PDA

View Full Version : Linux invades Hollywood...

JimmyJazz
January 1st, 2006, 03:24 AM
http://cgw.pennnet.com/Articles/Article_Display.cfm?Section=Articles&Subsection=Display&ARTICLE_ID=118664

I thought this was a pretty interesting article on how Linux can be a very powerful tool for proffesionals. Its also a nice wake up call to those kids who think that Linux isn't good for video production (sorry your MAC is still a pretty color though) ;)

xequence
January 1st, 2006, 03:39 AM
This article is a couple years old...

Shrek was the first major motion picture created primarily using Linux.

I didnt know that =O

Pixar finished the Linux port of all its internal software, about two million lines, in May.

Hey, isnt pixar owned by apple?

JimmyJazz
January 1st, 2006, 04:55 AM

no just co-founded by Steve Jobs

Cope57
January 1st, 2006, 06:20 AM
Studios Using Linux

* Digital Domain
* Disney
* Double Negative
* DreamWorks Animation
* Flash Film Works
* Hammerhead
* Industrial Light & Magic
* Moving Picture Company
* Pixar
* Rhythm & Hues
* Sony Pictures
* Tippett
* Weta Digital

More here (http://linuxmovies.movieeditor.com/studio/index.html)

vayu
January 1st, 2006, 08:56 AM
Anyone know which DE they are using and any info on the apps that they use? Have they all developed proprietary apps?

JimmyJazz
January 1st, 2006, 09:06 AM
alot of them use Mesa

drfalkor
January 1st, 2006, 11:00 AM

I think pixar is owned by Lucas arts - Correct me if I'm wrong .

egon spengler
January 1st, 2006, 01:12 PM
Pixar started off as part of Lucas, then went indy. I'm not sure if Disney bought into the company or just got them locked into a really good (for Disney at least) deal but I saw a programme on tv a while back abbout how Disney own all of the characters from the Pixar films and are in fact making Toy Story 3 without them

asimon
January 1st, 2006, 04:24 PM
Anyone know which DE they are using and any info on the apps that they use? Have they all developed proprietary apps?

I remember an article about Industrial Light & Magic from Linux Journal where it was stated that they run Red Hat. It wasn't mentioned which desktop environment they run but on the printed screenshots one could see KDE. Among the software they used was Maya, Softimage, Renderman, and of course many self developed tools and plugins.

On at least one screenshot of the article which JimmyJazz linked you can also see that KDE is running (the one showing "The Shake compositing application").