PDA

View Full Version : JAVA BlueJ help!

Eremis
March 28th, 2009, 03:16 AM
Hi everybody!

I just started using BlueJ, (I used Netbeans before, but it's too heavy on reasorces...)

Anyways when i am in BlueJ editor, and open a program to view the code everything is fine at first, but when I scroll up, or down my text gets messed up. I attached a picture to show you what I mean.

shatterblast
March 28th, 2009, 07:34 PM
My first thoughts are that it could be an issue with either the video card driver, the font, or the memory. Nothing to really "fix," but changing a few settings may help. I use Intrepid 8.10 so the following may be a little different.

It may help to reduce visual effects to a minimum so that the display reacts a bit quicker. To do so, click on:

System -> Preferences -> Appearance -> Visual Effects tab at the top -> Set to None

That may help a bit, especially with font issues, but it may not resolve the issue completely. I don't use BlueJ so I'm not sure what steps to take exactly. How ever, changing the default font to something like Times New Roman may help the visual corruption. Some fonts are more memory intensive than others. It usually doesn't matter much until you have lots of text at once, which can happen with software development. Also if necessary, don't forget to select all available text and convert to a different font as well.

Lastly, you should probably check out envyng from within Synaptic. While not emphasizing games, it should help optimize aspects of your desktop environment's responsiveness.

The Cog
March 29th, 2009, 12:05 AM
I really like the idea of bluej, but I find the editor intolerable. The font quality varies from awful to even more awful.

If you're not wedded to BlueJ, I suggest you try geany, which is in the repositories. It's lightweight and good-looking. It doesn have the graphical class relationship diagram though.

Eremis
March 29th, 2009, 03:50 AM
I already have geany, and thats what i am currenty using. I just downloaded BlueJ, because a lot of people said it was good, so i though i whould try it out.
I think that the problem is the visulal effects, but i dont want to turn them off, so i will just keep using Geany.

Thanks for all the replyes