PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Dual(triple?)-booting 9.10 64 bit on RAID 5 and others

Gralamin
March 27th, 2009, 08:39 PM
This is three separate questions really.

First, I have a computer set up with a RAID 5 running Widows Vista Ultimate x64, and Windows XP x64. But I would like to have Linux back (Last computer broke), so I downloaded 9.10 x64, and I'm just trying to figure out the best way to go about installing it. Do I just need to make a partition, or is it more complicated then that?

I also have a laptop that has 4 Partitions in use already (Toshiba, Harddrive backup, Windows Vista Premium x64, and a swap) that I'd like to install Linux on without deleting a partition. Will I need to get another hard-drive / Buy Vista Ultimate to make a virtual disk? (Toshiba Satellite A350. The case has a slot but there doesn't seem to be a connector port.)

Finally, as an alternate solution to both of these, I have an 8 GB USB stick that I could try installing Ubuntu on, though I'm not sure how to go about doing this.

Sorry for so many questions, and thanks in advance.

graysky
March 27th, 2009, 08:44 PM
I dunno about the RAID-5 variable as I haven't ever messed with arrays before. In principal, see my reply to this thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1107864) to get your going... I dunno how stable Jaunty is right now so you might wanna use Intrepid until Jaunty goes gold in late April.

Gralamin
March 27th, 2009, 11:15 PM
I dunno about the RAID-5 variable as I haven't ever messed with arrays before. In principal, see my reply to this thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1107864) to get your going... I dunno how stable Jaunty is right now so you might wanna use Intrepid until Jaunty goes gold in late April.

From what I understand, a logical Partition is what Vista calls a Virtual disk, and Vista is unable to see drives that have logical partition's unless you have Vista ultimate.

graysky
March 27th, 2009, 11:20 PM
From what I understand, a logical Partition is what Vista calls a Virtual disk, and Vista is unable to see drives that have logical partition's unless you have Vista ultimate.

No offense but that is reason enough NOT to use vista. Charging for something that should be a native feature...

Gralamin
March 27th, 2009, 11:39 PM
No offense but that is reason enough NOT to use vista. Charging for something that should be a native feature...

Unfortunately it came with it, and I couldn't get that changed. It might be easier to upgrade to ultimate then to jump through hoops trying to get another Harddrive.

Edit: Good news, some friends had a version of Vista Ultimate Upgrade they weren't using, and probably wouldn't need until after Windows 7 comes out, so I can now get my Laptop set up.

Still need Advice on the RAID 5 and or the USB.