PDA

View Full Version : ahh - peaceful pink noise :)

Alex Yeh
March 27th, 2009, 09:25 PM
I found a very useful little application the other day; it is called, intuitively enough, "whitenoise", and you can find it here (http://freshmeat.net/projects/whitenoise/) at freshmeat.net. Although it is called "whitenoise," the kinds of random noise can take other hues.

I had to compile from source, but that's no biggie - I found a way of managing applications compiled from source:

sudo apt-get install checkinstall

now when you compile whitenoise, do

./configure --prefix=/usr && make && sudo checkinstall -D make install

To see how to use whitenoise, run:

whitenoise --help

Here is how I like to run it:

whitenoise -c .033 -F 3

This produces a nice, low, soft whooshing sound.

enjoy :)

xpod
March 27th, 2009, 09:48 PM
I could do with some nice peaceful sounds but i think i have enough ambient "pink noise" going on already.........the joys of having 4 young daughters:?

dragos240
March 27th, 2009, 10:11 PM
check install is pretty usefull :D, although white noice is something I don't find relaxing XD

JackieChan
March 27th, 2009, 11:00 PM
Interesting...

the_hardy_kid
March 27th, 2009, 11:05 PM
I have say, you have a very eye catching title...

pelle.k
March 27th, 2009, 11:50 PM
Love it :)
I could certainly fall asleep to that sound. Or fall into a deep meditative state as well.

During the summer we have this creek (it's frozen during the winter) with water falls making sounds much like this pink noise not far from my house. It's great.
Loved your preset BTW.

Is anyone of you in to bineural beats? I'm (almost) deaf on my left ear, so i can't really get into that stuff, so white/ambient noise is as fun as it gets for me, hehe.