PDA

View Full Version : GCC & GMP: Can't compile simple program

veraction
January 1st, 2006, 12:03 AM
Newbie problem solved.

Forgot to use the -lgmp option on gcc](*,)

[edit] Can compile fine now, just can't figure out how to run it:

$ ./a.out
./a.out: error while loading shared libraries: libgmp.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

OK, another newbie problem solved: It wasn't finding the shared libraries. When I compiled gmp, it placed the libraries in /usr/local/lib. I fixed the problem by making links to these libraries and placing them in /lib

$ cd /lib
$ sudo ln -s /usr/local/lib/libgmp.so
$ sudo ln -s /usr/local/lib/libgmp.so.3

Now it seems to work.. for now :)

ape
January 1st, 2006, 01:01 AM
the other thing you can do in this situation would be to set your LD_LIBRARY_PATH variable to include the /usr/local/lib directory. Depends on if you start having too many symlinks to manage..<G>

veraction
January 1st, 2006, 01:19 AM
BTW, how would I go about doing that?

I know I can use env to show variable things, and also echo $PATH to display paths, but I don't know how to set them. I tried using set but am not sure on how it is used (no man page). I tried adding one, but it didn't show up in the env output. Also checked https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ for info, didn't find anything (not sure what to search for, cause my terms don't work)

ape
January 1st, 2006, 10:46 AM
veracation,

The way to set variables depends on your shell derivative:

If you are using an sh derivative (bash, zsh, etc...) you would issue the following command:

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib:${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}

If you are using a csh derivative (csh, tcsh) you would issue the following command:

setenv LD_LIBRARY_PATH /usr/local/lib:${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}

After running either one of these commands, you should be able to issue `echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH` and see what you have set.

veraction
January 1st, 2006, 05:05 PM
ah, thanks. I'm using bash. I had tried setenv, but now I understand