PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installation Problem

razor93
March 28th, 2009, 02:21 AM
I am completely new to ubuntu. I just heard about it yesterday.

I think i have downloaded ubuntu 8.10 onto a CD correctly, but when I reboot and select ubuntu, it loads to the brown screen, then locks up and the screen messes up. The same thing happens when i do the try it without installing. Any tips on how i can work out the problem or what the problem is? Any help is appreciated.:confused:

Or tell me if this thread should be in a different area of the forums.

Someone please help me.

pbpersson
March 28th, 2009, 05:25 AM
You posted this 2 hours ago and no one has replied so I will take a stab at it.

1. Check your CD for defects, when you boot up from the Live CD I think that is one of the choices you have
2. Correct me if I am wrong, but you said when you try to run Ubuntu from the Live CD it messes up your screen, correct?
3. What exactly do you mean when you say "it messes up my screen"?

Now.....here is what I would do if I were you. I don't like using the search feature here in the forum but I love this forum.

I go out to Google and if I have a problem with.....say an ATI Radeon 5600 graphics card I type:

Ubuntu "ATI Radeon 5600"

and then I look for articles on the Ubuntu Forum web site that will help me. My guess is that IF your CD is not corrupted then someone else has already dealt with this same problem :)

Welcome to Ubuntu and I hope you get this worked out.

PenguinsFan
March 28th, 2009, 06:27 AM
Just wanted to also say "Welcome to Ubuntu" !

Pbpersson is right on the money - the first thing to do is run that CD check! A bad disc could definitely cause the kinds of problems your seeing. Make sure your using good media, and also if you haven't already done so validate that the Ubuntu file you downloaded is error free using an md5summer (some help here (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM))

Good luck! Let us know how it works out!

Bogdann
March 28th, 2009, 06:44 AM
Hi,
Tell us your computer configuration. I believe it's something related to your VGA card.

razor93
March 30th, 2009, 02:52 AM
Where do I find the video card?
Also, does it matter what kind of blank CD ubuntu is downloaded to?