PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] upgrade to 8.04 now strange firefox problem

prezbedard
March 27th, 2009, 04:23 PM
I just upgraded to 8.04 after just a few months of 7.10

I now have firefox 3.0.7. When I go to a radio station site that I listen to the internet stream the page that has the stream it does not load completely. I also have firefox 3.0.5 downloaded from getfirefox.com This ver is not installed I just launch it from the folder on my desktop. When I go to this same site in this version everything is fine. Doesn't make much sense to me. Are there big differences in 3.0.5 & 3.0.7

Here is the link to the stream so you know how it works and maybe can tell me what is not loading properly

http://player.streamtheworld.com/_players/entercom/player/?id=WEEI

The radio station website is weei.com You click Live in the upper right hand corner to listen

Thanks!

prezbedard
March 28th, 2009, 08:44 PM
update manager upgraded firefox to 3.0.8 but the same thing still happens. I don't get it. The player loads but not completely yet when I run 3.0.5 from the desktop it works flawlessly. Perhaps differences between the Ubuntu version and the mMzillia direct version?

jo4hnc
March 28th, 2009, 10:11 PM
Did you check to see if you have the updated plugins for Firefox? I treid the link and it loaded just fine. Try going in to synaptic and look for flashplugiin-nonfree, install it and see if that resolves the problem.

John

prezbedard
March 28th, 2009, 10:34 PM
I checked and I do have that installed. I did a direct install of install_flash_player_10_linux.deb and still no luck. Both version have shockwave flash installed same version. 3.0.8 also has gnash the free version as well I tried disabling that but it loaded even less of the page.

jo4hnc
March 28th, 2009, 10:45 PM
A ghost in the machine??

Here is a guide to installing Flash with some fixes detailed. Maybe it will help.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=772490&highlight=flash+problems

Even though it states that its for 64 bit, there is other info there too.

j

prezbedard
March 29th, 2009, 03:42 AM
Sweet!! It worked. Thanks so much. :)

jo4hnc
March 29th, 2009, 04:39 AM
My pleasure. One thing I've found is that the more you learn, the more you can help!!