing much beyond 120GB would work. Interestingly enough Linux did see the full drive capacity, so it overcame the BIOS imposed capacity problem. Linux is flexible that way.

As to your own situation, unless you can get parts to upgrade this antique for nothing, I would do as others have suggested, send it to that big recycle plant in the sky.

Kareeser
March 29th, 2009, 10:28 PM
I would do as others have suggested, send it to that big recycle plant in the sky.

Heavy explosives?? :)

bakedbeans4life
March 29th, 2009, 10:33 PM
Heavy explosives?? :)

Anybody see Mythbusters and the cement mixer truck? :P

Mehall
March 29th, 2009, 10:47 PM
Am I the only person to ahve got a free computer from a stranger and have it still be usable?

I managed to snag an AMD XP 2000+ with 256MB RAM (getting an upgrade soon, since MoBo supports 2GB :P)

Gonna upgrade Graphics too. If I got a half-way decent graphics card (by that I mean DirectX 8.1 or better capable) then i could run a few games on it. (Surprisingly, The Orange Box being one of them :P)

lykwydchykyn
March 29th, 2009, 11:00 PM
Am I the only person to ahve got a free computer from a stranger and have it still be usable?

Half the computers in my home were given to me by people who thought they were useless, or parts of computers that were. I hate throwing away working electronics.

Just wish I could find someone to give them to after I get them working again.

Newuser1111
March 29th, 2009, 11:12 PM
I found out why I couldn't install Linux, I was trying to put it on hda which is a CD drive when the hard drive is hdc.

darrelljon
March 29th, 2009, 11:18 PM
Tiny Core Linux (http://www.tinycorelinux.com/) would fly on that. Maybe even Slitaz (http://www.slitaz.org/en/). Try it and see.

Newuser1111
March 29th, 2009, 11:48 PM
Tiny Core Linux (http://www.tinycorelinux.com/) would fly on that. Maybe even Slitaz (http://www.slitaz.org/en/). Try it and see.I think Slitaz didn't boot.
I'll try Tiny Core Linux after Slackware 3.5 setup is done.
EDIT:LILO failed to install, it wanted to make a floppy but I don't have any floppies. So now I'll try Tiny Core Linux.
EDIT:Tiny Core Linux also doesn't boot, it just stays with:

0008192 KB

Please Wait...

Keyboard.....Detected
Mouse........Detected

CD-ROM Drive Installed MATSHITA CR-581
Hard Disk 0 Installed Maxtor 71084 AP

Floppy A: Installed

EDIT:I could try putting the Maxtor in another computer then installing Linux on it then putting it back in the Packard Bell.

Hobgoblin
March 30th, 2009, 02:07 AM
The early motherboard BIOS would not recognise much beyond a 500MB hard drives,

I distinctly remember having to buy an add-on IDE card to get my 486DX4 system to cope with a 100MB HDD.

Newuser1111
March 30th, 2009, 05:13 AM
Slackware 3.5 isn't working, should I try something else?
It just says LI on the screen.

Wikipedia says that means
The first stage boot loader was able to load the second stage boot loader, but has failed to execute it. This can be caused by bad disk parameters in the BIOS.

lykwydchykyn
March 30th, 2009, 05:25 AM
Menuet? (http://www.menuetos.net/)

dmizer
March 30th, 2009, 08:36 AM
But it only has 8MB memory.

EDIT:
If memory serves me, that mainboard should support a 100MHz CPU (and possibly more). You could probably pick one of those up for free as well.

Your bios won't support that size of a disk. You'll have to do a custom partition layout. Put the boot sector on a small partition. Once grub takes over, it doesn't matter what size HDD you have in the thing.

Whatever you do, don't make the mistake of investing money in that computer.

Keep in mind that, even when that computer was new it was low end. For example, the video, sound, and one or two others ... all pipe through the same ISA bus (to save space).

Even if you get Linux installed, I expect that (just as when this computer was brand new (http://www.staceman.net/pb/)) your usablity will be flaky at best.

johnny2m
March 30th, 2009, 11:47 AM
The joy of old machines!

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=478237

blueturtl
March 30th, 2009, 11:54 AM
I just sold some compatible RAM. If the buyer doesn't pay up (has not returned my calls yet) I'll send you the RAM.

I have 128 megs of EDO (the RAM they used on first-gen Pentiums, pre-SD-RAM stuff). With that your system should be usable with at least Debian, that's what I did + for Windows 95 128 megs of RAM is luxury.

jenkinbr
March 30th, 2009, 03:42 PM

I managed to snag an AMD XP 2000+ with 256MB RAM (getting an upgrade soon, since MoBo supports 2GB :P)

Gonna upgrade Graphics too. If I got a half-way decent graphics card (by that I mean DirectX 8.1 or better capable) then i could run a few games on it. (Surprisingly, The Orange Box being one of them :P)

I got all my machines for free from a local business that cannot run out-of-warrenty hardware. My current rig is a Pentium 4 w/ 512 MB ram. Runs pretty good with Ubuntu + Compiz (after I dropped in a GeForce 6100).

s.fox
March 30th, 2009, 03:46 PM
My neighbour is going to give me their old PC when the get a new one in a few weeks. Its very slow and I think its running Windows ME. I am also told the DVD drive doesn't work.

I got no idea about the specs of the machine but my initial thoughts is to install Kubuntu or Puppy and see how it gets on. When I find out the exact specs I'll probably create a thread asking for advice on a distro to use.

Skripka
March 30th, 2009, 04:37 PM
My neighbour is going to give me their old PC when the get a new one in a few weeks. Its very slow and I think its running Windows ME. I am also told the DVD drive doesn't work.

I got no idea about the specs of the machine but my initial thoughts is to install Kubuntu or Puppy and see how it gets on. When I find out the exact specs I'll probably create a thread asking for advice on a distro to use.

You can get a LiteOn drive for the cost of dinner for two at McDonald's, though.

Vince4Amy
March 30th, 2009, 04:57 PM
Mod the case and put some new components in it. Thats what I'm doing with an old 386 case for the fun of it, though I don't know what I can with the LED Panel which displays the CPU Speed next to the turbo button.

jenkinbr
March 30th, 2009, 08:39 PM
...microwave the componets to see what happens?
(PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE do NOT use a microwave you will later cook food in)
(I also recommend you do this outside in a ventilated area, with a fire extinguisher handy in case things get out of hand)

Newuser1111
March 30th, 2009, 09:35 PM
i just sold some compatible ram. If the buyer doesn't pay up (has not returned my calls yet) i'll send you the ram.

I have 128 megs of edo (the ram they used on first-gen pentiums, pre-sd-ram stuff). With that your system should be usable with at least debian, that's what i did + for windows 95 128 megs of ram is luxury.Ok.

Newuser1111
April 1st, 2009, 10:09 PM
I'm still trying to get some RAM.

but until then, I got Slackware 3.5 working(so far its the only Linux I could get to boot on it, but that might have something to do with the CD drive I'm using.)

And I got some floppies from the same people I got the computer from:
Packard Bell Restore & Recovery Disk Version 2.0W Disk 1 of 1
PRODIGY Software OEM INSTALL DISK 1 Version 9.18.00 Stage 4.14 Disk 1 of 2
PRODIGY Software OEM INSTALL DISK 1 Version 9.18.00 Stage 4.14 Disk 2 of 2
PB450 Flash Update Utility BIOS v.1.17
Capture Professional 2.5 CREATIVE SOFTWORX
3M High Density IBM Formatted 1.44 MB (Blank floppy)
3M High Density IBM Formatted 1.44 MB (I put LILO on it.)

But Slackware is having a problem, when I type startx it loads to a blue screen with the X cursor but the mouse won't do anything.(I think the keyboard works, but I might be wrong)
To configure X I used xf86config.

EDIT:
I got the mouse working.

Newuser1111
April 3rd, 2009, 10:15 PM
I got more RAM!

I put in 4 32MB things but it only detects 80MB, with 4 of the 32 MBs wouldn't it be 128MB?

(I got the RAM by buying 2 Dell computers from some place. One of them is a Dell OptiPlex GL 5100 and the other is a Dell OptiPlex 433/Le. They only cost $8 each. The OptiPlex GL 5100 was the one that had the 128MB RAM, the OptiPlex 433/Le only has 8MB of RAM.)
Now to find out what to do with these 2 Dells, I could start a new thread about that after I find out why the Packard Bell is only using 80MB out of 128MB.

EDIT:
I just took out 2 of the 32MBs, so it only has 64MB.

doorknob60
April 3rd, 2009, 10:39 PM
Probably just more BIOS limitations. If I put 8 GB of RAM in my box, it would only detect 4 GB, for the same reason.

Newuser1111
April 3rd, 2009, 10:42 PM
Probably just more BIOS limitations. If I put 8 GB of RAM in my box, it would only detect 4 GB, for the same reason.Would updating the BIOS help(If there is a newer version somewhere)?

lisati
April 3rd, 2009, 10:52 PM
High Performance FTW!!!

(That's one reason those terms shouldn't appear in User Manuals, pruduct descriptions, etc...

To be honest, I have a 500Mhz box that sits around because I have nothing to do with it that would justify the Electricity expenses to run it.

I like the case-mod idea...
I once read a review of Xenix (or something similar), possibly back in the late 1980s or early 1980s. The reviewer made some comment about needing all the cpu speed he had in the machine. If memory serves correctly, it was somewhere in the 10-20MHz range.

Anybody see Mythbusters and the cement mixer truck? :P

I have an Win98 machine, all of 133MHz (it was "wow" at the time, the previous machine I had was 20MHz) and 64Mb of ram. I replaced the 1Gb HDD with a 3Gb model some time ago, and more recently replaced the sound card and modem with an ethernet card and a USB 1.1 card (only 2 PCI slots)

I'm still pondering what to use it for, but currently have Win98SE on it, with a copy of e-sword, some network monitoring software, and some goodies for programming. Can't remember if I've reinstalled one or other yet but I've got older copies of Open Office and Star Office lurking around somewhere. Maybe something like this might be the way to go.

Newuser1111
April 3rd, 2009, 11:33 PM
Now that it has 64MB of RAM, which Linux should I install onto it?

(On Slackware 3.5, with 64MB of RAM now Netscape runs much faster.)

Old_Grey_Wolf
April 3rd, 2009, 11:37 PM
I got more RAM!

I put in 4 32MB things but it only detects 80MB, with 4 of the 32 MBs wouldn't it be 128MB?

EDIT:
I just took out 2 of the 32MBs, so it only has 64MB.

The Packard Bell 408CD should have a maximum of (128MB of RAM) + (8MB that is not replaceable) = (for a total of 136MB).

Newuser1111
April 3rd, 2009, 11:39 PM
The Packard Bell 408CD should have a maximum of 128MB of RAM plus 8MB that is not replaceable for a total of 136MB.I was able to take out the 8MB and some other one that was in there.
But if I put in all 4 32MBs then it only reads 80MB.

I asked if it had something to do with the BIOS's version.

Would updating the BIOS help(If there is a newer version somewhere)?

Old_Grey_Wolf
April 3rd, 2009, 11:47 PM
I was able to take out the 8MB and some other one that was in there.
But if I put in all 4 32MBs then it only reads 80MB.

I asked if it had something to do with the BIOS's version.

If I remember correctly, the 408CD has 2 banks of 2 memory slots. I think you have to put the same speed/spec RAM in each bank for it to work properly.

Try swapping the memory around.

Newuser1111
April 4th, 2009, 12:11 AM
If I remember correctly, the 408CD has 2 banks of 2 memory slots. I think you have to put the same speed/spec RAM in each bank for it to work properly.

Try swapping the memory around.Nevermind, I found out why.
The sticker on the ram says 32M but in marker there is an 8 written over it(I didn't notice that before because on one of them it doesn't even look like an 8 ). So it could be 8MB on 2 of them(32+32+8+8=80).

EDIT:
How can I put a larger hard drive in? I know the 10GB didn't work in it. Would a 6GB one work?

Newuser1111
April 5th, 2009, 04:25 AM
I got Debian 5.0 on it. I had to install it over the network because it wouldn't boot the CD.

Now how would I get a GUI on it? And which DE or WM?

(Currently has 75Mhz CPU, 64MB RAM, 1GB Hard drive)

Newuser1111
April 5th, 2009, 05:32 AM
I got Debian 5.0 on it. I had to install it over the network because it wouldn't boot the CD.

Now how would I get a GUI on it? And which DE or WM?

(Currently has 75Mhz CPU, 64MB RAM, 1GB Hard drive) Bump

Also, ping shows it has an internet connection.

Mehall
April 5th, 2009, 01:26 PM
Bump

Also, ping shows it has an internet connection.

if it has a net connection,

apt-get update (with root rights)

then

apt-get install <packages>

You'll want xorg first (unless you wanna use xvesa to keep it REALLY light)

Then you need to add a login manager (I advise slim) and a window manager (I advise something as light as openbox or lighter, though watch if you install openbox: It comes woth almost nothing by default, you'll want something like lxpanel or something.)

Newuser1111
April 5th, 2009, 03:32 PM
if it has a net connection,

apt-get update (with root rights)

then

apt-get install <packages>

You'll want xorg first (unless you wanna use xvesa to keep it REALLY light)

Then you need to add a login manager (I advise slim) and a window manager (I advise something as light as openbox or lighter, though watch if you install openbox: It comes woth almost nothing by default, you'll want something like lxpanel or something.)
I did:
apt-get update
apt-get install xorg
apt-get install slim
apt-get install openbox
apt-get install lxpanel

now what? And how to I configure X? And start X? (I've restarted the computer after installing those.)

EDIT:
I forgot that I accidentally restarted my computer while installing xorg, so I have to reinstall that.

EDIT:
xserver is having a problem!
When I type startx the screen turns black then a box appears in the center that says "Attention Out of range H: .1KHz V:194.5Hz"
(Linux didn't make that message, it's something my monitor does)

Here's the xorg.conf,

Section "InuputDevice"
Identifier "Generic Keyboard"
Driver "kbd"
Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
Option "XkbModel" "pc101"
Option "XkbLayout" "us"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Configured Mouse"
Driver "mouse"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Configured Video Device"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Configured Monitor"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Monitor "Configured Monitor"
EndSection

Newuser1111
April 5th, 2009, 04:27 PM
Help? Why does "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg" only configure the keyboard?

Chilli Bob
April 5th, 2009, 06:02 PM
FreeDOS + Abandonware = Fun

gjoellee
April 5th, 2009, 06:07 PM
I looked up the specs. Unless it has been upgraded it has:

75 Mhz processor
8 MB RAM
1 GB Hard Disk

Edit: Spec sheet was too large to attach.

*driven to hospital because of a heart attack caused by low speccs

I bet it was bought for like 1000 $...

This is even better! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Macintosh_128k_transparency.png

Newuser1111
April 5th, 2009, 06:08 PM
FreeDOS + Abandonware = FunI already have a Tandy 1000 SX computer running MS-DOS 5.00, I just don't know how to get files on and off of it without having those larger floppies. But I did have the idea of putting it's hard drive into another computer and putting more games onto it. I just haven't tried that yet.

*driven to hospital because of a heart attack caused by low speccs

I bet it was bought for like 1000 $...

This is even better! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ma...ansparency.pngI've upgraded the RAM to 64MB on Page 7 at Post 69.

Anyways, how do I configure X in Debian 5 because dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg doesn't fix it.
The X server shows no errors but it's having a problem with the monitor("out of range").

Newuser1111
April 5th, 2009, 08:08 PM
I did:
apt-get update
apt-get install xorg
apt-get install slim
apt-get install openbox
apt-get install lxpanel

now what? And how to I configure X? And start X? (I've restarted the computer after installing those.)

EDIT:
I forgot that I accidentally restarted my computer while installing xorg, so I have to reinstall that.

EDIT:
xserver is having a problem!
When I type startx the screen turns black then a box appears in the center that says "Attention Out of range H: .1KHz V:194.5Hz"
(Linux didn't make that message, it's something my monitor does)

Here's the xorg.conf,

Section "InuputDevice"
Identifier "Generic Keyboard"
Driver "kbd"
Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
Option "XkbModel" "pc101"
Option "XkbLayout" "us"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Configured Mouse"
Driver "mouse"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Configured Video Device"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Configured Monitor"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Monitor "Configured Monitor"
EndSection
Help?

lykwydchykyn
April 5th, 2009, 09:50 PM
- Get to a root prompt
- Type "X -configure". It will generate a barebones xorg.conf (one that actually has all the entries, not just the "configured device" junk). You can then edit this, and copy it to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.
- I would try editing it to use 16 bit color and 640x480 for starters, then work my way up from there. If you don't know how, just ask.

Newuser1111
April 5th, 2009, 09:53 PM
- Get to a root prompt
- Type "X -configure". It will generate a barebones xorg.conf (one that actually has all the entries, not just the "configured device" junk). You can then edit this, and copy it to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.
- I would try editing it to use 16 bit color and 640x480 for starters, then work my way up from there. If you don't know how, just ask.How?

billgoldberg
April 5th, 2009, 09:57 PM
I got a Packard Bell from my neighbors for free.
On the front it says Packard Bell Legend 408CD

What should I do with it?
Reinstall 95, install 98, install Linux, or something else?

Problems:
Windows 95 is slow.

I was going to take a picture of it, but here's a video instead:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-M6ILJyq-o
(They didn't give me a monitor, so I had to use one that I already had.)

Lol.

A friend showed up at my house today with his old pc and give it to me (to thank me for all the times I helped him out with his other pc's).

It's an old Dell Optiplex G1, Pentium II, 192mb of ram.

It uses some strange bios protection stuff. After opening the case, it would throw some error at me and locked me of the bios.

Had to remove the cmos battery (broke one of the clamps, little scare but it still works).

It's already running Slitaz. It's lightning fast.

Tomorrow evening I'll start compiling the server apps (as their repo is more than lacking).

Newuser1111
April 5th, 2009, 10:08 PM
- Get to a root prompt
- I would try editing it to use 16 bit color and 640x480 for starters, then work my way up from there. If you don't know how, just ask.
What do I do with xorg.conf.new? What do I have to edit?

scottuss
April 5th, 2009, 10:12 PM
Keep it somewhere safe and wait 'till you have collected another 4 or 5 of these little beauties, then make your own "shed machine cluster" Simples!

You might be able to get TinyCore Linux running on it at some point

lykwydchykyn
April 5th, 2009, 10:23 PM
What do I do with xorg.conf.new? What do I have to edit?

Can you post what it gave you? I don't have one in front of me to remember what to put it. If I see it I can tell you.

Newuser1111
April 5th, 2009, 10:33 PM
Can you post what it gave you? I don't have one in front of me to remember what to put it. If I see it I can tell you.xorg.conf.new:

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "X.org Configured"
Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
Screen 1 "Screen1" RightOf "Screen0"
InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
EndSection

Section "Files"
RgbPath "/etc/X11/rgb"
ModulePath "/usr/lib/xorg/modules"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/misc"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/cyrillic"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi/:unscaled"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi/:unscaled"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi"
FontPath "/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType"
EndSection

Section "Module"
Load "xtrap"
Load "extmod"
Load "GLcore"
Load "record"
Load "dbe"
Load "glx"
Load "dri"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Keyboard0"
Driver "kbd"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Mouse0"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "auto"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5 6 7"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Monitor0"
VendorName "Monitor Vendor"
ModelName "Monitor Model"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Monitor1"
VendorName "Monitor Vendor"
ModelName "Monitor Model"
EndSection

Section "Device"
### Available Driver options are:-
### Values: <i>: integer, <f>: float, <bool>: "True"/"False",
### <string>: "String", <freq>: "<f> Hz/kHz/MHz"
### [arg]: arg optional
#Option "noaccel" # [<bool>]
#Option "swcursor" # [<bool>]
#Option "slow_dram_refresh" # [<bool>]
#Option "slow_dram" # [<bool>]
#Option "slow_edodram" # [<bool>]
#Option "slow_vram" # [<bool>]
Identifier "Card0"
Driver "s3"
VendorName "S3 Inc."
BoardName "86c764/765 [Trio32/64/64V+]"
BusID "PCI:0:17:0"
EndSection

Section "Device"
### Available Driver options are:-
### Values: <i>: integer, <f>: float, <bool>: "True"/"False",
### <string>: "String", <freq>: "<f> Hz/kHz/MHz"
### [arg]: arg optional
#Option "HWcursor" # [<bool>]
#Option "NoAccel" # [<bool>]
#Option "MMIO" # [<bool>]
#Option "ShadowFB" # [<bool>]
#Option "Rotate" # [<str>]
#Option "MemCFG1" # <i>
#Option "MemCFG2" # <i>
Identifier "Card1"
Driver "cirrus"
VendorName "Cirrus Logic"
BoardName "GD 5434-8 [Alpine]"
BusID "PCI:0:8:0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Card0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 1
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 4
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 8
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 15
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 16
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 24
EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen1"
Device "Card1"
Monitor "Monitor1"
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 1
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 4
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 8
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 15
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 16
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 24
EndSubSection
EndSection

Newuser1111
April 5th, 2009, 11:59 PM
I edited my previous post.

Newuser1111
April 6th, 2009, 01:21 AM
Bump

dmizer
April 6th, 2009, 01:33 AM
Please wait at least 24 hours before bumping your own thread unless you have more information to add.

Thank you :)

lykwydchykyn
April 6th, 2009, 03:31 AM
Under the section that says "Screen", add this line under the "Monitor" line:

DefaultDepth 16

Then, go down a few lines to where it says "Dept 16" and add this line:

Modes "640x480"

If that works, you can change the line to:

Modes "800x600" "640x480"

and so forth, adding resolutions to it until it stops working. Then dial back to the last one, and that'd be your max. You can of course try that with a higher or lower DefaultDepth setting to see what works and what doesn't.

BTW, don't forget to copy the file to /etc/X11/xorg.conf to try it out.

Newuser1111
April 6th, 2009, 03:38 AM
Under the section that says "Screen", add this line under the "Monitor" line:

DefaultDepth 16

Then, go down a few lines to where it says "Dept 16" and add this line:

Modes "640x480"

If that works, you can change the line to:

Modes "800x600" "640x480"

and so forth, adding resolutions to it until it stops working. Then dial back to the last one, and that'd be your max. You can of course try that with a higher or lower DefaultDepth setting to see what works and what doesn't.

BTW, don't forget to copy the file to /etc/X11/xorg.conf to try it out.Now the graphics are really messed up.

(Picture attached, and a picture showing where the cursor is.)

lykwydchykyn
April 6th, 2009, 03:54 AM
That's pretty wacky. Try lowering the default depth. What are the video specs?

Newuser1111
April 6th, 2009, 03:59 AM
That's pretty wacky. Try lowering the default depth. What are the video specs?1MB video memory?
I think it's some S3 video card.
xorg.conf says 86c764/765 [Trio32/64/64V+]

I lowered it to 8 and was still mostly the same.

EDIT:
I searched in google and it shows that that's the card VirtualPC uses.

Newuser1111
April 6th, 2009, 04:35 AM
Fixed it by using the vesa driver.
(The S3 driver isn't working right.)

Now what?
It's on a black screen with a cursor and if I right click then a menu appears with Terminal emulator, Web browser, Desktops, ObConf, Reconfigure, Restart, and Exit.

EDIT:
Clicking Web browser, ObConf, and Reconfigure do nothing.

JK3mp
April 6th, 2009, 04:48 AM
I think its pretty much obviouse from all the previouse posts. Its garbage or oversized paperweight. :). Can always use it to prop the door open when its hot too i guess... LoL

Maheriano
April 6th, 2009, 04:48 AM
2 words.....Office Space.

lykwydchykyn
April 6th, 2009, 04:51 AM
You probably just need to install those things. Do you have a browser installed? Firefox (or iceweasel) might be too heavy. Might want to get seamonkey or a text-based browser like links2.

Try just running "aptitude" in a terminal. If you've not tried it, it's a nice little ncurses package manager, like synaptic only in a console.

Newuser1111
April 6th, 2009, 05:01 AM
2 words.....Office Space.What?

You probably just need to install those things. Do you have a browser installed? Firefox (or iceweasel) might be too heavy. Might want to get seamonkey or a text-based browser like links2.OK

Try just running "aptitude" in a terminal. If you've not tried it, it's a nice little ncurses package manager, like synaptic only in a console. But I'm already installing synaptic.

How would I get the panels?

EDIT:
This edit was posted with links2 on the Packard Bell running Debian 5 with Openbox. I tried apt-get seamonkey but it didn't find it.

EDIT2:
I restarted the computer(for no reason) and now it gets an error:

Error 16: Inconsistent filesystem structure
Press any key to continue...
and when I press a key it goes back to GRUB.

Newuser1111
April 6th, 2009, 04:08 PM
I put the hard drive in another computer and it says it's because of the superblock.

e2fsck 1.40-WIP (14-Nov-2006)
e2fsck: Bad magic number in super-block while trying to open /dev/sdb1

The superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct ext2
filesystem. If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2
filesystem (and not swap or ufs or something else), then the superblock
is corrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with an alternate superblock:
e2fsck -b 8193 <device>
EDIT:
It's an ext3 filesystem.

EDIT:
I fixed it by searching google and I found this http://blog.edseek.com/archives/2004/02/25/ext3-filesystem-bad-superblock-recovery/

EDIT:
Still gets Error 16: Inconsistent filesystem structure.

EDIT:
I'm going to reinstall the OS anyways because I got a 6GB drive working!

EDIT:
Or not. It knows its a 6GB Western Digital, but when I run fdisk it says:

hdc: irq timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }
ide1: reset timed-out, status0xd0
hdc: status timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }
hdc: drive not ready for command
ide1: reset timed-out, status=0xd0
hdc: status timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }
end_request: I/O error, dev 16:00, sector 0
hdc: drive not ready for command

Unable to read /dev/hdc
To get the computer to recognize it I had to set this in the BIOS:

IDE Device Configureation User Definable

Number of Cylinders 13328
Number of Heads 15
Number of Sectors 63
Maximum Capacity 6150 MB

IDE Translation Mode Auto Detected
Multiple Sector Setting Auto Detected
Fast Programmed I/O Modes Auto Detected

Should I (and can I) get this 6GB hard drive working or should I continue using the 1GB?