PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Split Screen Issue

oceanix
March 27th, 2009, 04:13 PM
I have a problem. I installed Ubuntu, and now the monitor has issues. There are four 'segments' to my screen. They aren't all equal in size. The leftmost segment shows the left most part of the desktop, up to the firefox icon. The next segment shows everything from the sound icon right. The next segment only shows the applications icon, and the last shows part of the time right.

How can I fix this? I can't see all of the screen, and it makes it very difficult to use.

Mark Phelps
March 29th, 2009, 02:48 AM
You could try going into System --> Preferences --> Screen Resolution and selecting a lower resolution.

If that doesn't fix it, Ubuntu isn't loading the correct video drivers for your card or chipset.

In that case, you would have to find and install the proper video drivers -- which is why they provide the LiveCD to try this stuff out BEFORE you install it.

oceanix
March 29th, 2009, 06:40 AM
Okay. Thanks. I'll just revert back to Win 2000 if that doesn't work.

Mark Phelps
March 29th, 2009, 05:10 PM
It's your call, of course, but I wouldn't give up on Linux just yet.

I've experimented with installing different distros on several machines and found that the newer versions of Ubuntu have far more display problems than the older versions.

In one case, for example, I couldn't get anything newer than 7.04 to yield full screen resolution.

You should consider trying PC Linux OS or Mint. I've had experience with both of them yielding better display results. You can find them on the distrowatch.com website.