PDA

View Full Version : Comedian Stephen Colbert wins NASA space station name contest

ice60
March 27th, 2009, 07:28 PM
American comedian Stephen Colbert has won a NASA contest poll to determine the name for a new wing on the International Space Station.
you lot are useless, that thread went on for ages lol. i voted for Serenity which came second!! most of you voted for ubuntu lol. i don't know who Colbert is, but i don't like him. i don't like any narcissists (other than myself that is)

http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Comedian_Stephen_Colbert_wins_NASA_space_station_n ame_contest?curid=123390

sydbat
March 27th, 2009, 07:29 PM
you lot are useless, that thread went on for ages lol. i voted for Serenity which came second!! most of you voted for ubuntu lol. i don't know who Colbert is, but i don't like him. i don't like any narcissists (other than myself that is)

http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Comedian_Stephen_Colbert_wins_NASA_space_station_n ame_contest?curid=123390He's a comedian and did it as a joke. That people actually voted for him proved his point - people will do anything they are told.

Delever
March 27th, 2009, 07:33 PM
if they choose not to name the module after the comedian, they may consider naming the station's new $19 million toilet "Colbert" instead.

Win-win

zakany
March 27th, 2009, 07:52 PM
Colbert's narcissism is his schtick. He plays a pompous, Conservative talk show host and makes fun of them via hyperbole.

I just want to see what NASA does now. Too funny.

From Wiki:

Among his other namesakes are Steagle Colbeagle the Eagle, the mascot of the Saginaw Spirit junior ice hockey team in Michigan; Stephen Jr., a bald eagle born at the San Francisco Zoo; Aptostichus stephencolberti, a species of trapdoor spider; Air Colbert, a Virgin America airplane; and AmeriCone Dream, a Ben & Jerry's ice cream flavor.

ice60
March 27th, 2009, 08:01 PM
Win-win

coooool, i don't know how i missed that. i really hope they do that and name it Serenity :D

ice60
March 27th, 2009, 08:04 PM
Colbert's narcissism is his schtick. He plays a pompous, Conservative talk show host and makes fun of them via hyperbole.

I just want to see what NASA does now. Too funny.
yeah, but his real name is Stephen Colbert isn't it? so it doesn't matter what he pretends to be, he pimps his name whenever he can by the sound of it.

JackieChan
March 27th, 2009, 08:13 PM
Stephen Colbert is a comedian. He pulls stuff like this all the time. When he released his Christmas album during the holidays, he told everyone on his show to buy it on iTunes at a specific time so it would be the number 1 selling album. Now he told everyone to vote his name for the new NASA space station. I'm a huge Colbert fan (even read his book), I find this hilarious.... he's done so much with his life these last few years. He's ran for president, had a species of spider named after him, had a best selling album, a best selling book, now he's getting a NASA space station named after him.

I think NASA should keep the name Colbert. The people wanted it, and NASA should give them what they want. Plus, it'll probably get this NASA space station more media coverage, it'll make people be interested in NASA again.

ice60
March 27th, 2009, 08:26 PM
Stephen Colbert is a comedian. He pulls stuff like this all the time. When he released his Christmas album during the holidays, he told everyone on his show to buy it on iTunes at a specific time so it would be the number 1 selling album. Now he told everyone to vote his name for the new NASA space station. I'm a huge Colbert fan (even read his book), I find this hilarious.... he's done so much with his life these last few years. He's ran for president, had a species of spider named after him, had a best selling album, a best selling book, now he's getting a NASA space station named after him.

I think NASA should keep the name Colbert. The people wanted it, and NASA should give them what they want. Plus, it'll probably get this NASA space station more media coverage, it'll make people be interested in NASA again.
i really like nasa, 3 members of my family have worked on space programs too, i know how hard they work and the pride they have for their work. i think the name is offensive, the name was for people interested in the program to name, many skilled people have spent many years making parts for the space station, they gave the honor of naming it to people they thought cared and it was turned in to a joke by a comic.

if you can't see it's offensive to everyone involved in the program i wouldn't expect anything else, most people think the same way, it's sad but true.

gletob
March 27th, 2009, 08:29 PM
I think the should name it Colbert

But pronounce it like Coal Burt

Tristam Green
March 27th, 2009, 08:34 PM
yeah, but his real name is Stephen Colbert isn't it? so it doesn't matter what he pretends to be, he pimps his name whenever he can by the sound of it.

Not really.

Just because Anthony Edwards plays Dr. Green on "ER" people don't come to him because they're having heart palpitations, do they?

He's not a jerk, he just plays one on TV. He's from where I live, is a very level-headed guy, and an all-around awesome person.

He proved the point that people will do whatever they're told, I think NASA should allow the module to be named that, and him telling people to vote on it is no different than people organizing to vote for particular music videos on a "weekly top-ten countdown".

The fact that NASA held a contest to decide the name of a space-station module shows a lack of creativity on the part of the designers to name it.

Let it be known that I have loads of respect for the space agencies of the world, and that I have multiple family members who work with/have worked with it in the past.

mamamia88
March 27th, 2009, 08:42 PM
that guy is hilarious

JackieChan
March 27th, 2009, 08:55 PM
i really like nasa, 3 members of my family have worked on space programs too, i know how hard they work and the pride they have for their work. i think the name is offensive, the name was for people interested in the program to name, many skilled people have spent many years making parts for the space station, they gave the honor of naming it to people they thought cared and it was turned in to a joke by a comic.

if you can't see it's offensive to everyone involved in the program i wouldn't expect anything else, most people think the same way, it's sad but true.
I can see how it is offensive to some people, but you have to remember, it's just a name. It's not like the name would ruin the project. It doesn't disgrace NASA, it adds a whole new appeal to NASA that wasn't there before. It's far from just a simple joke, it's introducing a new group of people to NASA.

So far, this whole situation has sparked interest in NASA, specifically from young people who watch Colbert's show. I'm kind of glad that people are showing some interest in NASA again. Some good is coming out of it. And to all the people who disagree with the name, it's NASA's fault for including the option to put other names in. What did they think would happen? Maybe next time they won't put that feature in a poll.

I would prefer Serenity as the name (I love the name Serenity, even I named my beloved bearded dragon that), but I would not mind one bit if it was named Colbert. Naming something after a comedian is not that offensive.

blueshiftoverwatch
March 28th, 2009, 03:56 PM
This is probably a good thing. Maybe it'll get more people interested in space exploration. If NASA didn't want something like this to happen they shouldn't have allowed people to vote on it. Also it's not like Colbert is a name that's disgraceful or anything. It's just a last name.

Giant Speck
March 28th, 2009, 04:02 PM
Well, considering the bridge in Hungary was not named after him, I'm going to safely say that this won't be named after him either.

What Mr. Colbert did with both that contest and this contest was prove that "suggest your own name" contests can be easily influenced.

Skripka
March 28th, 2009, 04:05 PM

I can see that...but honestly-If it were not for Colbert, the module naming would have gotten no attention whatsoever. I'll be honest, I keep up on the media, and I knew nothing of it until I saw Colbert's clip.

Besides, all the other names were tea-brand names. ;)

Glucklich
March 28th, 2009, 06:07 PM
Besides, all the other names were tea-brand names. ;)

I get your point. But Serenity was more voted than the other names because it had a double-meaning. It was the name of the spaceship on 'Firefly'. It was a pretty cool show so, it got every vote it deserved. Until Colbert, which has absolutely no meaning at all.

Giant Speck
March 28th, 2009, 06:09 PM
I get your point. But Serenity got apart from the other names because it had a double-meaning. It was the name of the spaceship on 'Firefly'. It was a pretty cool show.

That is precisely why I voted for it. :)

init1
March 28th, 2009, 07:08 PM
Yeah, I voted for him :D
He's a satire comedian on Comedy Central. He did something like this when he told viewers to vote for him to be named after a bridge in Hungry. He got the most votes, but I'm not sure if they actually named it that, since I believe the original rules were that you need to have been born in Hungry and be dead to be named after the bridge.

Giant Speck
March 28th, 2009, 07:33 PM
Yeah, I voted for him :D
He's a satire comedian on Comedy Central. He did something like this when he told viewers to vote for him to be named after a bridge in Hungry. He got the most votes, but I'm not sure if they actually named it that, since I believe the original rules were that you need to have been born in Hungry and be dead to be named after the bridge.

Nope. That bridge was eventually named the Megyeri Bridge.

In this effect, he's kind of like Al Gore: got the most votes, but didn't win.