PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can load Ubuntu

dhensby
March 27th, 2009, 06:45 PM
I recently used DBAN (Darik's Boast and Nude) to prepare my computer for recycling. I wanted to put Ubuntu on the machine to try it out to see if I like it or not before giving it to recyclers.

When I load the CD into the drive and start the computer I get:

"Operating System not found"

What now?

dandnsmith
March 27th, 2009, 06:47 PM
Sounds like it is trying to boot from the hard disk, rather than the CD, as that is a typical response from trying to boot an empty disk.

dhensby
March 27th, 2009, 08:16 PM
I set the boot sequence to CD first.

graysky
March 27th, 2009, 08:30 PM
Does the machine boot from the CDROM with another bootable disk? If the answer is yes, then you probably have a bad Ubuntu disk. Just as an FYI, you can run Ubuntu in 'live' mode without making a single change to your PC just by booting the CD and selecting the 'live' option (default). Just know that you're running live LINUX off the CD and it'll be much slower than if you installed it onto your HDD.

Another option is for you to pull the HDD out of the PC you're planning to recycle and put it in your 'main desktop' computer as a 2nd or 3rd HDD. Install Ubuntu on that and dual boot your system.

wpshooter
March 27th, 2009, 09:44 PM
I set the boot sequence to CD first.

Sounds like to me that you do NOT actually have a bootable Ubuntu CD. Did you BURN the ISO image to the CD or did you just copy the ISO image to the CD as DATA. You must BURN the image to the CD. Burn it at 4x or slower if possible and make sure that when you initially boot to a BURNED Ubuntu CD, that the first thing that you do is to check the integrity of the Ubuntu CD by running the verification function that is found on the initial Ubuntu boot screen menu.

Good luck.

dhensby
March 27th, 2009, 10:21 PM
I tried the windows setup disk to test the CD drive and it worked. I then put the Ubuntu disk in another computer and ran the live and checked the integrity of the disk, all fine. Put the Ubuntu back in the computer and it started to load!

Thanks everyone, just some weird issue, I guess.

1BigBore
March 28th, 2009, 03:32 AM
<snip>>
Thanks everyone, just some weird issue, I guess.

When I was trying to boot Ubuntu onto an old computer, I had a similar problem, and it turned out to be an old MotherBoard battery. The changes that I would make to the BIOS would not stay.
For what it might be worth. :rolleyes: