PDA

View Full Version : I have a friend

jerrrys
March 28th, 2009, 12:46 AM
i have a friend that has seen ubuntu on my computer...he wants to try it...
he is a petty savvy computer user when it comes to xp, but linux?? he lives 50 miles away, so i cant run over to his house every time he need help,,,help please...

Sealbhach
March 28th, 2009, 12:49 AM
Let him download the ISO, then make it bootable onto a USB and let him boot from that. It will give him a really good idea of how well Ubuntu works with his hardware.

dragos240
March 28th, 2009, 12:50 AM
what are you asking

smartboyathome
March 28th, 2009, 12:51 AM
he is a petty savvy computer user when it comes to xp, but linux?? he lives 50 miles away, so i cant run over to his house every time he need help,,,help please...

You will have to explain to him that his prior knowlege will be useless on Linux, and he better get used to being incopetent for a while. He should keep an open mind, though, as it will lead to a widening of the mind to several philosophies.

I-75
March 28th, 2009, 12:54 AM

Ask him if he has a spare hard drive, tell him to swap out the xp drive and put another in and install Ubuntu on that. From there if he messes anything up (which should not be the case) he can just reinstall and his XP won't be affected...I call this "Linux on training wheels".

Another idea is to let him try out a Live CD and get used to it, and when he is ready to install...use the wubi option. Once he feels that he is ready...he can partition the hard drive with his XP and reinstall Ubuntu as a full fledged dual boot.

There are some fairly good Linux and Ubuntu videos on YouTube and I would suggest that he checks out the various videos. Plus there are tons of Linux podcasts that are always of great help.

http://thelinuxlink.net/

jerrrys
March 28th, 2009, 01:00 AM
Let him download the ISO, then make it bootable onto a USB and let him boot from that. It will give him a really good idea of how well Ubuntu works with his hardware.

this guy has tera bite to spare, not an isuue

Sealbhach
March 28th, 2009, 01:07 AM
this guy has tera bite to spare, not an isuue

It is an advantage, because he gets to try out Ubuntu without changing anything on his system.

jerrrys
March 28th, 2009, 01:17 AM

ok good idea for us, but someone thats knows nothing bout linux

jerrrys
March 28th, 2009, 01:22 AM
what are you asking

was not the question simple enough for you, come on, give me a hand..

jerrrys
March 28th, 2009, 01:24 AM
You will have to explain to him that his prior knowlege will be useless on Linux, and he better get used to being incopetent for a while. He should keep an open mind, though, as it will lead to a widening of the mind to several philosophies.
how did you get so brainy??

jerrrys
March 28th, 2009, 01:32 AM
was not the question simple enough for you, come on, give me a hand..

50 miles in this state is not and issue, however when you have several call a week for help, it adds uo

jerrrys
March 28th, 2009, 01:38 AM
50 miles in this state is not and issue, however when you have several call a week for help, it adds uo

its doing it again , what i type and whats printed is not the same...back to suse...bye

CraigPaleo
March 28th, 2009, 01:43 AM
its doing it again , what i type and whats printed is not the same...back to suse...bye

Are you sure you're not hitting the quote button instead of "new reply?"

jerrrys
March 28th, 2009, 01:57 AM
Are you sure you're not hitting the quote button instead of "new reply?"

no

jerrrys
March 28th, 2009, 01:59 AM
theres a quite button??buttom

jerrrys
March 28th, 2009, 02:11 AM
oh yes im om suse now, and i must add i like it,,,is it really that much different from ubuntu.... answer...no
w

smartboyathome
March 28th, 2009, 02:11 AM
how did you get so brainy??

I was born with it. ;)

jerrrys
March 28th, 2009, 02:15 AM
hay...new flash..i turn on the lites...i can see!!

jerrrys
March 28th, 2009, 02:21 AM
I was born with it. ;)

im not brainy, just hang around a lot of brainy prople
k

jerrrys
March 28th, 2009, 02:25 AM

speaking of brains, how you get so smart...

jerrrys
March 28th, 2009, 10:41 PM
thanks to all for the input, im sending this
link to my friend for him to ponder...marking this as SOLVED (for the moment)....

again THANKS to all of you...

speedwell68
March 28th, 2009, 11:14 PM
If I have friends that are interested in Ubuntu or Linux generally I lend them my spare laptop. I have loaned it to someone just this week and now they want Ubuntu.:D

nothingspecial
March 29th, 2009, 12:27 AM
http://www.picamatic.com/show/2009/03/29/01/59/3074416_bigthumb.jpg (http://www.picamatic.com/view/3074416_1142500_65f5_625x1000/)

swoll1980
March 29th, 2009, 12:52 AM
So do I.